Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM

28 posts, read 121,178 times

Advertisements

Sorry, this may be a long one! I have a bunch of questions. I am a mom with kids of all ages, I will have kids in Pre-K thru High School.

What schools do you think are the best? It can be in one of the out lying counties. I have a daughter that lives to run, so which schools have the best programs?

Also, my husband can build just about anything, so construction is an option. He also has experience as a Plumber's helper and has also worked in restaurants. What do these type jobs pay there?

We want to rent while getting to know the area, which areas do you recommend? What do rents run? We also need a pet friendly house.

Last question, I promise what are the winters like? I LOVE snow!!

I have spent hours and hours online researching, but it always helps to actually hear it from people that live there. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 PM

938 posts, read 2,899,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemtnchik View Post
Sorry, this may be a long one! I have a bunch of questions. I am a mom with kids of all ages, I will have kids in Pre-K thru High School.
Nice to meet you.

Quote:
What schools do you think are the best? It can be in one of the out lying counties. I have a daughter that lives to run, so which schools have the best programs?
Honestly, the public schools in Morgantown are the best in the area. I'm told the ones in the Suncrest area are great for elementary/middle school.

Quote:
Also, my husband can build just about anything, so construction is an option. He also has experience as a Plumber's helper and has also worked in restaurants. What do these type jobs pay there?
I have little idea of pay, but I would wager it is pretty decent. Morgantown currently happens to be going through a period of sustained expansion. With that expansion bring a whole bunch of new construction. It's almost like developers can't get things up fast enough. Here are the local classifieds. (http://olive.dominionpost.com/classifieds/ - broken link)

Quote:
We want to rent while getting to know the area, which areas do you recommend? What do rents run? We also need a pet friendly house.
How many bedrooms? Usually 2, maybe 3 will run you $700-ish. A nice townhouse will rent for $1250-ish. The best area, IMO, is the Suncrest area. It's quiet, has good schools, and is right in the middle of town. The area on the other side of I-68 near Sabraton is nice, as is Cheat Lake, and parts of South Park. But if you do take one thing away from this discussion....DO NOT LIVE ANYWHERE NEAR SUNNYSIDE OR STUDENT HOUSING. For the love of all things good and holy. It will drive you nutty with all of the partying and shenanigans. Though the sight of burning couches after a big WVU football win is typically amusing!

Quote:
You'll like Mo'Town. Kinda cold, snowy....but watch out for the hills. An SUV or a Subaru are nice things to have come November.

Quote:
I have spent hours and hours online researching, but it always helps to actually hear it from people that live there. Thanks so much!
We look forward to hearing more from you!

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 06-25-2007 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 AM

74 posts, read 369,894 times
Morgantown has some great schools. I attended Morgantown High (not that long ago), and in my opinion it's the best public high school in the area. They have a great atheltic program there, too. The best pubilc elementary and middle school are Suncest Middle School and North Elementary.

If you're looking into private schools, I recommend Trinity Christian School Welcome to vDeck. This school is pre-k through 12th grade. It's in a brand new building (built in 2005, I think) and is known for their acedemic excellence. My mom works here, so I'm a little biased. Feel free to send me a private message if you would like more information.
There is also St. Francis Elementary and Middle School if you are looking at parochial schools. I have some friends and family that attended this school and were very pleased with it.

Morgantown has great winters-- lots of snow and cold! If you move to Preston County, they get even more snow since their elevation is so much higher than Morgantown.

Sorry, I can't speak for the job market in Morgantown. I'm not familiar with it since I moved from there about 3 years ago.

As for rent, I recommed the Suncrest/Star City, Brookhaven, and Cheat Lake areas.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 20,859 times

I attend Cheat Lake Middle and it has gets very good scores some of the highest in the state. Althought the school isn't that nice but the elementary school is extremely nice. Westwood, Cheat Lake, Suncrest, and South (all schools around or in Morgantown) have track and cross country programs.

I'm not sure how much he will get paid but he can deffinitely be able to get a job there are restaraunts, stores, and houses going up everywhere.

Well, if you want to move into a condo they are all over the Morgantown area. But if you are looking for a single house Cheat Lake has alot of nice neighborhoods such as Foxwood, Green Tree, Four Seasons, Meadowlands, and much more!

There is sometimes alot of snow on the ground and great for sledding because there are hills everywhere. A few years ago we received 3 feet of snow and I missed a week and a half of school!!

I have spent hours and hours online researching, but it always helps to actually hear it from people that live there. Thanks so much![/quote]

no problem

Old 10-19-2007, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 13,401 times
Bridgeport has the best schools in the state. Bridgeport High School is the only high school in West Virginia that is a Federal Blue Ribbon School, even though I'm not a fan of No Child Left Behind, I've got to admit that being the only one in the state is quite an honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown