Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmoosewv View Post
i drive the city bus and go through the mountainlair all the time. something needs to be done. either build a tunnel for the students to walk under the road or build one for the traffic and let them walk over. i have seen so many near misses and impatient drivers come close to gassing it and killing someone. i get paid by the hr so ill sit and wait for as long as it takes but i have people who rely on the bus to get to work and the wait isnt fair to them. ive been told that they may stop traffic going through all together. that would be sad to take the buses away from the students and make them walk to catch it. anything would be better than whats going on now.
I'm going back a long time here, but I believe at one time there was a traffic light on Grumbein's Island along with a pedestrian crosswalk. Things seemed to flow smoother then. Of course there were far fewer students in the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:21 AM

632 posts, read 831,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm going back a long time here, but I believe at one time there was a traffic light on Grumbein's Island along with a pedestrian crosswalk. Things seemed to flow smoother then. Of course there were far fewer students in the 1960s.
There was a study done a few years ago and gave a few recommendations on how to fix that area. Can't find it at the moment though

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 AM

22 posts, read 29,308 times
Default Here is a study from Alpha Associates in 2011

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/613794...d3cbf22d8e.pdf

Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Would be interesting if they leveled the whole area and built a big parking garage with store fronts on the bottom like they did just on the other side of the campus. Also the university as of a year or two ago, owns that tiny parking lot right next to Bents. I have to imagine the university has big plans for all that land there, especially since Evansdale construction is coming to an end here in the next year or so. I hope they start on the falling run road and univ avenue project very soon.
They still have the former nursing home that was a temporary dorm and the two apartment buildings next to the Brown Lot to develop. I haven't heard anything about plans for there since it seems the Alumni Assn. isn't putting a hotel on that spot. There is so much political interference with anything that happens in our state. My guess is big money folks squawked trying to avoid competition, and put money into the right pockets to get the brakes applied.

As far as Bent Willy's, they were the object of a law suit a couple years ago, so that could factor into their situation too. The U. seems to be buying everything they can get their hands on downtown though. I have to believe they plan a major development of some sort in addition to the new Business and Economics building. I think the Mountainlair parking garage is slated for removal too since the roof holding the courtyard is apparently not in the best shape.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-31-2018 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM

202 posts, read 218,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Would be interesting if they leveled the whole area and built a big parking garage with store fronts on the bottom like they did just on the other side of the campus. Also the university as of a year or two ago, owns that tiny parking lot right next to Bents. I have to imagine the university has big plans for all that land there, especially since Evansdale construction is coming to an end here in the next year or so. I hope they start on the falling run road and univ avenue project very soon.

which lot specifically?

Old 04-06-2018, 01:00 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
which lot specifically?
They did/do (haven't been by recently to see) own the tiny little parking lot just to the left of Bent's.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:55 PM

202 posts, read 218,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Tunnel seems to be most logical option. No clearance issues. Seems to be a bigger thing outside of the USA. Not sure why American towns always want to built pedestrian bridges over things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown