Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 PM

193 posts, read 281,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hey all, actually lived as recent as 2000 in Morg & so shopped Aldi's down by the river. I liked it, fell over wood pallets, getting produce deals. Yet so no stranger there @ Aldi & yep now, w/ TJ's an hr+ up to Pitt do-able every other wk but best stock up heavy when there, lol.

Is Food Lion in Sabraton yet? Here in AZ we got Fry's (owned by parent Kroger, so many Kroger goods can be had). I miss Kroger tho -- not a knockoff bought-out chain & just carrying their goods. I know there's more than 2 Krogs I think now in modern era ,yes? But just one LION & another Aldi's is a comin. Fill me in all on what else. Mtn Peeps Co-op is cool & funky artsy -- & has good barrel tofu (at least in 2000 did, hehee). I'm gettin real old. But no cane needed yet tho

I miss Bi-Lo on University most all as it was dingy, dirty yet good wheelin n dealins & got great markdown produce bags, peanuts, broken soda paks, etc,. Then on way home to Herman Ave we gassed up across street at Marathon, I think, or down into Star City at Dairy Mart gas --cheap & kept my '91 Chev Cav running to tool round Morg & to class at WVU. Man I miss those days...

My too nostalgic for most here? Even was a pt. of Dr Stepehen Toth on Univ. ave , due to lifting weights & back injury & did Cox-Flexion/Distraction technique to straighten me to keep on training n lifting. Them were the days my friends...
Toth is the biggest quack I've ever seen as far as chiropractors are concerned. What a total and utter hack. I've been today least a dozen chiropractors in my day and no one comes close to rivaling him in terms of antiquated techniques, disgustingly dirty shop, and second hand equipment that he picked up at a swap meet. I went there once and sat in a lawn chair in the waiting room and watched a static filled tube TV until he called me back. Then proceeded to preach to me and totally creep me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
Toth is the biggest quack I've ever seen as far as chiropractors are concerned. What a total and utter hack. I've been today least a dozen chiropractors in my day and no one comes close to rivaling him in terms of antiquated techniques, disgustingly dirty shop, and second hand equipment that he picked up at a swap meet. I went there once and sat in a lawn chair in the waiting room and watched a static filled tube TV until he called me back. Then proceeded to preach to me and totally creep me out.
Haha, well in '94-95 things were diff. I was hardcore into training & to me, anyone who could crack my back, relieve pain from disc & get me spasm free won my acclaim. I can go on but suffice saying it worked for me, so I'm ok w/ it. Sorry you had a bad experience tho.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:23 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I miss Bi-Lo on University most all as it was dingy, dirty yet good wheelin n dealins & got great markdown produce bags, peanuts, broken soda paks, etc,.
I can't believe we missed both the Bi-Lo and the Food Lion eras in Morgantown. We liked both of those chains from our time living in other areas. I've honestly considered driving down to Fairmont to go to the Food Lion still in business there. Yes, Food Lion is nothing grand but they recently merged with Ahold so maybe the company will bring a newer, nicer store to Morgantown at some point. But we mostly end up at the Sabraton Kroger. Since moving here the grocery store selection has been one of our complaints about the area. If Kroger and Walmart are the big grocers in town, it's just discouraging to us because they're also the two largest supermarkets in America and I usually like to support smaller, local grocers rather than the big corporations.

So many interesting facts in the thread though. I had always assumed the Westover Shop n Save closed down as a result of UTC and the Walmart. From the outside it's such a nicer building that the 'newer' Shop N Save in Cheat Lake which gives a nice prison yard feel with the plain cinderblock exterior with bright flood lights. I'd imagine, if it were still in business, it would serve an entirely different population of customers than their current store. I also really tried to like Giant Eagle as a regional chain but I couldn't help but feel gouged and unable to find so many brands and even products at times. It's even a chore to walk through the store to find a roasted chicken between the UTC traffic and the placement in the back by the deli. Anyhoo, it is what it is and we'll make the best of it. We really would like to see a Whole Foods or even another basic chain come to town to compete with Kroger though.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times
The new Aldi grocery store being built behind the Golden Corral and CVS in Star City is coming along nicely. It looks like they have all of the steel up and it also looks like this store will be considerably larger than their other store in town. No opening date has been given (that I have seen).

Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Aldi has been active enlarging its existing stores in the United States. It could be responding to limited assortment/discount grocery rival Lidl.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:50 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Aldi has been active enlarging its existing stores in the United States. It could be responding to limited assortment/discount grocery rival Lidl.
I have heard that Lidl is having trouble adjusting to American consumers, who have shopping habits that are very different than those in Europe. They need to hire some upper management Americans to help them understand our market.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
I love this thread. Ha, I shopped Aldi on University in '99 & got my boxes after checkout, & my .25 cents from the carts & fell over a few pallets & skids of produce, etc. But... they had great deals & prices, tho a limited selection then, but now as Aldi's evolved w/ time, I bet it is alot better.

Here in AZ we had (past tense as they're all gone now) Save-A-Lot stores, & yet all closed here. No real "good deal" stores other than 99 cents store or Fam Dollar, Dollar Gen, etc. We need Aldi here. I do tho, have Trader Joe's (4 of them) so they make up the diff. Ok, just keeping this thread going.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 PM

It looks as if they are only a couple weeks away from opening the Aldi (supposedly by end of December). I drove by and looked in the windows and the store looks really nice (and very large!) and looks a lot more upscale compared to the other one in town.

Movintime, we will trade you our smaller Aldi for one of your Trader Joe's :P

Old 12-12-2017, 06:16 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
You are very correct CT. They opened their US headquarters right here in Arlington but I am not sure who they have in charge. They had plans for at least a dozen or more stores here in the DC area but have only managed to open a few- they've either delayed or scrapped many others. Should be interesting to see what the future holds but I think someone misunderstood the US market dynamics.

I also see no reason why Morgantown (or Charleston for that matter) could not support a Trader Joes. It would certainly help me out- Every time I come to West Virginia I have to make a run and stock up on a million different things that family members want from TJs.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Aldi opens tomorrow (December 14th). "Welcome to the new ALDI Star City, WV location, please join us for the Grand Opening on Thursday, December 14, 2017."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown