Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM

671 posts, read 1,061,597 times

Advertisements

For the upcoming March meeting:

PC Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

Of note, the Spruce/Willey St site is back on agenda, which we've previously discussed on this site. In other news, a group that bought Sunnyside Commons a couple of years ago is working to rebuild the site into 500+ beds. Looks a bit generic, but I'm all for increasing student population density in Sunnyside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:58 PM

334 posts, read 498,154 times
March 13th we'll be reading all about David Biafora's insane fear mongering theatrics once again preventing the CA Student Living from ever getting the green light.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,107,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
March 13th we'll be reading all about David Biafora's insane fear mongering theatrics once again preventing the CA Student Living from ever getting the green light.
Please attend this meeting and take as many folks along as possible. I will be out of town and unable to attend, but if you have a chance to speak out you can help counter Biafora's intimidation tactics.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 AM

The newspaper failed to report on last night's meeting, so if anyone went or watched on the telly, post your reaction here please.

I hope the other big development news gets through the planning process -- I like the prospect of 500 more beds north of University Place. My only problem with that project is that it has University Ave frontage that lacks retail space.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:49 AM

Board of Zoning Appeals Agenda items for March:

BZA Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

A couple notes, Denny's is planning to set up shop across the parking lot from the Walmart on Hornbeck Rd (the I68 WalMart - I think that's the name of the road where you can find it).

The (re)developers of Sunnyside Commons are much further along than I thought - traffic studies, etc. They are asking for variances to get out of building sidewalks where they do not currently exist around this development, and, as I originally expected, avoid having to install ground-level retail space. I"ll be curious to see how the planning commission and BZA alter this project as the developer tries to appease the local residents and get approval.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 15,781 times
CA/494 Spruce passed 6-3.
ACC/Univ Ave passed 9-0.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:15 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,435,887 times
Good. Does CA still need to go through the BZA?

Old 03-13-2015, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 15,781 times
Not on its own accord, as BZA has already determined that there was no variance related to the canyon effect for the current design. There is a 30-day period for outside appeals to be filed, however.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:44 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,107,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Board of Zoning Appeals Agenda items for March:

BZA Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

A couple notes, Denny's is planning to set up shop across the parking lot from the Walmart on Hornbeck Rd (the I68 WalMart - I think that's the name of the road where you can find it).

The (re)developers of Sunnyside Commons are much further along than I thought - traffic studies, etc. They are asking for variances to get out of building sidewalks where they do not currently exist around this development, and, as I originally expected, avoid having to install ground-level retail space. I"ll be curious to see how the planning commission and BZA alter this project as the developer tries to appease the local residents and get approval.
I saw where the for sale signs on that property Denny's will be using were removed. It was only a matter of time before somebody took over that high traffic property, and Denny's is as good as anybody else. That is good news. Thanks for posting.

I find it hard to understand the Sunnyside Commons desire to avoid sidewalks there. Given the scope of that project, that would have to be a very small percentage of their costs. The retail space part could make sense.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:01 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,435,887 times
I can understand the lack of retail at Sunnyside Commons. I think it could be done, mind you, but it's understandable. Aside from any possible geologic or structural problems they might encounter, as the terrain is rather steep there at pedestrian grade, there just might be logistical issues. Maybe the company doesn't want to deal with managing and leasing retail spaces. Plus, that area is right before the "dead zone" on University as you go up the hill. It's on the periphery of Sunnyside in terms of frontage on University, so retail prospects may not be the best anyway. I'd rather it be better integrated into the pedestrian sphere, yes, but for this particular location, I can let it go. The real glut of commercial redevelopment will take place closer to campus anyway, from Houston to Campus Drive, so most any development to increase population density in the surrounding area is fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown