Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:24 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
As you hinted, when has the state of WV ever planned ahead? It's the same reason jobless folks in this state expect their politicians to bring back coal... failure to create a reasonable expectation of what the future is gonna bring.
Spot on. Its also why the state is bumbling through, squandering and can't seem to make a plan in regards to natural gas, while all of the states around us have a plan for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:14 PM

191 posts, read 306,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I see what you are saying, but there is no interstate access currently on the Kingwood Pike and it is on a very narrow treacherous country road with no access to natural gas or sewage. There is plenty of empty acreage around the NEW interstate exits on the western end of the county. Some for sale. That would be more sensible for a development of this size (175 acres). You may say a "short drive" but in this town it can take 45 minutes to go 6 miles!

This is why this town is so screwed up and has the traffic issues it has. You build the homes NEAR the large workplaces, (Except here), and it just keeps going! What is not being considered is that there are no workplaces on that side of town and 1K+ people are going to be added to the roads at peak hours trying to get to the other side! It's just madness....

Before long, someone is going so say we need more roads built. No....it's just that everything is built "haphazardly" with no consideration for existing infrastructure and this is a perfect example. Then people are screaming because of the ensuing traffic issues. In turn, "MY" tax dollars are expected to be used to fix the traffic problem? One that didn't exist before Dan Ryan Builders enriched themselves (ultimately at all of our expenses) and who has 40 homes right now as of this posting that they can't sell?

Is it making sense to anyone why there isn't any money left to even patch a pothole here? I have seen this scenario for years....

Bear with me here, but everyone talks about "smart development" but we rarely see it in this area. This property would be more suited for the WVU Farm to expand if not relocate to rather than just another housing development being built here. The WVU farm property is in a PRIME area which may have been fine 40 years ago but is so close to both hospitals it would make more sense to make that space commercial or residential for that side of the town's population.

The WVU farm, though large land wise, doesn't employ a large amount of people and could easily relocate a few miles outside of town. This would also help traditionally rural parts of the county to maintain their character while lessening the commute of people trying to get to the growing medical centers, etc.

AMEN. I absolutely agree. The benefits to WVU Farms and to the area where it currently exists are obvious. The farm needs room to spread its wings so to say and it seems suffocated on a plot of land that could instead be used for other building or for improving infrastructure

Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 PM

191 posts, read 306,176 times
On the topic of annexation, my thoughts. The amount of unincorporated areas or small towns that exist that are not part of the city of Morgantown at this point are ridiculous. Someone mentioned Star City. Its a joke that its a standalone town. Although it would be nice on the financial end to bring in Westover and Granville, i dont see that happening but agree that they should merge. Cheat Lake, i wouldnt be surprised to eventually see become its own city if it continues to expand outward like it has been. Annexing it would be great but also headaches with a number of country crap roads that would become out responsibility. Brookhaven, bring em in as well. Osage would likely become part of Granville/Westover as well

Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
AMEN. I absolutely agree. The benefits to WVU Farms and to the area where it currently exists are obvious. The farm needs room to spread its wings so to say and it seems suffocated on a plot of land that could instead be used for other building or for improving infrastructure
Really glad you can see the potential benefit. Also, WVU has an existing farm in Reedsville and this is on the same road to get there. This proposed development location is approximately 4 miles from the Preston County border and about 12-14 from the WVU Reedsville Farm. WVU Extension Service | WVU Reedsville Farm

This could put both farms not far from each other. I really feel this is not a great location for a housing development of this size for all the reasons stated; lack of utilities, no natural gas, bad road, etc. The property price has been largely reduced and has had an MLS listing for 700+ days. If it had such great potential for development someone would have bought it long ago. Dan Ryan just has a reputation unfortunately for putting homes where no one else will.

It's too bad we don't consolidate some of these municipalities as has been stated; then a bigger picture and proper land use could be utilized. I guess I am dreaming as they can barely communicate on issues as is. It's really mind boggling that something of this size doesn't go through an approval process here from a governing body.

I even worry due to the fact these potential homes may need to be all electric and what substation would power them. I am not that close to there but within a few miles and we may share the same substation. Power going out even due to the smallest storms is a regular occurrence here. The substation is ancient and can barely support what it has now.

Last edited by motownnative; 08-01-2016 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-01-2016, 07:35 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Morgantown and Monongalia County both have to make development be responsible and put in the proper infrastructure or not be allowed to build period. they could ensure Morgantown's future by doing this. without it it is going to be more of a jumbled mess than what it is now. I worry even on 68 and 79 that with more jobs I here nothing about 79 or 68 being expanded. when the new fed ex and the 500 employee headquarters opens 79 traffic is going to be horrible. all new housing developments of any size need 4 lane roads to and from and even smaller ones like the ones mentioned needs better access available. there needs to be at least 3 more 4 lane accesses to downtown and another option by the football and basketball stadiums done now before there is further development. the 2 developments downtown were a no brainer. these have to chance in the process that allows people to hold up developments for their self gain and approving developments without proper planing. I'm not sure why its so hard in West Virginia. other areas seem to not have problems with either of these situations.
Excellent points! Every single one. You also stated the cold hard truth much more succinctly that I could.

I see you are from Elkins and appreciate your perspective. I am from here but moved twice - both times to metropolitan areas - and you are right; it is a "jumbled mess" now and could get much worse. As an example, this proposed housing development is on a road where the part that would service it is literally falling in and is supported by a retaining wall. The DOH comes out about every 7-10 years and shores it up (its due again). Just today part of Grafton Road (another main road on this side of town) that looks much like this slipped, causing not only a traffic nightmare but complete water loss to 1K+ people. (see photo here) TheDPost.com - Portion of Grafton Road slips

Infrastructure, drainage, etc., all have to be addressed with these developments. Traffic patterns too. This isn't just a "NIMBY" argument on my part as I realize this is on my side of town and could add to my commute so people may think that. However, I work in downtown Morgantown and have no issue with the 2 student developments (neither do my coworkers) as those would have the end result of offering housing for students that wouldn't require a car. I spend more waking hours at work than I do at home at times so it certainly effects "me" but I see a greater good for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown