Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 AM

91 posts, read 135,272 times

Advertisements

Currently I am a Anytime Fitness member. I see that there is only 1 Anytime Fitness in the Morgantown Area (Charleston has 2), and I'm curious as to what other Gyms are available in the immediate area. I think there is a Planet Fitness out by cheat lake, but is that the only other Gym in the area?

Also, looking for good places to walk/run/bike where there aren't a whole terrible lot of hills. And the more popular spots to play basketball.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 05:11 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
Currently I am a Anytime Fitness member. I see that there is only 1 Anytime Fitness in the Morgantown Area (Charleston has 2), and I'm curious as to what other Gyms are available in the immediate area. I think there is a Planet Fitness out by cheat lake, but is that the only other Gym in the area?

Also, looking for good places to walk/run/bike where there aren't a whole terrible lot of hills. And the more popular spots to play basketball.

thoughts?
As for where to run/walk/bike that there aren’t hills, the rail trail would be your best bet. It is flat, paved through town and gravel once you are out of town and has many spots all over town where you can park to access it.

Regarding the gym, plannet fitness is near the pierpont exit off of I-68, pretty much out of the way for everyone not living out by Cheat Lake, id imagine this will change in the next couple years but that’s a topic for another thread. You are correct about anytime fitness, there is only one location and they are relatively new to the area (have been open for maybe a year and a half), they are located across from the hospital in the new WVU apartment complex (easy to get to though) where the Smoothie King and IHOP are. The gym I go to is kind of like anytime fitness and it is called Pro Performance, they have 4 locations in town, one in Suncrest town center, one on University avenue downtown in the other new WVU housing complex (would have to use a parking garage for this one), one by the pierpont exit and one at Mylan Park (this one has an entire indoor field). Your monthly dues gets you access to all four locations and I know at least 2 (Suncrest and University avenue) are 24/7. Each location offers something a little different. There are also a bunch of other gyms like Viking Performance Training (run by the former football strength coach I believe), a couple CrossFit gyms, and a rehab place called Healthworks that sells gym memberships (they have a full fledged gym, basketball courts, a small track, a free weight room, and a very limited pool). If you or someone in your household ends up working for WVU you could also pay for a family membership to the rec center, which would give you access to rock climbing, a bunch of basketball courts (with a good amount of pick up games), pools, a good size track, etc...

As far as best areas to play basketball, I’m honestly not sure, I know of a couple people who play in leagues/play a bunch of games but I’m not sure where. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
The Anytime Fitness in Morgantown is almost brand new, and it is located near 705 making it readily accessible in the Evansdale/Medical Campus area. I would definitely suggest checking it out before you decide where to affiliate, but our city has a population that is relatively young when compared with other cities, so fitness facilities are pretty much readily available anywhere although in the downtown area itself and Wharf District, that is not so much the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown