Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 AM

38,933 posts, read 24,023,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with DC's characters being mostly unknown at this stage. In the past, we've had movies, for better or for worse, that have featured Superman, Batman, Supergirl and Green Lantern.

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are the three most iconic. Aquaman and Captain Marvel aka Shazam are also pretty well-known. Thanks to the TV series, people are now familiar with [Green] Arrow and Flash. Supergirl is now getting her own show on CBS, and it's being promoted heavily.

There have been many complaints about Warner Bros. not following the Marvel Studios template. Keep in mind there were three characters (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America) who got solo movies before Avengers. That's it. Everyone else (Black Widow, Hawkeye, War Machine, Nick Fury) was in Iron Man 2. Fury was also in the post-credits scene of Iron Man.

By the time we get to Justice League, we'll have seen Superman (in two movies, just like Iron Man), Batman (as a co-headliner) and Wonder Woman introduced on a grand scale, not to mention some principal antagonists from the Bat-mythos: Joker, Killer Croc, Deadshot and Harley Quinn. We'll have met Aquaman, Cyborg and, presumably, the big screen Flash played by Ezra Miller.

We do not need another solo Batman film at this point. (It's actually being written now and will likely be made and released in just a few years). The Green Lantern reboot, announced at Comic Con this year, is titled Green Lantern Corps.

I think audiences will be able to get on just fine. Not everything has to be done "the Marvel way."
Green Lantern and Flash are known but say Cyborg, Shazam, most of the Suicide Squad (except maybe Deadshot (thanks to Arrow and The Joker and Harley Quinn as Killer Croc only was really known from the Batman animated series in the 1990's.) Granted Iron Man wasn't really known, and to a larger extent Thor.

X-Men movies aren't done "the Marvel way" I thought every movie besides Origins Wolverine was high stakes and fairly serious with a few jokes here and there. Granted they were more known for the most part due to the animated series.

Marvel shares Spider-Man with Sony for MCU movies, while X-men and Fantastic Four are entirely with Fox with no crossover. I rather have Fantastic Four to be in the MCU than X-Men. X-Men don't need it honestly. IMO, besides Avengers vs. X-Men, AXIS and House of M the X-Men mostly aren't in Avengers stories and you can adapt most stories without them. Granted we can't have Kitty Pryde and Peter Quill as a couple, but I'm fine with that... There are enough characters to do similar things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 05:23 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,607,562 times
Other then Batman I like everything that Marvel as done... so far. DC has been VERY good at their animated series & movies, Under The Redhood was GREAT!!!! That is just one example.

Marvel had a surprise for everyone & came out with DD. IF you haven't see it then you NEED to see it!

The fight scenes are great & very realistic & everyone in the show is perfectly cast for their roles in the show. I highly doubt that we will see ANYTHING this good from DC Marvel has sit the bar very high with this show, even to the point where they might not be able to duplicate the first season with the up coming second season. Guess we will have to wait & see.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,662,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Marvel had a surprise for everyone & came out with DD. IF you haven't see it then you NEED to see it!

The fight scenes are great & very realistic & everyone in the show is perfectly cast for their roles in the show. I highly doubt that we will see ANYTHING this good from DC Marvel has sit the bar very high with this show, even to the point where they might not be able to duplicate the first season with the up coming second season. Guess we will have to wait & see.
I'm unable to resist mentioning how much of what you're seeing, along with Batman v. Superman, is influenced by Frank Miller's run on the character.

As to Marvel setting a bar DC can't match, that's purely subjective. The Dark Knight is considered the benchmark film by many comics fans and ticketbuyers alike.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm unable to resist mentioning how much of what you're seeing, along with Batman v. Superman, is influenced by Frank Miller's run on the character.

As to Marvel setting a bar DC can't match, that's purely subjective. The Dark Knight is considered the benchmark film by many comics fans and ticketbuyers alike.

I did say OTHER the Batman meaning TDK series. I still think DD set the bar high for whatever comes next for super hero movies & TV.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,023,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I did say OTHER the Batman meaning TDK series. I still think DD set the bar high for whatever comes next for super hero movies & TV.
Not really, not all comics have a dark tone though. Until Man of Steel, Superman NEVER really had a dark tone besides the Death of Superman (and possibly Superman Lives.) That is the thing people need to realize, not all super hero films NEED to be what Nolan did or what the Russos did or the Marvel Netflix shows. Ant-Man can be a very fun and good film without touching the dark tone of Daredevil. DC seems to want to be dark. They need to make it work, I don't think it did in Man of Steel but Batman v. Superman looks like it will as does Suicide Squad (though honestly I need to see more from it.)

Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 AM

24,487 posts, read 23,191,079 times
The ONLY superhero movie I'm waiting to see is for them to do " The Mighty Heroes". Have Steve Buscemi as "Cuckoo Man", Brad Garrett as the voice of " Diaper man" and maybe Gary Busey as the villain " The Monsterizer."
That new Joker looked terrible. Suicide Squad looks to be horrible.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really, not all comics have a dark tone though. Until Man of Steel, Superman NEVER really had a dark tone besides the Death of Superman (and possibly Superman Lives.) That is the thing people need to realize, not all super hero films NEED to be what Nolan did or what the Russos did or the Marvel Netflix shows. Ant-Man can be a very fun and good film without touching the dark tone of Daredevil. DC seems to want to be dark. They need to make it work, I don't think it did in Man of Steel but Batman v. Superman looks like it will as does Suicide Squad (though honestly I need to see more from it.)

I was meaning dark overall I mean to say that in the case of DD the acting, storyline & overall feel of the show is (to me) beyond anything else Marvel/DC has done. Certain heroes are dark & they should be but I agree not all heroes have to be dark.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:07 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,147,456 times
Strange initial post mate, calling Marvel "hokey." Marvel invented the dark hero. Examples:

The Hulk- classic Jekyll and Hyde personality that would rather smash things than save someone. Only incidentally a hero.

Spiderman- driven by guilt over the fact that he is responsible for his uncle's death.

Daredevil- father was a alcoholic loser boxer and Daredevil struggles under the weight of making good for his sake.

Fantastic Four- the Thing is tormented by his ugliness, and Reed Richards because he is responsible for making his friend that way and can do nothing about it.

The X-Men- being a "mutant" is a metaphor for being different, and you can view it a different race, sexual orientation...whatever. They bear the burden of constantly having to save a world that would destroy them if it could.

Wolverine- a hero with a genuinely kind heart who simply cannot control his animalistic temper. Because his mind has been altered, he doesn't know who is is or why he acts like he does.

The Punisher- psychotic vigilante as hero.

etc. etc. Now, compare that to DC:

Superman- Complete farm boy dork. Until recently was best known for wearing his underpants on the outside of his tights. Nice cape. The sisters of perpetual indulgence were wondering if you are coming to the parade this year.

Wonder Woman- an Amazon woman who fights crime in a bikini.

Batman- Love batman, but Robin? Holy homoerotica!

Aquaman- a guy who talks to fish

Hawkman- a bird guy

The Flash- nice red rights. And the lighting bolt...VERY intimidating.

You get the picture.

Curiously, I think DC does better with villains of the two companies, and though I am a Marvel kid for life, I wish Joker, Brother Blood, and Soloman Grundy could cross companies.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,643,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Strange initial post mate, calling Marvel "hokey." Marvel invented the dark hero. Examples:

The Hulk- classic Jekyll and Hyde personality that would rather smash things than save someone. Only incidentally a hero.

Spiderman- driven by guilt over the fact that he is responsible for his uncle's death.

Daredevil- father was a alcoholic loser boxer and Daredevil struggles under the weight of making good for his sake.

Fantastic Four- the Thing is tormented by his ugliness, and Reed Richards because he is responsible for making his friend that way and can do nothing about it.

The X-Men- being a "mutant" is a metaphor for being different, and you can view it a different race, sexual orientation...whatever. They bear the burden of constantly having to save a world that would destroy them if it could.

Wolverine- a hero with a genuinely kind heart who simply cannot control his animalistic temper. Because his mind has been altered, he doesn't know who is is or why he acts like he does.

The Punisher- psychotic vigilante as hero.

etc. etc. Now, compare that to DC:

Superman- Complete farm boy dork. Until recently was best known for wearing his underpants on the outside of his tights. Nice cape. The sisters of perpetual indulgence were wondering if you are coming to the parade this year.

Wonder Woman- an Amazon woman who fights crime in a bikini.

Batman- Love batman, but Robin? Holy homoerotica!

Aquaman- a guy who talks to fish

Hawkman- a bird guy

The Flash- nice red rights. And the lighting bolt...VERY intimidating.

You get the picture.

Curiously, I think DC does better with villains of the two companies, and though I am a Marvel kid for life, I wish Joker, Brother Blood, and Soloman Grundy could cross companies.
I hear ya, bloke. Marvel certainly has its entourage, and I am most assuredly respecting your choice. Greatly appreciate your descriptions of my DC guys (and gal), as I'm slowly but reluctantly catching up!

Cheers!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,662,701 times
Quote:
Strange initial post mate, calling Marvel "hokey." Marvel invented the dark hero.
I'm not why you'd just gloss over Batman like that. He's the original dark superhero, inspired by both the Shadow and Zorro (even referenced in his origin), who as a kid witnessed both his parents killed in front of him in cold blood. Robin didn't come in till later because giving a hero a sidekick was trendy (Cap and Bucky, for instance). Also, in his earliest days...Batman carried a gun! Of course, they did away with that and emphasized his detective and combat skills and gadgetry.

The Punisher is one of my favorite characters, but he's an antihero, neither villain nor true hero.

(Also, writing Hawkman off as a "bird guy" is hasty. He comes from another planet.)

I also have to mention the X-Men were arguably a rip-off of DC's Doom Patrol, who initially sacrificed themselves in their final conflict (the writer decided to take them all out when the comic got cancelled, which was the first time anyone had done that).

You want dark DC characters? Swamp Thing (now there's a tragic story, one that got an amazing overhaul courtesy of Alan Moore), Sandman, Lobo, and how about those Watchmen?

Quote:
I am a Marvel kid for life, I wish Joker, Brother Blood, and Soloman Grundy could cross companies.
I can tell. It's all good. I love both companies, I just hate what Marvel has done with some of their characters in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies