Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 11,194 times

Advertisements

I moving to Montreal in about a year, but I have never been there and there is little information about their culture on the internet. I know that they are proud of their culture and history, speak French, and that they are also very open-minded, tolerant, and liberal... but I want to know the details of their daily life and what it's like to live their as a foreigner. I want to know about how easy it is to make friends, what kind of dating norms exist... just have a basic understanding of what I should expect!
I'm from San Diego, but my father is from Slovakia and my mother is from Mexico, so I have been greatly influenced by both European and Latin ideals... which is the primary reason why I want to move away and explore other cultures. I also speak French and have visited France various times, but I know that Montreal will be very different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,566 times
Montreal is full of foreigners so welcome to the club. Very diverse cultures exist here. It is also very
North American too. Not so different when it comes to basics like dining, wining and song. Well, maybe
not in that order. There is enough going on here that you will have no problems to meet, date or make
new friends. In the Winter time you just have to get out. Join up whatever interests you. Things do
get a little quiet in the long Winter. I would be more concerned about getting used to that if you're from
San Diego. I grew up in Los Angeles and when I learned how to dress properly for the snow it made it a lot easier. Down coat 3/4 length works best for me in a solid color with hood. Get the hood. Wear a wool cap you can scrunch under that. Heavy mitts for really cold days. Get extra gloves of different
kinds according to weather. Get a couple of pairs of good boots. One pair waterproof. Thin long johns, some heavier weight pants. Cotton pullovers. Sweaters are too hot if you have to zip in and out of places. Get a big knapsack that you can stuff your all this xxxx into. If you drive that's another
ball game. Oh yeah, and a wool scarf when you need to protect your face. A strong umbrella. Chapstix. Or just live near a subway, the Metro.https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon10.gif The weather here is exciting and ever changing so enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Culture of Quebec: Friendship & Dating-100_2013.jpg  

Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by val0u View Post
I moving to Montreal in about a year, but I have never been there and there is little information about their culture on the internet. I know that they are proud of their culture and history, speak French, and that they are also very open-minded, tolerant, and liberal... but I want to know the details of their daily life and what it's like to live their as a foreigner. I want to know about how easy it is to make friends, what kind of dating norms exist... just have a basic understanding of what I should expect!
I'm from San Diego, but my father is from Slovakia and my mother is from Mexico, so I have been greatly influenced by both European and Latin ideals... which is the primary reason why I want to move away and explore other cultures. I also speak French and have visited France various times, but I know that Montreal will be very different!
If your French is fluent, it will take a few weeks for your ear to adjust to the Quebec accent but soon after that you should be picking up even jokes fairly easily.

Note that Montreal also has a lot of "international" francophones, so these people would speak in an accent you might be more familiar with, although with Québécois expressions sometimes thrown in there.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,624 times
I'll be visiting Montreal soon and may be staying for a while, so I've been looking into this topic.

I found a couple of short articles:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...any-other-city

Notable.ca | Beautiful Women, Many Single. Why, Montreal?

These articles are entertaining but not what I would call serious journalism. How accurate are they about dating in Montreal?

I've also found lots of interesting groups on Meetup.com. I was going to take a French class in Montreal but decided to join a Meetup for French conversation practice instead (my French is ok, but I want to get it to an advanced level).

Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
I'll be visiting Montreal soon and may be staying for a while, so I've been looking into this topic.

These articles are entertaining but not what I would call serious journalism. How accurate are they about dating in Montreal?

I've also found lots of interesting groups on Meetup.com. I was going to take a French class in Montreal but decided to join a Meetup for French conversation practice instead (my French is ok, but I want to get it to an advanced level).
Like anything, there is some truth in those articles.

Regardless of what some people say, Montreal is a foreign place for Americans. A familiarly foreign place (I mean, it's not like India of course) but foreign just the same.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post

There's some truth there, depending on your perspective. Of course it's exaggerated but, I won't say it doesn't give a general gist of things. Of course, they're all complaining, but I think Montreal's a great place to date, people are more open and laid back then in English Canada (even local English Quebecers are).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal