Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:54 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

A new horror movie just generated tremendous buzz at the Sundance Film Festival.

Get Out. While it hasn't been released yet, the trailer has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

It was written and produced by first-time film maker Jordan Peele, one half of the comedy duo Key & Peele, who wrote some brilliant sketches for SNL in 2008. They haven't been seen much for the past few years, so when I noticed Peele had gone into the movies, I was curious to see his first effort.

I've never been much of a horror fan, but for about a year, I have been watching a lot of horror movies to try to learn what makes one a massive hit that becomes a classic, like The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, The Exorcist, or even the original King Kong, while others don't seem to sink in to the public consciousness, even when they do well at the box office.

What I've observed is the horror flicks that are remembered for decades after their release all have some skillful use of the things a large group of folks all fear very much. Stuff that happens, or can happen to almost anyone, but are particularly fearful for some important part of our population.

Rosemary's Baby, for example, strikes horror by using a pregnant young woman. Pregnancy is a time when women are vulnerable to lots of bad things, so women are naturally fearful of those threats, and so are men, because they, too fear for their pregnant women. So do their parents, friends, and all, so as a theme, it touches almost everyone.

Rosemary's Baby works so well because it ratchets up one emotion until another develops. At first, there's some curiosity. Then it turns to apprehension, a stronger emotion, then anxiety and tension, stronger still, and then fear, still stronger, and ends in terror, the strongest of all emotions. And very well staged, too, bit by bit by bit.

After watching the trailer, I think this movie will be a huge and very talked-about hit, much like all those on the list above. Peele is a very perceptive and sharp black guy, and it seems he has tapped into some of the fears black folks have most, and this may be a must-see flick for them.

At the same time, I think white folks will want to see it just as much for similar, or different reasons. As a white guy who has some black friends, I related to the black protagonist, and at the same time, was stunned by some of the things in the trailer that could be horrific to anyone, black or white. Some scary stuff, when done right, scares everyone, of any race, just the same.

At the same time, I think this movie will also generate a ton of conversation about race in much the same way Brokeback Mountain did about gays.

All together, this makes me think it will be a whacking bit hit movie, and if it is as good as the trailer, may be an award contender.

One thought I had was; whoever edited and put the trailer together is gonna get a lot of work very soon. It totally grabbed me, and made me want to watch the movie when it comes out, and I think it will have the same effect on everyone who sees it. If trailers won Academy Awards, this one is a sure contender. Love it or hate it, I guarantee you will watch the trailer to the end. And come away thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 06:20 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
I saw this trailer a month ago. I have been wanting to see this one. It looks so good.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Movie looked interesting but perhaps revealed a bit much.
I don't know who he is but I found the lead actor super annoying, not sure if it is his acting or looks (droopy eyes) or the "meh" facial impression.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:37 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Looks interesting. Maybe a new twist on the " Weird residents in a creepy small town" genre.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
It's got a perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes....

Who Is Going to Ruin Get Out‘s Perfect Score on Rotten Tomatoes? | SPIN

That's amazing! And now I totally am confirmed to want to see it. Planned to put it on the wait for Netflix list. But hey good reviews..

Old 02-25-2017, 10:13 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
What if they did the inverse where a white girl travels to the ghetto for Kwanzaa. And the entire movie was hunt the cracka as she tries to ecape the hood. I assume the media would slaughter it and rotten tomatoes would not be 100%.

Just sayin

Old 02-25-2017, 02:41 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
For the record, outstanding movie. Not sure I'd call it perfect and it isn't among the best movies I've seen (I don't think lol) but it is deserving of praise and nomination. Terrific acting, great casting, great writing, old story told in a creative a fresh sense. Not perfect, but very, very good, easily one of the best films I've seen in a while. Good for Jordan Peele!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
What if they did the inverse where a white girl travels to the ghetto for Kwanzaa. And the entire movie was hunt the cracka as she tries to ecape the hood. I assume the media would slaughter it and rotten tomatoes would not be 100%.

Just sayin
I knew somebody would start this BS. There is a whole lot I could say in response to this comment bit I'll just say, the movie apparently isn't for you....

I can provide context without giving away the movie but I certainly recommend it to anyone considering watching it!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Saw it yesterday. It was really interesting, funny in a satire way, very original, and not a dull moment. Star Daniel Kaluuya plays the role pretty straight, no mugging, and his reactions to subtle racism by "well-meaning white liberals" are on-spot. Twisty and complex, it doesn't dumb it down for the audience and I was still putting plot lines together after I left the theatre. Catherine Keener plays a psychiatrist with bad intentions to the hilt. Worth seeing.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I can't help wondering if this movie had come out a year ago if it would have received the same 100% on Rotten Tomatoes...

Old 02-26-2017, 03:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I can't help wondering if this movie had come out a year ago if it would have received the same 100% on Rotten Tomatoes...
I found it quite entertaining. A little satire of so many horror movie tropes. And this topic is timeless. At least in my lifetime. I think it would have done well last year but feels extra timely this year.

The theater I went to had a mixed crowd in ethnicity and age so it must feel pretty universal. And it was a good old fashioned standard horror movie. Where the black guy doesn't die in the first 2 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies