Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 AM

22,938 posts, read 28,327,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yes, Wolverine sales. But in made a lot of sense as well. On the other hand times have changed scene the Avengers came out. Times are (dare I say it?) Darker. As I believe Iron Man said Wolverine Can do & go places they can't. Yes, it is a marketing ploy but one that works in The New Avengers.
The reason the New Avengers worked so well is simple: Brian Michael Bendis. A truly spectacular writer. One of the best comics has ever had. And yes, I enjoyed his work on the book for the most part.

That said, Wolverine still didn't fit. The Avengers were always more legit than the X-Men. If not sanctioned by the authorities, they were at least approved of. They were grown up Boy Scouts. The X-Men were not. The X-Men were outlaws. More like a super hero version of the Black Panthers. That is where Wolverine belongs.

Putting Wolverine in the Avengers would be like putting together a singing group of Pat Poone, Mel Torme, Lawrence Welk ... and Keith Richards. One of these things is not like the others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The reason the New Avengers worked so well is simple: Brian Michael Bendis. A truly spectacular writer. One of the best comics has ever had. And yes, I enjoyed his work on the book for the most part.

That said, Wolverine still didn't fit. The Avengers were always more legit than the X-Men. If not sanctioned by the authorities, they were at least approved of. They were grown up Boy Scouts. The X-Men were not. The X-Men were outlaws. More like a super hero version of the Black Panthers. That is where Wolverine belongs.

Putting Wolverine in the Avengers would be like putting together a singing group of Pat Poone, Mel Torme, Lawrence Welk ... and Keith Richards. One of these things is not like the others....

I agree that the X-men were outlaws but even the military has special groups that perform certain duties that would be considered illegal. Scott used Wolverine & a host of others as a type of special ops team too, It wasn't that Logan could do certain things but he could go places where they could not. I'm sure there were places in Japan for instance, where they rest wouldn't & can't go.

I like your Keith Richards analogy

Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
Quote:
It is the best film score of all time, and I will fight anyone who says differently.
Put 'em up! Because Thief is the best electronic film score. Conan the Barbarian is the best orchestral film score. "Ya gotta keep 'em separated!"*

*No, I'm not a fan of 'that' band.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Get off my lawn!

Seriously though, the 1990s were probably the single worst era of Marvel comics. The '60s, '70s, and early '80s were the Golden Age. In the '90s the Empire fell to the raving hordes, and civilization did not resurface until the early 2000s.
Word. I say '89 was pretty bad, too. The '90s were the pits. Once Liefeld's and Platt's art permeated everything, it was like an ever-spreading diarrhea slick you couldn't escape unless you took shelter under Love & Rockets. I also hated the fact that Marvel went into mutant overdrive. They were putting out X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, X-Holes, ad nauseum.

Plus, if you've never read Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales, that's one of the best books from any publisher. Schultz's art is right up there with Brian Bolland, Al Williamson, Wally Wood and Bernie Wrightson. It doesn't get better than that.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Put 'em up! Because Thief is the best electronic film score.
No. That would be BLADE RUNNER. And I say that as someone who hates 99% of electronic music.

Quote:
Conan the Barbarian is the best orchestral film score.
Yup.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
No. That would be BLADE RUNNER. And I say that as someone who hates 99% of electronic music.
Somebody's not familiar with Tangerine Dream's repertoire.

I'm also a fan of Vangelis – his studio albums, not just his soundtracks.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Word. I say '89 was pretty bad, too. The '90s were the pits. Once Liefeld's and Platt's art permeated everything, it was like an ever-spreading diarrhea slick you couldn't escape unless you took shelter under Love & Rockets. I also hated the fact that Marvel went into mutant overdrive. They were putting out X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, X-Holes, ad nauseum.

Plus, if you've never read Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales, that's one of the best books from any publisher. Schultz's art is right up there with Brian Bolland, Al Williamson, Wally Wood and Bernie Wrightson. It doesn't get better than that.
The multiple X-titles actually started in the 1980's with New Mutants (what ultimately became X-Force), X-Factor, Excalibur and of course X-Men. If I remember correctly the 1990's also had X-Men Blue team and X-Men gold team on top of X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur and solo titles for Cable, Deadpool and Wolverine. Then again I think into Secret Wars had at least three Avenger teams with The New Avengers (basically the Illuminati,) The Avengers and Uncanny Avengers. This is because in the 1990's X-Men and Spider-Man were Marvel's cash-cows. People like me got into the comics through the very comic like animated series for both universes. Of the eight Marvel animation series (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man Unlimited and The Avengers: United We Stand) only X-Men and Spider-Man are very fondly remembered by my age cohort.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The multiple X-titles actually started in the 1980's with New Mutants (what ultimately became X-Force), X-Factor, Excalibur and of course X-Men. If I remember correctly the 1990's also had X-Men Blue team and X-Men gold team on top of X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur and solo titles for Cable, Deadpool and Wolverine. Then again I think into Secret Wars had at least three Avenger teams with The New Avengers (basically the Illuminati,) The Avengers and Uncanny Avengers. This is because in the 1990's X-Men and Spider-Man were Marvel's cash-cows. People like me got into the comics through the very comic like animated series for both universes. Of the eight Marvel animation series (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man Unlimited and The Avengers: United We Stand) only X-Men and Spider-Man are very fondly remembered by my age cohort.
That, they did. I bought the first couple dozen issues of New Mutants and quit. Excalibur started in '88. When X-Men got rebooted is where I got off the ship permanently.

The first ongoing Avengers spinoff was West Coast Avengers, led by Hawkeye. It sucked.

X-Men and Spider-Man were Marvel's cash cows before the '90s. But Frank Miller's revamp also turned Daredevil into one of their top sellers, and a few issues even outsold Uncanny X-Men. Chris Claremont chose to "remedy" that by writing the first several issues of Marvel Fanfare (a slick, direct-sales-only anthology comic, which was pretty awesome) that found Spider-Man and some mutants getting tangled up in goings-on in Ka-zar's Savage Land.

When Frank Miller went to DC and created The Dark Knight Returns, the tears were flowing in the Marvel Bullpen. Just kidding. (Or am I?)

Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
People like me got into the comics through the very comic like animated series for both universes. Of the eight Marvel animation series (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man Unlimited and The Avengers: United We Stand) only X-Men and Spider-Man are very fondly remembered by my age cohort.
Yup. Both were quite good. I still enjoy watching them.

X-Men: Evolution from 10 years or so ago wasn't bad. It had a rather cheesey premise (more of a high school drama), but the episode introducing X-23 to the world was really good, as were the episodes leading in to Apocalypse.

The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon from a few years ago was okay. Definitely more for little kids, but still not bad.

Despite being a huge fan of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, I really can't stand the cartoon of the same name. They took the Spideyverse and gave it the tone of Pokemon.

I find it very sad that Marvel is now owned by Disney, the undisputed Overlord of animation in the world, yet they still can't put out a good Marvel cartoon.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Yup. Both were quite good. I still enjoy watching them.

X-Men: Evolution from 10 years or so ago wasn't bad. It had a rather cheesey premise (more of a high school drama), but the episode introducing X-23 to the world was really good, as were the episodes leading in to Apocalypse.

The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon from a few years ago was okay. Definitely more for little kids, but still not bad.

Despite being a huge fan of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, I really can't stand the cartoon of the same name. They took the Spideyverse and gave it the tone of Pokemon.

I find it very sad that Marvel is now owned by Disney, the undisputed Overlord of animation in the world, yet they still can't put out a good Marvel cartoon.
Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes (where I first truly saw Ant-Man and the Wasp as well as the Guardians of the Galaxy) was a truly great show, sadly it was ended so the look of the Avengers animated series could share a look with Ultimate Spider-Man (which is only good for showing Luke Cage, Iron Fist, (the most recent) White Tiger and (the most recent) Nova) as well as the movies. I actually am looking forward to the new Guardians of the Galaxy animated series with Will Fredle of Boy Meets World, Batman Beyond and Kim Possible fame (as well as being Ultimate Spider-Man's Deadpool) being Star-Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies