Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:55 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,052,264 times

Advertisements

The holding company that owns Waterfront Place Hotel has announced that they are making it a Marriott.
They also say they will make significant "upgrades", although it really is hard to imagine what that means here. This hotel is already easily one of the 3 best in our state behind Greenbriar and Oglebay... it is first class in every regard, so I don't know what they can improve.

Stonebridge Companies Announces Morgantown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 08:06 PM

354 posts, read 506,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They also say they will make significant "upgrades", although it really is hard to imagine what that means here.
From the article: "Extensive property renovations will start in July and include; all common areas, a new signature restaurant concept, Bourbon Prime Steakhouse, an addition of a Starbucks coffee house, an addition of a second floor Marriott Rewards Lounge, a refreshed on-site fitness center with new equipment, upgrades to the large indoor pool, and complete guest rooms renovations."

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
From the article: "Extensive property renovations will start in July and include; all common areas, a new signature restaurant concept, Bourbon Prime Steakhouse, an addition of a Starbucks coffee house, an addition of a second floor Marriott Rewards Lounge, a refreshed on-site fitness center with new equipment, upgrades to the large indoor pool, and complete guest rooms renovations."
I read that, but the current facilities are very nice too. The Starbucks is a new twist. How much can you do to upgrade fitness equipment? Overall, I do believe this is a good move for this facility. The city has plans in place to do a much better job of tying the Wharf area in with High Street, and to provide lighting on the Trail from the Hotel to Ruby Park to encourage night usage, as well as on the Deckers Creek trail up to the area under the High Street Bridge with enhanced access between there and High Street. That will not only improve access for business purposes, it will also improve safety because it will eliminate the need to walk across University Ave./Don Knotts Blvd. which can be treacherous.

I've talked with the Mayor, who told me that a major goal is to assist the Wharf District in further development and the above items are part of that effort.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:56 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,230,274 times
Default Wow

I wonder if this will be one of the signature Marriott's since we already have a farfield inn and I saw at the baseball game over the weekend that they are building a Courtyard by Marriott right across the road from the baseball stadium, from the pictures the Courtyard looks pretty nice. Now I just hope Sheraton is the hotel chosen for WVU's hotel.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:45 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,423,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I wonder if this will be one of the signature Marriott's since we already have a farfield inn and I saw at the baseball game over the weekend that they are building a Courtyard by Marriott right across the road from the baseball stadium, from the pictures the Courtyard looks pretty nice. Now I just hope Sheraton is the hotel chosen for WVU's hotel.
This will be a signature Marriott akin to the one in Charleston (which is the only other straight-up Marriott in the state).

Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,230,274 times
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
This will be a signature Marriott akin to the one in Charleston (which is the only other straight-up Marriott in the state).
Thank you for the clarification!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 AM

It's a first rate facility that gets rave reviews from those who stay there. This will be a nice addition to the Marriott line. My ex wife and her husband stayed there (and believe me, she is VERY hard to please), and they still talk about the service and accommodations.

Milan spared no expense when he had this built.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
I've stayed there on a number of occasions. I would put it in the top 10 in the state. It is a nice hotel, and in a good location right on the river.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 PM

I think "nice" is a major understatement, but most importantly it is in an area that the city is taking an interest in putting major emphasis in developing. In the past, everything that has been developed there has been done with private funds, mostly from Milan Puskar and the Petropolis family. He funded the hotel, and also the large office complex next to it which he build for The University and donated it to them. Petropolis renovated the old factories and turned them into office and business locations.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/wate...ighlight_room=

Now, the City is finally taking an interest in making that area all it can be, and will be getting on board with development efforts there by making major improvements to lighting, walkways, connections to High Street, and assisting with getting more businesses to locate in that area. It is finally high on their list of priorities. I think the Wharf District, 5 years from now will be vastly improved over what it is today.

In my opinion, Jeep should relocate to University Town Center as a Chrysler-Jeep and that space should be another hotel connected to the conference center. If I were a developer, I would try to make that happen.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 04-20-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 PM

25 posts, read 35,789 times
So glad to see a place that is slightly better than my standard Courtyard will be available for less than $600 per night for gameday. Finally, a non ghetto place to stay for a game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown