Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:26 PM

458 posts, read 1,358,242 times

Advertisements

I am wondering why so many people want to live in Canada and work in the States? I am not knocking it, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
I am wondering why so many people want to live in Canada and work in the States? I am not knocking it, just curious.
I agree. This is baffling me. I can understand the moving to Canada bit.. but keeping your job in the US is rather confusing. Could it be the exchange rate? Making US dollars and exchanging it to CDN to buy your personal goods?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,339,426 times
Yes you can. my Dad did that for a while, but he is a Canadian citizen living in the United States.

One thing to consider is the taxation - Canada will tax at 1.5 times the normal rate on your property taxes, which be a backbreaker.

You may want to think this one through the whole way, because it is a lot of work, and very very expensive. I was born and raised in Montreal and loved it, but it gets dull after a while. We have the Habs, but Canada really isn't any more exciting than the US. And American politics is far more interesting!

One thing to note - if you live in the US, you will still need to pay into Canada's pension, healthcare, etc. When your husband retires he will indeed receive a pension (the amount varies depending on his contribution) but it will likely be quite low if he only works in Canada for a couple of years. You won't able to take advantage of MediCare unless you are residents of Canada (which is very easy once you have a job)

I would honestly get a lawyer if you are seriously considering it. I got one to handle the move to the US and he charged $2000 per person to help us with our visas and green cards. Money very well spent.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,138,636 times
Quote:

Have you been to montreal?

It is a fun city..

Too much graffiti but fun nevertheless.

Definitely better than cleaveland ohio!

Montrel you get an international city, but at much more affordable prices, than the international cities in America!

hope that helps!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 PM

458 posts, read 1,358,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Have you been to montreal?

It is a fun city..

Too much graffiti but fun nevertheless.

Definitely better than cleaveland ohio!

Montrel you get an international city, but at much more affordable prices, than the international cities in America!

hope that helps!
Yes I have actually, I was not asking why move there, I was asking why live in Canada and work in the US? I am just curious.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,126 times
Default US Resident - Can one telecommute from Montreal to US?

This may sound obvious to some but thought I would get the benefit of those who may have tried. Like some of the previous posters I have an interest in moving to Montreal. My work essentially is telecommuting, I have no office and conduct all business from my phone and internet. I have responsibility for the North East region including Canada and looking to move temporarily for 1 to 2 years from Manhattan to Montreal.

Should I be aware of any laws or regulations relative to renting apartments or cars? Also have any of you required any medical attention in Canada and I am wondering about how health insurance may or may not work if I retain my US alignment and don't get a visa.

Also if I pursue any business opportunities within Canada does this constitute any violations (ie. an American taking a Canadians work)

All thoughts insights and helpful comments appreciated. Thanks !!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,769,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixtrip View Post
This may sound obvious to some but thought I would get the benefit of those who may have tried. Like some of the previous posters I have an interest in moving to Montreal. My work essentially is telecommuting, I have no office and conduct all business from my phone and internet. I have responsibility for the North East region including Canada and looking to move temporarily for 1 to 2 years from Manhattan to Montreal.

Should I be aware of any laws or regulations relative to renting apartments or cars? Also have any of you required any medical attention in Canada and I am wondering about how health insurance may or may not work if I retain my US alignment and don't get a visa.

Also if I pursue any business opportunities within Canada does this constitute any violations (ie. an American taking a Canadians work)

All thoughts insights and helpful comments appreciated. Thanks !!
If you enter Canada as a visitor, you are not legally entitled to work, so of course pursuing business opportunities would constitute a violation.

Be aware, as well, that, as a visitor, you have no guaranteed right to enter the country; this could put you in the position of returning to the US for a visit only to be denied re-entry into Canada.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

110 posts, read 491,913 times
Do you know any French upstatenewyork?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,126 times
Thank you C-Guy. Just so i understand, if I come in as a visitor, regardless if i conduct business only with US clients in the US, I am still in violation. Sounds like I need a work visa then to make this completely legal. If i do pursue a work visa and am still paid from the US. must I pay register to some tax or fees for the privilege of working in Canada?

Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,213 times
Quote:
Am curious to know how one can plan to live in Montreal with family and can work in US bordered cities.
A person with Canada PR having US Work permit H1B visa holds any permit?

Pls suggest..!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal