Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:20 AM

193 posts, read 282,124 times

Advertisements

This thread has the potential to explode with all of the eyesores around Morgantown. And I wonder if CT_Mountaineer = Tom Bloom. Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,232,417 times
I'd take a bulldozer to a little over a quarter of the town and then have the fire department do a controlled burn of another quarter of the town. Then we can rebuild roads and areas and actually plan this town correctly for the growth that is occurring and for future growth. Plus the bright side of that is almost all of the blight would be gone.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 AM

632 posts, read 834,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I'd take a bulldozer to a little over a quarter of the town and then have the fire department do a controlled burn of another quarter of the town. Then we can rebuild roads and areas and actually plan this town correctly for the growth that is occurring and for future growth. Plus the bright side of that is almost all of the blight would be gone.
I love this plan

Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,059,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
This thread has the potential to explode with all of the eyesores around Morgantown. And I wonder if CT_Mountaineer = Tom Bloom. Haha
So you want to make this personal about me? Really? I didn't think that was allowed here but I guess you never know.

Whatever eyesores we have here are more than matched elsewhere, and no city in our state can come close to matching the development, improvements, and signs of prosperity we have here. Only the Eastern Panhandle rivals Morgantown for growth, so I guess you can carp all you want but facts are facts.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
That is probably appropriate. I agree with that, but the amazing thing is other cities (with the probable exception of Wheeling) are in even worse condition and we don't see them on here talking about their obvious negatives. Why would they want to pick on Morgantown? We could do a similar thread for anyplace.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:10 PM

354 posts, read 506,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
So you want to make this personal about me? Really? I didn't think that was allowed here but I guess you never know.

Whatever eyesores we have here are more than matched elsewhere, and no city in our state can come close to matching the development, improvements, and signs of prosperity we have here. Only the Eastern Panhandle rivals Morgantown for growth, so I guess you can carp all you want but facts are facts.
That's precisely the point. Those places have no money, no jobs, no people, and backwards thinking. You get what you would expect.

For all the praise you give Morgantown for the wealth, jobs, and progressiveness you would think Beechurst, the main thoroughfare in town, wouldn't look like it was dropped in from Matewan.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
That's precisely the point. Those places have no money, no jobs, no people, and backwards thinking. You get what you would expect.

For all the praise you give Morgantown for the wealth, jobs, and progressiveness you would think Beechurst, the main thoroughfare in town, wouldn't look like it was dropped in from Matewan.
I don't disagree, but Beechurst looks a whole lot better today than it did just 2 years ago. Improvements are happening, and development is taking place there. One thing in the works is they will be tearing down the old Senaca offices except for the historic part where the glass kiln is located for some new moderate income housing, and WVU will be tearing down the old Field House and putting in a new state of the art business school with the help of a $10 million donation they just received. It's only a matter of time before Beechurst is rid of the remaining sub standard buildings.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM

193 posts, read 282,124 times
I think one of the things that make a city, whether it's Morgantown or any other old city, look trashy is the overhead electrical lines, cable lines, phone lines that are heavily strung along roadways like Beechurst or the Mileground. I wish they were able to bury them all when they do the road widening projects.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 PM

891 posts, read 1,056,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
I think one of the things that make a city, whether it's Morgantown or any other old city, look trashy is the overhead electrical lines, cable lines, phone lines that are heavily strung along roadways like Beechurst or the Mileground. I wish they were able to bury them all when they do the road widening projects.

Definitely This!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:13 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,512,303 times
I agree with most of what was stated. Particularly Vic's (that's in a commercial area - can't believe it's not sold?) and Brockway Ave. Not only is the road a disaster that I avoid, but the houses are so rundown. There is no excuse for this as these are mostly rentals. Please, these homes are not owned by low income residents. How much can paint and new siding cost?

That said, I DO like older homes and buildings and hate generic construction just for the sake of it being "new". Some of my favorite places that I like to visit and wouldn't mind living would be Charleston, SC and New Orleans. Speaking of - Happy Mardi Gras! No shortage of "old" but well maintained structures there. Glad there are a few areas like South Park where old homes are being rehabbed and maintained.

Last edited by motownnative; 02-25-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown