Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,957,973 times

Advertisements

The movie was awesome!!!! She's compassionate and a bad azz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:04 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,993,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, I know. But the mission she was preaching was "Love." But that Love was never defined.

"People ought to love one another." "Why are you treating each other so badly?" "End this violence!" "Now let me show you how by killing fifty German soldiers before embarking on my assassination attempt."

I do think there is an argument to be made that force is sometimes necessary to bring about peace. But the movie never made that argument. We just got wishy-washy never defined platitudes about "Love."
Okay, I think that explains it more, but once again, see what I said in my post #525.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,957,973 times
Love was defined multiple times.
Love of her mother,aunt,amazons,the spy,women and children. (She was even in love with the cute baby)At the end she found her new love,love of earth and humans.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
So is that all that you came to this thread to say? lol
I was going to say that, but you beat me to it.

Then I was going to rep you, but I can't until I first find a few other people I like at least as much.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 PM

12,424 posts, read 8,214,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Lynda will be in the sequel.
Presumably she is not playing the President. Supergirl spoiler.
Spoiler
and an alien making it a fair fight for Wonder Woman

Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Oh, wow. Well, I'm sorry that you feel that way... However, I'm sure that nearly $400 million dollars worth of domestic fans probably feel differently.
You're right. That one line of cheesey dialogue totally explains this movie's success. How could I have been so blind?

Quote:
So, Mark... You think that a film with a lousy ending could end up making nearly $400 million dollars domestically? Because usually with a film like you described, people will usually say that they liked it, but that it was ruined at the end... And which usually affects the overall movie.
"Ruined" would be overstating the case. Lots of people besides me think that the climax was by far the weakest part of an otherwise good movie.

Quote:
Well, apparently, Diana must have still been doubting her true power when fighting Ares... However, after Steve's death and then focusing on Steve's words, which were counter to the rhetoric that Ares had been feeding her about how horrible mankind was and how they deserved to be destroyed... Diana became focused and was able to recall some of the things that Steve said, and which were the exact opposite to what Ares was hammering into her head.
I don't think you understand what the word "apparently" means.

Quote:
And as a result of that, she said the one famous line before destroying Ares: It's not about "deserve." It's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.
Thank you! That is EXACTLY the line I could not remember. So this character who just killed a few dozen people and set out to assassinate one guy at a dinner party believes in "Love." You don't see a disconnect there??? "I believe in love. Let me illustrate by killing dozens of people."

"Behold! I shall show the way to love and understanding by kickin' ass and not even caring to take names!"

Old 07-22-2017, 02:37 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,582,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
The movie was awesome!!!! She's compassionate and a bad azz!

Long time no see hotness!

Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
So, Mark... You think that a film with a lousy ending could end up making nearly $400 million dollars domestically? Because usually with a film like you described, people will usually say that they liked it, but that it was ruined at the end... And which usually affects the overall movie.
WONDER WOMAN is hardly the first good and/or successful movie to suffer from a weak ending. Just off the top of my head:

RETURN OF THE JEDI. Ewoks anyone? Anyone ...? Yet still one of the most successful movies ever made.

THE BLUES BROTHERS. Proving yet again that when John Landis can't figure out how to end a movie, he just has a bunch of car chases and mayhem. See also AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and ANIMAL HOUSE. (Although in the case of ANIMAL HOUSE, I think the ending works brilliantly.)

THE HOWLING. How shall we end this otherwise fantastic horror movie? I know! Let's have our heroine turn into a shih tzu on the 10 o'clock news!

PROMETHEUS. Great first act. Problematic second act. Train wreck in the third act.

THE AVENGERS. Diabolical Loki's master plan? I shall disrupt traffic in downtown Manhattan for a few hours!

THE WOLVERINE. Actually not a half bad flick until the final fight between hero and villain, which resorts to the same tired good guy punching bad guy until bad guy doesn't get up anymore.

TERMINATOR 2. Overall a great movie. But the Terminator's "thumbs up" at the end? Total cheese that ruined an otherwise bittersweet moment.

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. The entire movie definitely has problems, but the ending makes no sense at all. An ending worthy of the Batman TV show from the '60s. Yet the movie was a HUGE hit. The first globally succesful live-action super hero flick.

SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING. I had no big complaints with the final fight. But the denoument between Peter and Tony was dumb, as was May's last scene.

KILL BILL, VOL. 1. Great movie that ends with a live-action cartoonish bloodbath.

DJANGO UNCHAINED. Ditto.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:57 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
Quote:
WONDER WOMAN is hardly the first good and/or successful movie to suffer from a weak ending. Just off the top of my head:

RETURN OF THE JEDI. Ewoks anyone? Anyone ...? Yet still one of the most successful movies ever made.
The Ewoks were a disappointing way to go, but don't blame them. The movie's got all sort of problems, beginning with the horrible opening act at Jabba's Palace. I only like about 25 minutes of that (very overrated) movie.

Quote:
THE BLUES BROTHERS. Proving yet again that when John Landis can't figure out how to end a movie, he just has a bunch of car chases and mayhem. See also AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and ANIMAL HOUSE. (Although in the case of ANIMAL HOUSE, I think the ending works brilliantly.)
I disagree with all of this. TBB and AAWIL are awesome flicks.

Quote:
THE HOWLING. How shall we end this otherwise fantastic horror movie? I know! Let's have our heroine turn into a shih tzu on the 10 o'clock news!
Again, I disagree. You may not like the design of Dee Wallace [Stone]'s werewolf, but that was a great ending, not to mention the subsequent denouement.

Quote:
PROMETHEUS. Great first act. Problematic second act. Train wreck in the third act.
Big train wreck. No debate.

Quote:
THE AVENGERS. Diabolical Loki's master plan? I shall disrupt traffic in downtown Manhattan for a few hours!
When the Chitauri can be foiled by a super-team that includes an archer and a secret agent babe with no powers, you know the writing's off.

Quote:
THE WOLVERINE. Actually not a half bad flick until the final fight between hero and villain, which resorts to the same tired good guy punching bad guy until bad guy doesn't get up anymore.
The cinematic incarnation of the Silver Samurai failed to impress.

Quote:
TERMINATOR 2. Overall a great movie. But the Terminator's "thumbs up" at the end? Total cheese that ruined an otherwise bittersweet moment.
Exactly how I felt about that moment during my first viewing at the theater.

Quote:
SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. The entire movie definitely has problems, but the ending makes no sense at all. An ending worthy of the Batman TV show from the '60s. Yet the movie was a HUGE hit. The first globally succesful live-action super hero flick.
There's a problem with the ending, but it's not as offensive as other, er, offenders.

Quote:
KILL BILL, VOL. 1. Great movie that ends with a live-action cartoonish bloodbath.
Eh? No, the showdown at the very end rocked. "That IS a Hattori Hanzo sword!"

Quote:
DJANGO UNCHAINED. Ditto.
You forgot The Hateful Eight. But that movie's first act is just a setup for one long marathon bloodbath, anyway. But that's not the problem with the movie. The problem is it's gossamer-thin excuse for a "story."

Old 07-22-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
The Ewoks were a disappointing way to go, but don't blame them. The movie's got all sort of problems, beginning with the horrible opening act at Jabba's Palace. I only like about 25 minutes of that (very overrated) movie.
Agreed. The scenes between Luke and Vader are some of the best in the series. The rest of the movie is a mess.

Quote:
I disagree with all of this. TBB and AAWIL are awesome flicks.
THE BLUES BROTHERS and AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON are both great flicks. I did not mean to suggest otherwise. But both have weak endings. In fact, I'd go so far as to say AAWIL's ending is downright bad. It fails on two profound levels:

1. Logic. The movie has spent the entire time teaching us that David will become a werewolf on the full moon, and he does. Then he becomes a werewolf again the very next night. At no place on Earth or there two full moons two night's in a row. It just doesn't happen. The movie contradicts its own rules.

2. Emotion. The story sets us up for a tragic ending full of real pathos. David is wrestling with deciding whether or not to kill himself. He can't bring himself to do it. There is that great scene where he and Alex are talking in bed, and he says he thinks a werewolf can only be killed by someone who loves him. One of the best and most intimate scenes in the movie, in fact. But it's a total lie. Because how does David die? The cops shoot him in an alley. Cops who don't even know what they're doing. They think they're killing a stray dog. There is the old writing rule: "If you show a gun on the mantle in Act 1, it damned well better be used by Act 3." Landis gives us a great "emotional" gun in the story, then just keeps it on the mantle. That beautiful scene between David and Alex is totally meaningless.

Quote:
Eh? No, the showdown at the very end rocked.
It did not. It was goofy and stupid. The ending of KILL BILL VOL. 2 on the other hand was sheer genius.

Quote:
You forgot The Hateful Eight. But that movie's first act is just a setup for one long marathon bloodbath, anyway. But that's not the problem with the movie. The problem is it's gossamer-thin excuse for a "story."
I actually haven't seen THE HATEFUL EIGHT yet. Nothing in the previews excited me, and after the reviews started coming out, that movie went on my "Eh, maybe another time" shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies