Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 PM

110 posts, read 621,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
Yes, I agree with you 100%. NYC can burn people out. I'm especially feeling it now with all the Wall Street drama and job losses. People seem to come across as a lot more protective .... and competitive (which I didn't think was humanly possible). ha!
Well, what are you waiting for ? Come and enjoy springtime in Montreal and maybe you'll stay for a longer period of time. Of course you may need a break sometimes next february bit above all you'll find your pleasure in Montreal.

As far as classical music, i agree that NYC is hard to beat but Montreal is doing very well. More than we think. We do have Place des Arts which is our Lincoln Center. Place des Arts as many different venues. Montreal also has the ''Orchestre symphonique de Montréal'' which has worldwide recognition with it's master Chef Kent Nagano. The city is on his way to built a ''hall'' for this orchestra which is missing. It should be built right next the Place des Arts existing building.

Then, there is also the ''Orchestre metropolitain'' with the much younger but very energetic Yannic Nézet-Séguin as a chef. He is also the Chef of the Rotterdam Orchestra.

Other venues such as Ballet and Opéra are also available very frequently at the Place des arts. The one thing missing in Montreal is something like a Carnegie Hall.

Carnegie Hall is a very amazing building, at least on the outside as i have never been inside......

But when one mentions the MET, is this included within the Lincoln center ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,068,218 times
Yes, the Metropolitan Opera is located inside the Lincoln Center. It is gorgeous inside and the acoustics are great!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Yes, the Metropolitan Opera is located inside the Lincoln Center. It is gorgeous inside and the acoustics are great!
Have you also been to the Carnegie Hall ? And if yes, where would you prefer to see a concert beetwen the Carnegie and the MET ?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,852,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
Entirely right. The story is quite big in Canada but most people are aware that Fox news is Fox news and doesnt represent the entire american population. Of course if Fox news becomes more and more embrace by american people then other countries will start wondering but i dont see it coming soon, hopefully.

The timing is bad but also very ''distasteful''. It reminded me of Howard Strern, 10 years ago. He was live from New York (i guess) and is show was being broadcasted on CHOM-Fm in Montreal. On the first day of the broadcast in Montreal he compared french people (french canadian) to dirt bags or something like that.

The radio station, even if an english one, had a majority of french listerners because they played good 70's rock. Obviously the complaints started coming in and within few weeks the Howard Stern show was off the air but the radio station never really recovered from that. I, for one, used to listen to it quite a lot but never had since then.

But the Fox news show has no listeners at all here in Quebec as it isnt being broadcasted on regular cable but i think it is being boradcasted in the rest of Canada therefor the story is much bigger there.
The story of Canada taking a year off from Afghanistan should be a big story in the US, but it isn't.
Only one mention of it and it is sadly on latenight where no one hears about it.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:01 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,068,218 times
Antoyne: No, I haven't been to Carnegie Hall! But I believe that's where the orchestra plays. You'll find operas and ballets at the Met.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Antoyne: No, I haven't been to Carnegie Hall! But I believe that's where the orchestra plays. You'll find operas and ballets at the Met.
I went to see Aznavour at the Wilfrid-Pelletier Hall, which is part of the Place des Arts in Montréal, last week and the concert was great considering the man is 84 tears old. I really enjoyed the hall as it was my first time there.

I know Aznavour also played few nights in NYC but i think he played at the City Center but since i have never heard of that place and don't even know where it is located can anyone tell me what dos it look like and how is the place in general ?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 PM

41 posts, read 173,909 times
Montreal feels like Detroit on the St. Lawrence in comparison to New York City. But as far as medium sized cities go, it does ok. It's overrated but beyond that it's a nice place to live, less so to visit unless you're coming from Scranton or even Boston.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,163,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn1 View Post
Montreal feels like Detroit on the St. Lawrence in comparison to New York City. .
This is a big exaggeration but it is true there is no comparison between Montreal and New York City. Montreal punches above its weight when it comes to big city feel and in this respect can feel more like a "metropolis" than many North American cities of comparable or larger size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn1 View Post
But as far as medium sized cities go, it does ok. It's overrated but beyond that it's a nice place to live, less so to visit unless you're coming from Scranton or even Boston.
This is only true if you completely evacuate the francophone element of the city, which is essentially what "makes" its personality what it is.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:37 PM

719 posts, read 1,557,071 times
The OP doesn't specify if we're comparing them as places to visit or places to live, or a different set of criteria altogether.
That said, I'd choose Montreal as a place I'd prefer to both visit and live. I've spent ample time in each city and for me personally, it's not even close.
NYC is too big, too busy, too rude, too expensive, too dangerous, too difficult to get around.
To me, Montreal has most of the benefits of a city the size of NYC, without the major drawbacks mentioned previously. It also draws me as the culture is 100% unique in North America.
A previous poster mentioned French-speaking majority as I negative. I view it quite the opposite and find it one of the draws for me. I speak some French, so that obviously helps. My advice is that if you're a non-French speaker, take some time to learn a few salutations / greetings prior to visiting. Download some podcasts for introductory French and at the very least spend a few hours listening to basic phrases/greetings/salutations. One thing I used to say a lot in conversation that was a bit above my skill set was Je suis désolé. Je ne parle pas de français bien. Pouvez-vous le répéter ou dire dans l'anglais. (I'm sorry. I do not speak french well. Can you repeat or say that in english?) I found that 90% of the time, the person/people would reply back in English. Some would compliment me on my efforts to learn the language when they knew I was from the States. But 100% of the time, it was greeted positively. I don't doubt that there are bad experiences to be had, but there are relatively easy ways to not wind up being thought of and treated as the stereotypical "ugly american tourist"

Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,544,494 times
Someone mentioned 3.5 million for Montreal.....I think that's a more like 4 million today (within 1 hour of downtown Montreal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal