Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 12:45 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times

Advertisements

They're like 75 miles apart, and I'm not the first person who's made that same observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 05:09 PM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'd cross WV off your list immediately if you're hoping for a similar QOL as you have in SW Idaho. WV has got some serious issues with opioids/meth, and while parts of it are scenic, they're not really comparable to what you can find in the Sawtooths, etc.
I would argue that the quality of life is much greater in urban/suburban WV than most Idaho equivalencies. Idaho is one state in which WV has much better infrastructure and connectivity. Sure, Boise probably has great infrastructure, but the entire region as a whole is very lackluster, and the housing prices are unreasonable.

Despite the aforementioned "opioid/meth issue" that apparently impacts WV's quality of life so severely, Charleston & Morgantown both have GDP per capita's that are 30% higher than Boise or any metro in SW Idaho for that matter (BLS), Monongalia and Putnam County schools are also rated much higher in terms of Academics, College Prep, and instruction (Niche). In addition, Ruby Memorial Hospital and the Charleston Area Medical Center (to some regard) are far more distinguished than any hospital in the state of Idaho (USNews), with Morgantown's Ruby icing the cake as a national leader.

Personally, I think those are the things that really impact quality of life.

Old 01-14-2024, 11:35 PM

240 posts, read 236,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I would argue that the quality of life is much greater in urban/suburban WV than most Idaho equivalencies. Idaho is one state in which WV has much better infrastructure and connectivity. Sure, Boise probably has great infrastructure, but the entire region as a whole is very lackluster, and the housing prices are unreasonable.

Despite the aforementioned "opioid/meth issue" that apparently impacts WV's quality of life so severely, Charleston & Morgantown both have GDP per capita's that are 30% higher than Boise or any metro in SW Idaho for that matter (BLS), Monongalia and Putnam County schools are also rated much higher in terms of Academics, College Prep, and instruction (Niche). In addition, Ruby Memorial Hospital and the Charleston Area Medical Center (to some regard) are far more distinguished than any hospital in the state of Idaho (USNews), with Morgantown's Ruby icing the cake as a national leader.

Personally, I think those are the things that really impact quality of life.
Thank you for your perspective!

Old 01-21-2024, 02:39 PM

439 posts, read 958,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
[/b]
I’ve lived in WV my entire life and enjoy camping and hiking. I don’t hunt, but several of my friends and family members do. I’ve never once heard of this happening while someone is out enjoying nature in WV. You face a bigger threat from snakes and other wildlife in our woods than you do people.
If you don't mind disclosing which region, town in West Virginia you call home? We are looking to bail from Arizona. We too considered Idaho however are priced out as well as concerns becoming a mini California.

I had looked at Arkansas and South Dakota however life threatening weather, over priced housing is a big no.

So for the short time we have left on this planet...boomers, would like a peaceful, quaint little homestead with some plantable land, decent medical, shopping, dining and similar thinking folks. Some winter weather is great, have lived in Virignia several times.

Cheers..

Old 01-22-2024, 05:12 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
If you don't mind disclosing which region, town in West Virginia you call home? We are looking to bail from Arizona. We too considered Idaho however are priced out as well as concerns becoming a mini California.

I had looked at Arkansas and South Dakota however life threatening weather, over priced housing is a big no.

So for the short time we have left on this planet...boomers, would like a peaceful, quaint little homestead with some plantable land, decent medical, shopping, dining and similar thinking folks. Some winter weather is great, have lived in Virignia several times.

Cheers..
I live in Berkeley County, eastern panhandle region. It’s a rapidly growing area, too rapid for some (+10K new residents in Berkeley County alone since Covid). But, I’ve previously lived in Beckley and have spent a lot of time in Charleston and Morgantown for work.

You won’t have a problem finding most the things I’ve highlighted near the larger areas like the ones I’ve mentioned, down the I-79 corridor (Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Bridgeport). The best medical care is in Morgantown, Charleston, the eastern panhandle and Huntington.

Speaking of which, Huntington is probably the next up-and-coming region with a lot of investment and growth, thanks in part to Marshall University’s growth. Wheeling is also on the brink of a comeback, but medical care is still an issue in that region (although you would be an hour from Pittsburgh for speciality/intensive care).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown