Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I'm trying to picture Steelers fans on horse-drawn buggies... does not compute.
But think of the NASBUGGY series. Now that'd be something to watch; The Coka-Cola 10 mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
No NASBUGGY or Steelers. The only sport will be a good barn-raising competition. Only Dutch will be spoken.
It will please me as a tourist. I may show up once every three years, and I want to be CHARMED, dammit!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,142,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No NASBUGGY or Steelers. The only sport will be a good barn-raising competition. Only Dutch will be spoken.
It will please me as a tourist. I may show up once every three years, and I want to be CHARMED, dammit!
Even more OT than it was, but... that would be "Pennsylvania Dutch" not Dutch

Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
One thing that is being lost in the discussion is that French in Montreal and Quebec is not ''analogous'' to Spanish in American cities. Or Pennsylvania Dutch or Arabic in Dearborn.

French in Quebec is equivalent to English in the United States.

Although English has been around for a long time, it's still the ''late-comer" when compared to French here.

So comparing French signs in Montreal to Spanish signs in Miami (which BTW was very predominantly anglo until only 40 or 50 years ago) is a fallacy.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM

It's very amusing to read all the scorn and vitriol towards the American OP commenting on Canadian affairs, when we know how likely Canadians are to keep their opinion about American affairs to themselves!

And also how English-speaking Canadians, Quebecers and Montrealers always react when the shoe is on the other foot and foreigners are critical of Quebec's language régime.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post

The laws banning immigrant children from schools can be described as nothing other than racial assimilation, without question.

It's not any different than immgrants going to school in English in the US, in German in Berlin or Swedish in Stockholm.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas HoldEm View Post
I support English sign laws as it enhances our safety on the road.
Bingo!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas HoldEm View Post
I support English sign laws as it enhances our safety on the road.
Almost all signs except for place names are pictograms anyway.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 PM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post
it's not any different than immgrants going to school in english in the us, in german in berlin or swedish in stockholm.
So you're implying that Quebec is a francophone province where the lingua franca must be french and french only and English speakers are to speak french or get out and even though the English have contributed to the economy and history of Quebec in an undeniably equal or even superior amount than French-speakers, it is still all right to deny them the right to school their children in one of the languages that Quebec was built in so you can get revenge for the fact that your racist, french-supremacist fantasy of a French-only nation-state never was and never will be? Maybe if Germany or Sweden had English schools for 200 years and built up an English minority of ~20% and then all of the sudden decided to take all of their rights away, and then rebrand themselves as a unilingual nation state , then maybe yes I could see how it would be "not any different".

Last edited by pdw; 06-04-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's very amusing to read all the scorn and vitriol towards the American OP commenting on Canadian affairs, when we know how likely Canadians are to keep their opinion about American affairs to themselves!

And also how English-speaking Canadians, Quebecers and Montrealers always react when the shoe is on the other foot and foreigners are critical of Quebec's language régime.
The foreigner wasn't critical of Quebec's language regime. The tourist was saying we should embrace it because he wants to feel like he's in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal