Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,353,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What exactly is the advantage of going to an English-language public school in Montreal over a French-language one?
I sent my son to an English school because I wanted him to speak English, perfectly. He may or may not stay in Quebec, or even Canada, for that matter, and I wanted him to have every possible advantage. Unilingual Francophones are pretty much stuck here. His French is quite good because they do teach a lot of French in the English system, he works in French and has francophone friends/girlfriends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,411 times
Default English Public schools

HI Girish
Hope alls well.
Can you tell me what is the school that you enrolled your kids in. We will be moving to Montreal soon and would like to know the options for English speaking students 8 year old.
Look forward to your reply.
Thanks in advance
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish View Post
Hi,

I also will be moving to Montreal in this summer with family and kids 8 & 5. When I see the list of schools listed at [URL]http://www.emsb.qc.ca/en/schools_en/pdf/listofschools2010-2011.pdf[/URL]. I see that there are different kind of schools Bil/Eng/Imm/E & I etc. Does anyone have idea what exactly they mean and what is the criteria to get admission for each? What are the options for someone who is on Temp Work Permit?

Thanks
Girish

Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 24,191 times
HI, I am new to the forum. We have plans to move to Montreal. I have 3+ years old daughter and looking for a good English school. We are coming from Singapore and here, she is in nursery . What will the 3+ years old school life in Montreal? Any suggestion is appreciated. Any IB school there? Please comment on international school vs private school vs public school? Many Thanks.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myat View Post
HI, I am new to the forum. We have plans to move to Montreal. I have 3+ years old daughter and looking for a good English school. We are coming from Singapore and here, she is in nursery . What will the 3+ years old school life in Montreal? Any suggestion is appreciated. Any IB school there? Please comment on international school vs private school vs public school? Many Thanks.
If you are coming as immigrants you should read up on the rules as your daughter will almost certainly not be able to go to public English school in Montreal. She will have to go to French school. Unless you want to pay to go to private school out of your pocket.

Again, you should probably read up on this.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Thank you for the comments , Acajack. We will be on work permit and we are not sure how long it will be at this point of time.My main concern is her school. Are there any recommendation for English public school with good reputation? My understanding is if someone is under work permit, kids can go to English public school.Private school is an option but it is alot of $$. The reason for looking for English school is, if we were to move again to another country, my daughter could be able to sit in placement tests in English for schools in other country. We dont know what future holds at the moment.The work place is at downtown and we could stay not far from there. Are there any school for kids under 4 years?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
I think you should be OK for English schools with a temporary work permit.

Sorry - cannot help you with school recommendations.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,147,281 times
Quote:
Thank you for the comments , Acajack. We will be on work permit and we are not sure how long it will be at this point of time.My main concern is her school. Are there any recommendation for English public school with good reputation? My understanding is if someone is under work permit, kids can go to English public school.Private school is an option but it is alot of $$. The reason for looking for English school is, if we were to move again to another country, my daughter could be able to sit in placement tests in English for schools in other country. We dont know what future holds at the moment.The work place is at downtown and we could stay not far from there. Are there any school for kids under 4 years?
Some (but definitely not all) public schools offer pre-K programs for 4-year-old kids but school attendance usually begins at 5 years old in Quebec (kindergarten). Before that, almost all kids go to some sort of daycare center, some of which are subsidized and tougher to get into, while others are significantly more expensive but may have special programs (e.g. pre-K Montessori, etc).

Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM

thank you barneyg. How about private ? What does local parent takes on private?. If she is not going to school, she wont get socialized, i find that is important too. I will check out the pre-K Montessori. If there isnt alternative, I have to send her to private . I really want her to have local friends, get to know cultures and routines etc.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,147,281 times
Quote:
thank you barneyg. How about private ? What does local parent takes on private?. If she is not going to school, she wont get socialized, i find that is important too. I will check out the pre-K Montessori. If there isnt alternative, I have to send her to private . I really want her to have local friends, get to know cultures and routines etc.
Private what, schools or daycare centers? All daycare centers are technically private, including the subsidized ones (parents must pay $7/day instead of $25-35). There isn't much of a reputation difference between them overall. Most parents will shoot for a $7 spot that's as close as possible to their home or work, and when it isn't possible they'll go for a 'regular' ($25-35) place instead. Both of these places range from the small operation in a single-family home with a single multiage group of 5-10 kids to larger places with 75 kids split into age groups.

As for schools, the large majority of parents send their kids to public elementary schools, and differences in "school quality" at the elementary level are often mostly attributed to the school's surroundings or demographics (i.e. poverty-stricken areas = more problems), not to the competence of teachers or the amenities of the school. This is not so true at the secondary level, where private schools usually have a better reputation than public schools.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Hi Barneyg, Thank you for the information.That's what I need. I think I have to enroll her into daycare first before she can join school. How long in-advance should a parent enroll the child so that the kid gets accepted either for daycare or kindergarten or elementary school? My daughter is 3+. I guess, we will be there before she turns 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal