Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:22 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times

Advertisements

At my age, I've seen all the American-made Tarzan movies from Johnny Weissmuller's 1930s movies to date. The last couple of iterations have avoided the obvious cultural issues only by eliminating Africans entirely. This one has the least cringeworthy representation of Africans yet, by essentially making Tarzan the friend and hero of every living creature native to Africa.

Since we all know the origin of Tarzan, this movie thankfully presents that only in short flashback scenes. It starts with John Clayton III as an English gentleman with his Tarzan background being a matter of past interest that he has no intention of returning to (although he and Lady Jane still like a bit of the jungle boogie in private).

John has received an invitation from King Leopold to visit Congo and to see how well things were going in his old homeland. That is an invitation to a trap, because John has an old enemy, Djimon Hounsou, who wants his head on a pike. Hounsou is the chief of a tribe that controls diamonds King Leopold desperately needs, and Hounsou's price is John Clayton.

John has no intention of accepting Leopold's invitation until urged by Samuel L Jackson to investigate slavery perpetrated by King Leopold of Belgium in John's old Congo homeland. Because John has lots of homies back there (both human and animal), he decides to investigate the charges. And of course, Jane ("I am no damsel") is far too feminist to stay behind in England.

Here is something I found paradoxical: Jackson's character "George Washington Williams" seems totally pasted onto the story. Yet, his character is the only historical character in the movie. There really was a black man named George Washington Williams who was everything Jackson's character claimed, including traveling to the Congo to investigate slavery and the letter of protest to King Leopold (except, of course, hanging out with a dude named "Tarzan"). It's paradoxical that the one element of reality seemed so unnecessary to the plot.

They also didn't do very much with Hounsou. He was good, but they could have paid much less money for an unknown to do the little that Hounsou did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,362,305 times
I might catch the DVD on this one some day.

I don't understand why studios keep making TARZAN movies but never actually put the Burroughs's stories onscreen. The only one that has even come a little bit close was the old Saturday morning cartoon from the '70s.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 PM

18,162 posts, read 15,671,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I might catch the DVD on this one some day.

I don't understand why studios keep making TARZAN movies but never actually put the Burroughs's stories onscreen. The only one that has even come a little bit close was the old Saturday morning cartoon from the '70s.
Oh so true. That old.cartoon was the only on screen make that did the Burroughs stories any justice at all. This new make doesn'toil like any exception.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh so true. That old.cartoon was the only on screen make that did the Burroughs stories any justice at all. This new make doesn'toil like any exception.
Some stories are too outdated to be "done justice" in a modern era. Burroughs stories in particular seem to be hopelessly dated without substantial changes, which is why even excellently authentic "John Carter of Mars" adaptations do not do well at the box office.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Some stories are too outdated to be "done justice" in a modern era.
I don't disagree, which is why I've never been able to read too far in to the Tarzan series. I'm all for a suspension of disbelief in fantasy. But Tarzan doesn't push the envelope. It shreds it.

That said, there was a lot to love about the basic concept of the original stories that none of the film adaptations have ever tried to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Burroughs stories in particular seem to be hopelessly dated without substantial changes, which is why even excellently authentic "John Carter of Mars" adaptations do not do well at the box office.
I don't know. I watched the movie, and it was certainly lacking something. Being "dated" wasn't the problem with that story. The problem was completely bland characters. Not a single character was the least bit engaging from beginning to end.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:09 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,638,809 times
John Carter (of Mars) is a good movie. It was horribly promoted.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
John Carter (of Mars) is a good movie. It was horribly promoted.
It was an okay movie. Nothing about it ever struck me as bad. But it never rose enough to be engaging. I sat through the whole thing, but I could have stood up and walked away at any time in the movie and not felt like I was really missing anything.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,454,543 times
If I had not been with a friend I would have gotten my $$ back after 30-40 minutes.
I knew at 15 minutes, "Oh brother, is this slooooow."
Only in the last 30min did I gain any interest ...but it wasn't much.
And it had nothing filmed in Africa according to SL Jackson on late night talk shows.

And I love Alex Skarsgard and his wife was beautiful....but...they could not save this movie.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If I had not been with a friend I would have gotten my $$ back after 30-40 minutes.
I knew at 15 minutes, "Oh brother, is this slooooow."
Only in the last 30min did I gain any interest ...but it wasn't much.
And it had nothing filmed in Africa according to SL Jackson on late night talk shows.

And I love Alex Skarsgard and his wife was beautiful....but...they could not save this movie.
Nothing with the cast was filmed in Africa, but background rolls were filmed in Gabon.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,077,725 times
Too much CGI. Too many unrealistic scenes that had him swinging on vines like Spider Man. And there is a dinner scene with the wife and her captor that is totally stolen from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies