Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 AM

580 posts, read 964,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Apologies if this has been done.

What'r your fave sci-fi movies.

Ones that I liked, that sort of stuck with me (from the recent past, past 20 years or so):

1. The Fifth Element

2. Pitch Black

3. The Matrix

There was something about these movies, something stylish or edgy or conceptually cool, about them, that rang my bells.
The Matrix trilogy was good. The Fifth Element wasn't that bad either. Never saw Pitch Black.

My favorites have to be Metropolis, Logan's Run, 2001: A Space Odyssey (sequels included), The Spielberg version of War of the Worlds (I liked how he put much more of the original story into it), Fahrenheit 451 (special effect led something to be desired but it was the 60s when that was made), Soylent Green, Frankenstein

I like a lot of the old movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,252 times
Did I hear a rumour they're remaking Logan's Run or is that just wishful thinking? Hopefully they won't make a pig's ear of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM

24,477 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

I cant even guess how many times ive watched this movie
That was a good one. I bought the DVD collection at Walmart for like $10 for the 3 movies. Weird I never heard of Pitch Black before. The first one was great, the second was animated and it was OK and the 3rd had the biggest budget and was pretty cool too. What was the name of that prison planet that roasted in the sun everyday Helium? That was a neat concept.

I like many of the older B movie sci fis that didn't have to try that hard to make us believe. Today they are mostly excuses to throw some characters into the special effects.

In watching the new Star Trek trailers why is everyone jumping off buildings and flying around so much?

What I hate to see is remakes that they throw millions of dollars at and the originals are so much better. Think "The day the Earth Stood Still"

Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,601 times
I was born in 1951, the year science fiction made its big comeback, so I've always felt a special bond for this genre. My list is going to be extremely long because I have that many favorites. The majority of these I have seen 100+ times and will continue watching them as often as I can.

Foes
Kronos
Predator
Stargate
Dark City
Moontrap
Pitch Black
X-Men trilogy
Lifepod (1981)
Alien tetralogy
Donovan's Brain
Phantasm series
Forbidden Planet
This Island Earth
Metropolis (1927)
Fantastic Voyage
Monolith Monsters
High Plains Invaders
When Worlds Collide
The Last Starfighter
Chronicles of Riddick
The Terminator & T2
V (original miniseries)
The Angry Red Planet
First Men in the Moon
20 Million Miles to Earth
Battle Beyond the Stars
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
The Man with Two Brains
The Colossus of New York
It Came from Outer Space
The Whisperer in Darkness
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Caltiki: The Immortal Monster
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The Thing from Another World
War of the Worlds (1953 & 2005)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Something Is Out There (miniseries)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Spider-Man 1-3 but NOT the "reboot"!
I Married a Monster from Outer Space
It (miniseries) ~ After all, It is an alien!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 & 1978)
The Asphyx ~ falls into that SF/horror category
Sherlock Holmes (2010) ~ I love this steampunk tale!
Five Million Years to Earth aka Quatermass and the Pit ~ I also like the other Quatermass movies.
Star Wars saga ~ ALL OF IT! I can't believe the bratty public pouting after George Lucas gives us these works! I was in my mid-20s when the phenomenon began, and I for one still appreciate all that he has done!
Star Trek saga with original cast ~ I don't mind a couple of the others that follow. However, I despise, detest, loathe and abhor Abrams' travesty! Shame on him! Where was the Roddenberry estate that this was allowed?!
Jurassic Park trilogy ~ Here's an instance in which the ridiculously fickle public turns its back on amazing filmmaking. There are flaws, but these are fantastic adventures with wonderful effects~CGI put to good use for a change.
John Carter ~ Too bad that so many people lack knowledge of Edgar Rice Burroughs or they would have known that he was one of those who led the way for other science fiction writers to come. Disney did a remarkable, commendable job! Unfortunately, they released this to a mostly uneducated public when it came to classic SF literature. I hope that it ultimately makes enough money for there to be a sequel. Meanwhile, millions are thrown away on the trash heap of "Transformers", a reboot of Spider-Man, and Abrams' slaughter of pretty much everything basic to "Star Trek".

I love giant monster movies, which generally involve radiation or The Bomb: Them!, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (which inspired Godzilla: King of the Monsters), The Deadly Mantis, Tarantula, It Came from Beneath the Sea, The Giant Behemoth, Deep Rising (perhaps more horror than sci fi), Godzilla (1998), and The Host (fantastic creature in one of the few modern-day creature features).

Ridley Scott might have mentioned "This Island Earth" in connection with "Alien", but the two bear no resemblance at all. However, two other movies had to have inspired "Alien": "It! The Terror From Beyond Space" and "Planet of the Vampires" aka "Demon Planet". The latter even has a gigantic, skeletal "space jockey" in a crashed ship on a fogbound alien planet to which ships are drawn by a distress signal. "It!" has an alien sneaking aboard a spaceship and killing off the crew, the basic plot of "Alien". Mario Bava's "Demon Planet" definitely is worth checking out! "It!" is extremely low-budget, so don't expect a lot except some entertainment.

I know I must be forgetting some favorites, but I'll stop there. Hey! I'm an old lady! I have scads of movies I love=}

EDIT: In "Planet of the Vampires", this part is when they've found the giant crashed ship and enter. You'll note the skeleton, which, moments before, topples when they touch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLM8YF7EaVE
The prior bit is on Part 5, of course.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 05-29-2013 at 12:45 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Have so many favorites from various decades, just a quick list:
Ray Harryhausen; Jason & the Argonauts, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Golden Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of the Titans
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978
The Time Machine, 1960
The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951
The Shining, 1980 (Kubrick)
The Stepford Wives, 1972
The War of The Worlds (both)
The Thing (both versions)
Hitckcocks The Birds and Psycho
Salems Lot (TV series 1979)
Let Me In (2010)
Alien

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Did I hear a rumour they're remaking Logan's Run or is that just wishful thinking? Hopefully they won't make a pig's ear of it.
That's one of those movies Hollywood has been trying to remake for 10 years or more, but it keeps falling apart. Bryan Singer was supposedly going to re-do it at one time.

The latest attempt has fallen apart as well:

'Logan's Run': Nicolas Winding Refn's remake on hold - Movies News - Digital Spy

Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
I'm going to have to go with a few old sci-fi movies I watched on TV as a kid (in no special order):

1. Invasion of The Body Snatchers (the original 1956 one)
2. Invaders From Mars (the original 1953 one)
3. The World, The Flesh and The Devil (1959)
4. Terminator 2
5. The Day The Earth Caught Fire (1961)

And I have to mention Mars Attacks! (1996) I never laughed so much in my life. It's hard to believe it wasn't made recently... "If we could just talk to them..."

Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
the last mimsy

Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM

368 posts, read 395,979 times
My favorite sci-fi's:

Escape from New York
Total Recall
Death Race 2000 (The original)
They Live
Robocop
The Terminator
Terminator 2

Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
They Live! Oh yeah, Roddy Piper FTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies