Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2022, 03:43 PM

189 posts, read 205,010 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we need some advice. I am a African American female (NJ native) currently married to a Caucasian male (Wisconsin native) Our age group is 39-45 We don't have any children and currently live in Pennsylvania. We both have been eye balling different states for quite a while and looking to relocate around next year lord willing. I was born and raised a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, weekend getaways, shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my husband, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy(gamer) who mostly stays to himself. We both enjoy some good food and occasional drinks, jazz clubs, bowling, camping etc. We are open to renting at first and see how it goes. Are their any suggestions for some suburban to rural areas that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse, and STRONG internet and affordable healthcare services? So any constructive feedback is appreciated thanks for your time.

As far as employment goes I am a CDL A license holder, customer service background, medical insurance background. Husband is IT background and manufacturing and yes we are currently employed. Was wondering if morgantown is a good place of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 06:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Hello all, we need some advice. I am a African American female (NJ native) currently married to a Caucasian male (Wisconsin native) Our age group is 39-45 We don't have any children and currently live in Pennsylvania. We both have been eye balling different states for quite a while and looking to relocate around next year lord willing. I was born and raised a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, weekend getaways, shopping, basic fun things etc. As far as my husband, he's more of a homebody nerdy type guy(gamer) who mostly stays to himself. We both enjoy some good food and occasional drinks, jazz clubs, bowling, camping etc. We are open to renting at first and see how it goes. Are their any suggestions for some suburban to rural areas that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse, and STRONG internet and affordable healthcare services? So any constructive feedback is appreciated thanks for your time.

As far as employment goes I am a CDL A license holder, customer service background, medical insurance background. Husband is IT background and manufacturing and yes we are currently employed. Was wondering if morgantown is a good place of interest.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I don't live in WV I've only visited and passed through.

100% my first thought is the Morgantown to like Clarksburg corridor on I 79 or Charleston area.

I think you would be totally fine. I don't think race or ethnicity are that big of an issue at all. I've never once gotten a racist vibe in my time in WV.

I've tried to learn WVs history and it's interesting. It has a lot of southern tendencies but at the same time it broke away from VA for the civil war to side with the union. There's a lot to unpack and digest. I may be Nieve or ignorant but the biggest attitude I picked up while visiting is more or less most people are distrustful of big government and just want to be left alone. It seems like if you're good people they will accept you and not care if you're red blue purple yellow peach or tan or any variation of.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Take my advice with a grain of salt as I don't live in WV I've only visited and passed through.

100% my first thought is the Morgantown to like Clarksburg corridor on I 79 or Charleston area.

I think you would be totally fine. I don't think race or ethnicity are that big of an issue at all. I've never once gotten a racist vibe in my time in WV.

I've tried to learn WVs history and it's interesting. It has a lot of southern tendencies but at the same time it broke away from VA for the civil war to side with the union. There's a lot to unpack and digest. I may be Nieve or ignorant but the biggest attitude I picked up while visiting is more or less most people are distrustful of big government and just want to be left alone. It seems like if you're good people they will accept you and not care if you're red blue purple yellow peach or tan or any variation of.

thanks for the feedback we went to WV to smoke hole resorts on our 1st anniversary last year and i've driven through there alot and we really like it so I was reaching out to see people that are actually there hows the economy of course with research on our end as well.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I'm fairly new here but my first thought while reading your post was to search out jazz clubs. I'm curious how many you'll find, seriously. When you locate any you may want to research those locations.

I kept thinking Charleston over and over until I read "low crime". Statistics are not good in that respect.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:26 PM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm fairly new here but my first thought while reading your post was to search out jazz clubs. I'm curious how many you'll find, seriously. When you locate any you may want to research those locations.

I kept thinking Charleston over and over until I read "low crime". Statistics are not good in that respect.
I live near Charleston. Crime never enters the thought process when deciding to go to an event.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Yes im sure there isnt any jazz clubs there this is just one of things we enjoy alot of.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

Hello I was just reading the wikipedia on WV and you are right its very interesting. I am absorbing this slowly all I can say is wow. I see the job market isnt too good there however i choose morgantown because its close to state borders maybe working in pa or ohio could be a option, but thanks for that info again wow lol. I did research and saw that is the LEAST diverse state in the country kinda on my downfall.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:56 PM

926 posts, read 827,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Hello I was just reading the wikipedia on WV and you are right its very interesting. I am absorbing this slowly all I can say is wow. I see the job market isnt too good there however i choose morgantown because its close to state borders maybe working in pa or ohio could be a option, but thanks for that info again wow lol. I did research and saw that is the LEAST diverse state in the country kinda on my downfall.
I can assure you in the case of Morgantown, Morgantown & Clarksburg/Bridgeport will have a better economy than anything bordering it in PA, Ohio, and MD by a veryyyyyy long shot for several hours. A significantly higher percentage commutes from out of state into Morgantown than Vice versa (surrounding states have significantly cheaper housing costs than Morgantown). The economy is very good in this region of WV and completely nosedives once you cross into PA (and MD for that matter) until you reach Pittsburgh, which is pretty meh.

I’m not exactly sure what a Jazz Club is, so I can’t answer that.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I live near Charleston. Crime never enters the thought process when deciding to go to an event.
The only reason I researched it previously is the possibility of a short term rental there during snow season as I will be 12 on/12 off with an hour commute (slightly less but with the S word..)
Per Capita is what drives the statistics up, imo. I walked into a wide open fire station yesterday. In Memphis they'd be in continual lockdown. I've worked in Charleston for several months. I love the Capital Market. It has a somewhat sophisticated, if down-to-earth feel about it.

Now tell me about the jazz scene.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:11 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
Husband is IT background and manufacturing and yes we are currently employed. Was wondering if morgantown is a good place of interest.

You may want to look into the Ascend program. https://ascendwv.com/

[url="https://wvmetronews.com/2022/11/29/greater-elkins-area-named-as-the-next-ascend-wv-community/[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown