Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times

Advertisements

As a long time fan of his books and films, I'd like to hear what some of your favorites are. I just finished watching The Stand after not seeing it since it came out as a TV series in 1994. I found it to be timeless and well directed with an amazing cast.
With so many good ones to choose from I don't know where to start, so I'll start with The Stand and the rest of you take it away.

(being a horror fan it was hard to not start it with Creepshow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
As a long time fan of his books and films, I'd like to hear what some of your favorites are. I just finished watching The Stand after not seeing it since it came out as a TV series in 1994. I found it to be timeless and well directed with an amazing cast.
With so many good ones to choose from I don't know where to start, so I'll start with The Stand and the rest of you take it away.
I liked The Stand movie. It was ok. Some of the casting was spot on perfect (Gary Sinise, Ray Walston, Rob Lowe, Matt Frewer, and the guy who played Larry Underwood). On some I was pleasantly surprised (Molly Ringwald). But a few of the roles were really miscast (Miguel Ferrer and the guy who played Flagg come to mind). Flagg is supposed to be a charming maniac, part Lucifer and part Manson. But in the movie he seemed more like a Whitesnake roadie.

Quote:
(being a horror fan it was hard to not start it with Creepshow)
Creepshow is awesome. Loved it.

Probably my favorite would be Storm of the Century.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I love The Stand in book form but not a fan of many S. King movies.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I liked The Stand movie. It was ok. Some of the casting was spot on perfect (Gary Sinise, Ray Walston, Rob Lowe, Matt Frewer, and the guy who played Larry Underwood). On some I was pleasantly surprised (Molly Ringwald). But a few of the roles were really miscast (Miguel Ferrer and the guy who played Flagg come to mind). Flagg is supposed to be a charming maniac, part Lucifer and part Manson. But in the movie he seemed more like a Whitesnake roadie.

Creepshow is awesome. Loved it.

Probably my favorite would be Storm of the Century.
Ok, you had me rolling about the Whitesnake roadie!!!!! I had similar thoughts, the dude did not seem "evil" at all. The hair and jean jacket kinda killed it, I know. And yeah your right Miguel played some good roles in his heyday, but this was not one of them. Hell, I think Mig would have played a better devil than the Whitesnake guy actually.

Storm of the Century....love it. Born in Sin, come on in...born in lust, turn to dust.

In my top 5 for sure, maybe even in my top 3.

Sure books are better because when we read them we create our own vision, our own world, but you can't expect Hollywood to read your mind, only go off the story at hand. I like almost all King's films. It's a different take on it than what my mind created by reading the book.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
C'mon - we all know Maximum Overdrive was the greatest Stephen King movie!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 PM

363 posts, read 583,219 times
Love King's books but the movies? Not so much. I'd rather rely on my own imagination for the amount of blood, guts and gore displayed, not a director's vision.

"Cujo" was an excellent book and one of the few King books that made a good movie, IMO.

"The Stand", my all time favorite King book, had so much detail in it, I didn't think it made a very good movie.

"The Green Mile", another excellent book. The movie did a fairly good job of following the book but then again, so much more was in the book.

Given a choice between his books or moives, I'll take the books every time.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
And yeah your right Miguel played some good roles in his heyday, but this was not one of them. Hell, I think Mig would have played a better devil than the Whitesnake guy actually.
I like Miguel Ferrer a lot in the right role. He was just miscast as Lloyd. I've always pictured Lloyd as more like Sam Rockwell.

Quote:
Sure books are better because when we read them we create our own vision, our own world, but you can't expect Hollywood to read your mind, only go off the story at hand. I like almost all King's films. It's a different take on it than what my mind created by reading the book.
I can't think of any films based on King stories that I hate, but there are some that are just so-so. I wasn't all that impressed with Cujo. It wasn't terrible. Just kinda meh. And I've been disappointed in both versions of 'Salem's Lot. The old made-for-TV version of the 1970s was just too much like a made-for-TV version of the 1970s. And the newer version from a few years back completely misunderstood several of the major characters.

I actually liked both versions of The Shining. Kubrick's film was very different from the novel, but it's still a masterpiece. But I also really liked the made-for-TV version from a few years ago. It certainly lacked Kubrick's artistic flair, but it was a much more human story --- and much closer to the novel.

The Dead Zone is a great movie, too. And I also liked the TV show --- or at least the first few seasons. Although it departed from the novel a lot, it was a lot of fun. I think the show ran out of steam its last season or two, but it started out great.

I loved the novels Bag of Bones and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, but I think both stories are unfilmable. Too much of the tension is psychological.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
C'mon - we all know Maximum Overdrive was the greatest Stephen King movie!
So much THIS!

Not to mention, the only true "Stephen King" movie. Being that it is the only one he wrote and directed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jvqPvDUEW8

Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
So much THIS!

Not to mention, the only true "Stephen King" movie. Being that it is the only one he wrote and directed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jvqPvDUEW8
True, this was the movie Stephen had complete control over - I remember the ads when he said "I'm gonna scare the HELL OUT OF YOU!!!".

Then, after the movie bombs, he tried the I was making an "Intentionally Bad/Moron Movie" excuse. Yea, right Steve!

Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM

563 posts, read 1,498,907 times
I love the movie Green Mile, as well as Shawshank Redemption. I've seen Rose Red.
I'm not much for scary, and have never actually read any of his books. My mom loves him and my husband has some of his books.

Oh, and I live about 15 minutes from Steven King. =p lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies