Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
You beat me to it, TurcoLoco...'The Changeling' came to mind as I was reading through this thread and I was going to suggest it, but then saw it at the end of your post. Creepy movie!

I found 'The Shining' to be quite creepy as well...Jack Nicholson is perfect in the role.

The Shining Trailer - YouTube

And this more recent movie....not set in a spooky house, but underground, in a cave...'The Descent'.

THE DESCENT Theatrical Trailer - YouTube

Very scary
I apologize bassetluv! Next time just PM so I don't cut you off!

As good as The Shinning was, the first half of the movie was uber boring to me. The Descent is a great thriller indeed and perhaps a bit under rated. I thought about mentioning that one too but then I said to myself "TurcoLoco you already beat her to it with The Changeling, now you wanna go for The Descent too? That'd be very rude!" So, I didn't.

The Descent was just scary kinda like Darkness Falls but a movie like Silent Hill, with its very freaky cinematography, was a much creepier movie:

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D - Official Trailer (HD) - YouTube

Another good jumper was 13 Ghosts which you hardly ever see anyone mention but it had some really good scary scenes:

Thirteen Ghosts Trailer - YouTube

I don't know why but nothing creeps me out more than seeing those old style baby dolls! I don't care how scary or haunted a house looks, I can go in, no problem.

But, I would be gone in a heart beat if I walked into a room and see a bunch of those old baby dolls.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Burnt Offerings is pretty creepy. The sense of isolation mounts as the film goes on - by the end....
Eh, decent, but it gets held back by the hammy Oliver Reed and that horrible, horrible kid actor in it, but it does have one genuinely creepy aspect:
Burnt Offerings - Creepy Dream Sequence - YouTube

That damn chauffeur!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I liked the original 13 ghosts and thought that was really creepy.
Many of the Hammer films have dark and creepy down pat that's for sure esp the Dracula movies.
I also liked "Dracula's Daughter".

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,716 times
I highly recommend Dracula (1979) with Frank Langella and Laurence Olivier. One of the most atmospheric films I've seen

Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
The others has a great atmosphere, very creepy look. Also, the women in black first and second has a great location setting, look and lighting. I believe it has it's stormy scenes also.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
Wind Chill (2007) - IMDb ~ I usually don't care for monochromatic films, but the bluish cast perfectly captures an overcast, snowy day. I FEEL cold when I watch this film. Kudos to them for keeping things visible during the night scenes! This is one of the best ghost films I've seen though another atmospheric film beats it.

WOW this was a good one; I still have questions about it, but think I've figured it out...definitely a mind-bender! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:44 PM

828 posts, read 907,865 times
Set aside the shocking, glaringly obvious scary parts in the Exorcist, and you'll still have an atmospheric gem. In fact, it's what really makes this movie a masterpiece. Well, that and the performances. The ice-cold room Regan and her possessor inhabited. The church scenes that didn't quite show you what was wrong, but you knew something was very wrong and very anti-God. The dark-but-still-daytime scenes, from the priest's mother's apartment to the outdoor scenes. The stomach-churning doctor scenes with poor Regan in the hospital. And let's not forget the scene with Max Von Sydow standing in front of the MacNeil house, in the fog. He knew what was in there, and he (and the director) telegraphed his dread, without facial expressions, practically. Just atmosphere, body language, and music.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:12 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

Spoiler
0:43 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGmTdo3vuY

Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
The original DRACULA with Bela Lugosi. Especially the first scene
in the castle.........

If a Dracula movie doesn't get the outdoor castle scenes right, it's over.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,223 times
The Woman In Black (1989)
The Others
A View from a Hill
The Changeling
The Haunting (1963)
Whistle and I'll Come To You
The Legend of Hell House
The Ash Tree
Number 13
The Wailing Well
The Signalman
The Other (1972)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
Turn of the Screw
The House by the Cemetery
The Yellow Wallpaper (1989)
A Christmas Carol
Susperia
The Shining
From Hell
Darkness (2002)
Something Evil (1972)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies