Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM

832 posts, read 1,257,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The mentality of the typical Quebecois, in my mind, is closer to that of a European than it is to that of an American or an Anglo-Canadian. I have relatives in Southern Europe. The Quebecois have more of the "live and let live" mentality, the "joie de vivre" and the ability to laugh at themselves. I've seen it in Montreal, in the small towns in the Laurentians, in Quebec City, and in Trois Rivieres.

Would any American major say what Jean Drapeau said about Toronto's emergence as a financial power in Canada:
"Let Toronto be Milan, we will always be Rome."
If that isn't a European mind at work, then what is?
Another american that know more than an european... I give up this thread & let people in there ignorance... joie de vivre... joke

Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM

179 posts, read 831,979 times
So people aren't entitled to their own opinion then? Sounds like pretentiousness and a snobby attitude to me. Typical Parisian Like when I met some French people here in Mexico and when I spoke to them in my "lowly Québec dialect" they started making fun of it because "It's not real French and it sounds disgusting"

Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
So people aren't entitled to their own opinion then? Sounds like pretentiousness and a snobby attitude to me. Typical Parisian Like when I met some French people here in Mexico and when I spoke to them in my "lowly Québec dialect" they started making fun of it because "It's not real French and it sounds disgusting"
A 2001 toyota sequoya is like a benthley continental... I never drove a benthley, never even saw one real life but it is my opinion... See your logic? 1n ipad is like a samsung TV... It is my opinion... There is a difference between telling things like it is & by that I mean that montreal is not like europe, & making fun of peoples... some french makes fun of quebecor? Well, they're fools, but telling that someone who never went to europe & only saw 1/10 of montreal for 2 days says that it is like europe despite the fact that european natives who actualy lived in BOTH Montreal & many european places & tells you who never lived niether in montreal nor europe that it is completely different but yet you know better...? This is the snobby atitude.

I never went to mexico but i'll assume it is like switzerland... tell me it is not i will tell you that i know better than you & it is my opinion

Old 03-08-2012, 06:29 PM

179 posts, read 831,979 times
Your problem is that you think everything is either Black or White, there is no Grey area for you, and you try soooo hard to make sure that everyone understands that Montreal is not like Europe, then again Montreal has over 300 of European influence in North American land, which will make it a nice hybrid between both. Montreal is not France but it's not exactly California either, and this is what you swear that Montreal is soooooo North American. Funny how you can group a continent 3 times the size of Europe in just one definition, then you nod and agree when someone mentions how similar Montréal is to North America, but when someone points out the similarities between Montréal and France you jump on your horse and start attacking.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Your problem is that you think everything is either Black or White, there is no Grey area for you, and you try soooo hard to make sure that everyone understands that Montreal is not like Europe, then again Montreal has over 300 of European influence in North American land, which will make it a nice hybrid between both. Montreal is not France but it's not exactly California either, and this is what you swear that Montreal is soooooo North American. Funny how you can group a continent 3 times the size of Europe in just one definition, then you nod and agree when someone mentions how similar Montréal is to North America, but when someone points out the similarities between Montréal and France you jump on your horse and start attacking.
you told me i was snoby... i made you taste your medecine.... Montreal has a french influence but not as big as people try to make it to be... just the old port look european, not the rest... grinded streets, duplexes, larges road, lot of space... there is a reason why most french peoples has to adapt to montreal... Me too i though montreal & old quebec was "european" until i actualy move there... & how do you expect me to react when someone says that quebec is more taxed than many european places... should i let it grey or should i bring facts that proove the oposite...? Or when peoples say the work systeme is like europe... should i leave it grey or bring fact that tells yes or no?
When you are wrong in a school test, you get & F, not a "it's your opinion" grade...

Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,292,329 times

Civility in this thread seems to be dipping to a new low so we'll call it a day.

Here's a refresher on what civility entails:

"...Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website."

https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

If anyone is confused by any of the above, feel free to DM me and I will explain it further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal