Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:29 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
DJ Flash was Flash Thompson of today. I work at a high school and you don't see the Flash from the classic Flash Thompson, you would see THIS Flash who uses his words far more than his physical attributes. It was a similar way to keep the film relevant. The comments made the film seem like a high school movie. All other Spider-Man movies in high school, didn't get that. Even the Raimi classic.

Michelle being MJ don't mean we can't see Mary Jane Watson at all you know. Peter met MJ while in COLLEGE where he met Gwen Stacy as well. In fact, he met Gwen BEFORE MJ. Maybe Michelle is a placeholder in a way for Sony (and even Marvel) for Peter to have a love interest because we all know you can't do a superhero movie without a romantic lead... This is a trope I wish would go away.
I'll always have a soft spot for the Raimi/McGuire Spider-man because it was truest to the original comics--and I was right there in the Silver Age.

But I can understand the shift to the newer look for a new audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'll always have a soft spot for the Raimi/McGuire Spider-man because it was truest to the original comics--and I was right there in the Silver Age.

But I can understand the shift to the newer look for a new audience.
Oh don't get me wrong, Spider-Man 2 STILL holds up. Spider-Man was great and I happen to like Spider-Man 3 more than most, maybe even as much as Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man. That said, THIS was the high school Spider-Man movie we all wanted from Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man but didn't have to bore us with the same old Uncle Ben died while you could have done something to the killer but didn't (the Marc Webb version in The Amazing Spider-Man I hated, not even because it wasn't true to the wrestling promoter, but that it showed Parker out of character.) But Spider-Man: Homecoming showed some heroes don't need it. Now if only we can get a Batman series to start without a walk in front of a movie house...

Old 07-12-2017, 07:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
None of the Spidey films have come close to Spider-Man 2. It stands up cus filmmakers weren't obsessed with being so relevant. Now everything has to be relevant and it's get dated pretty quick.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#645bd4452f16

Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
None of the Spidey films have come close to Spider-Man 2. It stands up cus filmmakers weren't obsessed with being so relevant. Now everything has to be relevant and it's get dated pretty quick.
Back then the superhero movie tropes were only in dated movies. Even though Tim Burton's Batman would have only been 15 years old, it is a bit dated while Superman looked REALLY dated. Blade and X-Men were the only serious comic book movies in town at the time and no connected universes existed other than a sequel to a movie.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Regardless if it performs better than The Amazing Spider-Man or not, Spider-Man: Homecoming is the best Spider-Man film I've seen since Spider-Man 2, if not better. This was the fun yet high stakes Spider-Man movie I've wanted since I heard Venom was only a bit villain in Spider-Man 3.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Back then the superhero movie tropes were only in dated movies. Even though Tim Burton's Batman would have only been 15 years old, it is a bit dated while Superman looked REALLY dated. Blade and X-Men were the only serious comic book movies in town at the time and no connected universes existed other than a sequel to a movie.
While I think both movies you mentioned are dated, their stories are not. I feel as though movies today are wat more dated because they use too many pop culture references and current tech. The X Men movies are not included I think they've been pretty good with not doing this. The MCU though is just a muddled mess to me.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
While I think both movies you mentioned are dated, their stories are not. I feel as though movies today are wat more dated because they use too many pop culture references and current tech. The X Men movies are not included I think they've been pretty good with not doing this. The MCU though is just a muddled mess to me.
Superman is dated even in the Golden Age real estate plot. Batman was more so of the later two Batman movies that Burton was not apart of. Blade and X-Men were fairly fresh at the time and then Spider-Man swept in at the right time with classic story plots we've seen with the Gwen Stacy Death (though MJ didn't die.)

The Marvel Cinematic Universe isn't a mess. When it comes to inter-connected films, the MCU is the best and most organized of the four universes. DC cannot get their film slate in order and directors tied down. That and the tone is too Snyder for me. I don't like the overly dark palate for every single movie. X-Men and I LOVE X-Men have the issue of timelines. Their last three films (Deadpool, X-Men: Apocalypse and Logan) all were in their own timelines. Logan was in the post-X-Men: Days of Future Past future while Apocalypse was in a weird period of the Days of Future Past timeline (I love those two movies but how did Weapon X only FINALLY get his claws 10 years after "Stryker" captured him?) Then Sony has plans for their own Spider-Man related movies with Venom and Black and Silver that wont be tied to Spider-Man: Homecoming and its sequels, nor the MCU.

The MCU is not without problems. The Incredible Hulk has yet to be in a good movie as the lead. I think at this point, he plain doesn't translate to screen. Thor: The Dark World was horrible, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 while I liked them, I'm fine to say that most didn't. I happen to love Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (more so than Wonder Woman) but I know people thought it was too jokey (though not as bad as the original.) Spider-Man: Homecoming at worst, is the second best Spider-Man movie I've seen.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Sorry but this one of those films where I am going to get creamed for being a kill joy. The movie is the biggest example of bandwagon-ism I've ever seen.

For the most part I don't want to totally crap over a film I know many people enjoyed, and I know they enjoyed it because for the most part it did it's job as being an entertaining flick to spend two hours to. I get that but I think that always focusing on how "fun" a movie is, we lose standards that used to apply to movies. Basic stuff too.

The film had really bad pacing and sloppy editing. It just felt like a bunch of scenes haphazardly slapped together. The dialogue was kind of cringey and the jokes were non stop. Every single character in this film had a witty line and there was never a straight man to balance the comic relief. It's another one of the many movies out these days where every character is some comic.

DJ Flash? MJ as Michelle Jones, not Mary Jane? I mean, it was laughable how they tried to shoehorn these into the story.

On the overuse of current technology, I kind of gave up on that criticism because people don't see it as an excuse for lazy writing and blatant corporate advertising but instead see it as making the film relevant.

All in all, I think I figured out the problem with films these days. On a technical level from the writing, editing, special effects, they're garbage, but as far as mindless entertainment to kill two hours to, they're perfect. I enjoyed this film but only because I shut off that critical part of my brain that just sours fun movies. And that was great.

I really think people don't care about the technical stuff and just want to enjoy fun films. I get that now.
If a movie is bad, you should crap on it,

that being said, I think most of what you said is strictly opinion with the exception of Flash and MJ, which are both Fan boy complaints, not movie critiques from a technical stand point.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If a movie is bad, you should crap on it,

that being said, I think most of what you said is strictly opinion with the exception of Flash and MJ, which are both Fan boy complaints, not movie critiques from a technical stand point.
Wouldn't anything I say about this movie be strictly an opinion? From a technical standpoint the movie was lacking but it's standard for movies today that care less about that and just want to shoehorn other stuff into the story.

I get that people don't look at that stuff and just zone out to enjoy the film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies