Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2023, 04:11 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times

Advertisements

Are Morgantown and surrounding areas a good place for hunters and anglers to reside in terms of general opportunity and access? Are the surrounding rural areas relatively safe? I've read some alarming things about violent crime in certain parts of the state but by reputation there seems to be less of that up around Morgantown and the PA border through to the Eastern Panhandle, is that accurate? Is there any reasonable need to fear for safety when out camping, fishing, etc?

Also, for those in the know, how are the black bear and turkey hunting?

Finally, what is the insect situation like in the "warm" season? Are mosquitos oppressive?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 07:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Just driving up and down I-79 there is a sportsman's warehouse and a bass pro shop within like 5 miles of each other. I would say that's a pretty good indicator that there's a lot of out door activities in the region.

From what I've researched the problems you reference typically afflict the "southern coal field" areas where there are economic depression and drug problems.

I think the Morgantown i-79 corridor are totally safe and fine. I bet once you get off the beaten path a little it's probably very quiet and peaceful. In fact I'm posting in this thread because I really like the area and it's on my list of potential destinations to relocate to.

I think the southern part of WV is beautiful but from what I've learned it has a bit of a reputation which is unfortunate because there seems to be some really good people there and beautiful country but the area has some problems which are not easy to fix.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:01 AM

63 posts, read 63,693 times
This area is a Hunter’s and anglers paradise!

Old 11-09-2023, 06:35 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Thank you for your input. I am trying to decide between the Morgantown, WV area and the Johnson City, TN area for my next move. Renting, so nothing permanent yet, but when I do buy a home I'd like my money to go farther than I might get out West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
View detailed profiles of: