Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 298,296 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am new to the forum here but have a couple questions that if answered would put my mind at ease!

I am currently in the underwriting stage with my lender as I am purchasing a home through a USDA Rural Development Loan. I have already been approved upfront, signed a purchase agreement, has the appraisal and home inspection peformed. Last week one of the loan advisors from the local branch I was going through had me bring in bank statements, explanations for all large deposits and other random documents. I had great explanations with full receipts for everything and she said it looked great. She said at this point it goes to their underwriters which generally takes around 72 hours and then it will go to the USDA underwriters which is averaging 30 days at the moment. My main concern is that I may go clinically insane within those 30 days as I am nervous that they may deny me during underwriting. Everything that the lender told me however says that I am great. I am under my approval amount, I have a decent score (735 average) and a income that is still below their ratio requirements.

What is the chance/statistics on denial's during underwriting? I feel that they may get concerned as I am a first time home buyer and younger at that. I have a secure job with a very reputable company as well.

Perhaps I am just nervous but what are things is the likely hood of denial this far into the process?

Any and all comments are appreciated! Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
USDA is not taking 30 days right now. They got a purchase reviewed for me in two business days last week. Is your loan being brokered out? Do you have a sub-640 fico? Those might result in a longer than 30-total-days turn time. But USDA is not taking very long at all right now.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
USDA is not taking 30 days right now. They got a purchase reviewed for me in two business days last week. Is your loan being brokered out? Do you have a sub-640 fico? Those might result in a longer than 30-total-days turn time. But USDA is not taking very long at all right now.
My FICO is 735 and I am going through PrimeLending

Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 PM

Great score, great company - - are you sure your LO meant that they expect USDA's review alone to take a month?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Great score, great company - - are you sure your LO meant that they expect USDA's review alone to take a month?
Thank you! I am very sure about the month review. They said they get an email every so often giving them current turnaround times on underwriting and the USDA is averaging 30 days.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM

I also just noticed that the number of people living in the home must exceed the number of full time students in the home. I remember talking to my lender and I had mentioned that I was a student, I don't know if I was marked as full-time or not. Would this be a problem or is this pertaining to families with children?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 PM

Tell your lender (the truth) that you are not full time.

Regarding USDA turn times, i just asked them and got this:

The standard answer right now is 7-10 business days. It really depends on the volume but count on those numbers as a worse case.

(name REDACTED)
Area Technician
Rural Development

Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Hey guys, I am now in the underwriting stage with USDA and after speaking with the Michigan office I have about twenty days left before the certificate is passed through.

My question here is that my bank statements that I gave to the lender had $10,000 in a savings account. I would like to give $6,000 to the bank to pay off my car. Would this create an problems in underwriting or do they only go off the statements and verifications the lender made?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazards280 View Post
Hey guys, I am now in the underwriting stage with USDA and after speaking with the Michigan office I have about twenty days left before the certificate is passed through.

My question here is that my bank statements that I gave to the lender had $10,000 in a savings account. I would like to give $6,000 to the bank to pay off my car. Would this create an problems in underwriting or do they only go off the statements and verifications the lender made?
Hold off until after you close. Don't have the full picture, but that savings account might constitute Reserves, and could be a compensating factor helping to reduce the risk on your file.

Just wait until the day after you close, then do what you want with your cash.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 61,304 times
I'm so stress out with this USDA loan approval and waiting to get approval. I'm living with my brother house and the place is so small , can't eat and sleep for the past weeks just waiting for to go close soon. We're schedule on the 8/8/13 now my loan officer just call us that it might be the week after. Why are they taking so long???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages