Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which summer blockbusters will you be looking forward to the most?
The Jungle Book 4 26.67%
The Huntsman 2 2 13.33%
Keanu 2 13.33%
Ratchet & Clank 0 0%
Civil War 7 46.67%
Angry Birds 1 6.67%
Neighbors 2 4 26.67%
Alice 2 1 6.67%
X-Men: Apocalypse 5 33.33%
TMNT: Out of the Shadows 3 20.00%
Warcraft 1 6.67%
Finding Dory 0 0%
Independence Day 2 3 20.00%
The Purge 3 4 26.67%
Ghostbusters 2 13.33%
Ice Age 5 0 0%
Star Trek Beyond 3 20.00%
Jason Bourne 3 20.00%
Suicide Squad 7 46.67%
Ben-Hur 0 0%
Pete's Dragon 1 6.67%
Sausage Party 2 13.33%
Kubo 1 6.67%
War Dogs 1 6.67%
Other (name it) 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ditto. I'll check it out on DVD. Nothing I need to see in the theater.

My kids have informed me they will kick me out of the house if we don't go see CAP 3. So I guess I'm going to that one.

I might also get talked in to SUICIDE SQUAD, depending on how initial reactions are upon release.
Keanu looks to be a John Wick parody. I may catch it but not opening weekend so that makes it hard as often when you miss a film, it is hard to catch up in a busy summer season.

Civil War looks epic partially due to the Russos being behind the camera again after their snagging work on Winter Soldier.

Suicide Squad looks like Expendables with comic book villains and Batman so I'm in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Civil War looks epic partially due to the Russos being behind the camera again after their snagging work on Winter Soldier.
I loved the first two Captain America movies. But honestly I'm getting kind of tired of all super hero movies being nothing more than the Good Guys punching the Bad Guys till one side stops punching. If there is more to this movie than that, I'm not seeing it in the trailers. I'm ready for super hero movies to break formula a bit. Maybe aim a little higher than guys punching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Suicide Squad looks like Expendables with comic book villains and Batman so I'm in.
I hope it'll be great. Jury is still out. Harley looks great. Joker looks like he could be amazing or horrible. The rest of the cast ... I dunno. It does remind me a lot of The Expendables, which I didn't like at all. Very dumb movie with boring action scenes. So this could be another Guardians of the Galaxy (big dumb fun) or it could be another Batman Forever (just dumb). The studio being in panic mode and ordering last minute reshoots does not bode well. Any time the suits start monkeying with the movie, it never ends well.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 PM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
It looks to be an extremely weak Summer movie line up with lots of disasters and disappointments.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I loved the first two Captain America movies. But honestly I'm getting kind of tired of all super hero movies being nothing more than the Good Guys punching the Bad Guys till one side stops punching. If there is more to this movie than that, I'm not seeing it in the trailers. I'm ready for super hero movies to break formula a bit. Maybe aim a little higher than guys punching.
That is a limitation for many "super" heroes. For instance unless you have powers like Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Superman, Doctor Strange, Spider-man, etc. you can't really have them not do the punch fights. Captain America has to do it, Batman has to do it, Flash does it but in a different way, Wonder Woman has to do it, Wolverine has to if he can't use adamantium on his foe, Deadpool has to when he can't use guns and swords. I can go on. I must say that I stand behind the 1990's Spider-Man animated tv show for being a great series due to the limitations of no punching imposed in the wake of Ninja Turtles and similar shows on at the time.

Quote:
I hope it'll be great. Jury is still out. Harley looks great. Joker looks like he could be amazing or horrible. The rest of the cast ... I dunno. It does remind me a lot of The Expendables, which I didn't like at all. Very dumb movie with boring action scenes. So this could be another Guardians of the Galaxy (big dumb fun) or it could be another Batman Forever (just dumb). The studio being in panic mode and ordering last minute reshoots does not bode well. Any time the suits start monkeying with the movie, it never ends well.
Suicide Squad works with that concept. With the name "suicide squad," we know someone on the team will perish at some point. The Expendables was really good in the first and OK in the second (Chuck Norris needing guns, please) and I never saw the third but I own it (Black Friday deal.) I think it could be another Guardians but in a different way but it don't seem as funny as it was, even in the trailers. Suicide Squad is much more serious and action heavy in its trailer.

I still rather seeing Batman Forever than Batnipples & Robin...

About reshoots, many films do reshoots today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It looks to be an extremely weak Summer movie line up with lots of disasters and disappointments.
Well it will be the last year that isn't overloaded with comic book movies. I believe next year is four with Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Wonder Woman, Kingsman 2 and Spider-Man and that is not including if Fox adds an X-Men film (hey, Deadpool 2 is getting fast-tracked and both X-Force and The New Mutants are in various development (though it wont be Gambit now...)) You will also see Wolverine III, Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League though none of those are summer movies. And FYI, I am a comic book movie fan. By comparison, this year you only have three (Civil War, X-Men: Apocalypse and Suicide Squad.)

I think it is a better year on paper than past years. No Transformers but some sequels and we also see a lot of fresh ideas like Secret Life of Pets, Warcraft, The BFG, Suicide Squad (despite being a comic book movie) Spectral and Kubo and the Two Strings.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:12 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
It's based on the Civil War storyline, so yeah, it will be.

Besides, many of the newer comic book films are deeper and more than just "good guys punching bad guys". Watchmen sure was and that came out in '09.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:38 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,151,833 times
Quote:
Movie Season: 2016... looking forward to the most?
Everybody Wants Some!! (2016), Richard Linklater

Knight of Cups (2015), Terrence Malick

Paterson (2016), Jim Jarmusch

Silence (2016), Martin Scorsese

Wiener-Dog (2016), Todd Solondz

Love & Friendship (2016), Whit Stillman

Certain Women (2016), Kelly Reichardt

Jason Bourne (2016), Paul Greengrass

Old 04-12-2016, 03:45 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
None of those, and I'm kind of horrified at how many are sequels/franchises.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:25 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That's business.

Besides, a lot of people don't realize that there have been "sequels" ever since the beginning of storytelling. It's nothing new.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's easy money because franchises typically increase ticket sales from movie to movie with limited promotion. A movie like Hardcore Henry cost $10m to make and likely another $10m for promotion (easy.) That movie needs to make about $40m to be profitable after you take out the theater's cut of about half. HH made 5.1m in the opening weekend and is likely at 5.6-7m today. It isn't going to make it because of the risk of the film in concept, lack of branding, lack of stars (Tim Roth is the biggest in the movie) and being in between Batman V. Superman and The Jungle Book before the summer season kicks in. The good news, is it isn't a huge hit on the balance sheet as it is still a relative low cost film (The Boss was double its budget for crying out loud.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies