Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Star Wars: The Last Jedi become all-time tops in ticket sales?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,990,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
What are ya'lls predictions for box office? I say $2,300,000,000 international (making it #2) and just shy of $1,000,000,000 domestic....if it is a hit, I bet the final chapter will break $1 billion domestically.
It's a middle movie in a Star Wars trilogy, and usually they seem to always dip a bit in revenue. Although, interestingly, when adjusted for inflation, Empire did better than ROTJ:

All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation (Currently, no. 13 and no. 16, respectively.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
*Yes, Willie, that is exactly why TFA made the money it did — i.e. the legacy. A yuge fiscal win for Dizz Knee, indeed.
Yeah, and it was the right thing for Disney to do. Especially since a lot of people really, really enjoyed TFA. It's just the old jaded folks like us who thought that it was a rehash. Plus, I had heard that to a lot of little kids(who would view 2005 and before that as ancient history), this is all new stuff to them.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Arguably WB had that with Batman V. Superman though they definitely saw it with Suicide Squad and Fox saw that a little bit with X-Men: Apocalyspe and it effected the box office more.
But I thought that BVS had some anticipointment, XMA had more... but that SS performed pretty good. Considering that it was about a group of villains who functioned as the heroes. Also, here's an interesting point of view in this article:

Quote:
Following the mixed reaction to Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, fans of the DC Extended Universe were hopeful that David Ayer’s Suicide Squad would become the bona fide critical and commercial hit the franchise needed to regain some forward momentum. Unfortunately, the villain team-up was another polarizing installment that failed to win over any new converts. There’s no denying that the film has its fair share of fans, but it wasn’t met with the universal praise some were hoping for. On the box office side of things, however, the story was quite different.

. . .

Ultimately, Suicide Squad should go down as a box office success. In terms of global ticket sales, it’s already covered its budget, and there will be other revenue streams (home media, merchandising) to add to the totals as time goes on. Given that the Joker, and possibly Harley Quinn, were the only characters casual viewers were familiar with heading in, the numbers it’s posted so far are highly impressive and highlight that if nothing else, WB employs a killer marketing team that can sell just about any concept.
Suicide Squad: Box Office Success Or Failure? | Screen Rant

Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,542,031 times
Is that like, "The Last Jedi, there are no more, they're all dead"?
or,
"I'm sorry, we don't rent to Jedi, The Last Jedi we let in trashed the place."

Old 08-16-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Is that like, "The Last Jedi, there are no more, they're all dead"?
or,
"I'm sorry, we don't rent to Jedi, The Last Jedi we let in trashed the place."
Click on the 4:11 mark of the video that I posted a few pages ago.

Or better yet, I'll post the video here.

STAR WARS 8: New Clip + Trailer (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcuuwn_wTjg

Old 08-17-2017, 10:01 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Yeah, and it was the right thing for Disney to do. Especially since a lot of people really, really enjoyed TFA. It's just the old jaded folks like us who thought that it was a rehash. Plus, I had heard that to a lot of little kids(who would view 2005 and before that as ancient history), this is all new stuff to them.
Well, yeah, if I was born in 2003-5, then a 2015 movie would be new to me.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
It seemed mostly fresh though and not a beast by beast retelling like other reboots lately seem to have been.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM

22,935 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Aren't parents required by law to show their kids Episodes IV, V, and VI? If not, we need a law. It'll be the best law in the world, folks. Trust me. And George Lucas will pay for it. Believe me, folks.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
But I thought that BVS had some anticipointment, XMA had more... but that SS performed pretty good. Considering that it was about a group of villains who functioned as the heroes. Also, here's an interesting point of view in this article:

Suicide Squad: Box Office Success Or Failure? | Screen Rant
Anticipointment doesn't mean that we can't see the film is profitable, it is just a hyped up film that sucks. Hence the Suicide Squad lump in. Transformers Age of Extinction and Spider-Man 3 are also cases of anticipointment that still made good domestic money. Many tight Rogue One would have been.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,542,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Aren't parents required by law to show their kids Episodes IV, V, and VI? If not, we need a law. It'll be the best law in the world, folks. Trust me. And George Lucas will pay for it. Believe me, folks.
Which versions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies