Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,514 times

Advertisements

Hello!
In the spring, I will be moving to the Monterey area from the Dallas, TX area for a semester of school. My boyfriend is a Marine, and will be studying at the DLI. I will only be out there for one semester of college (or so that is the plan). We are looking at apartments, and I don't know much about the area. I was hoping that someone could give me some advice about the surrounding areas (Salinas, Marina, Seaside, etc). Some of the crime statistics are pretty frightening, but I'd like some opinions from people who live around that area. The only information I can find is kind of dated, but seems to say that things were getting better. I wonder if they're better yet? Thank ya'll so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I lived there for a few years, very nice towns there.
A lot of fog, usually breaks around noon. A lot of golf courses. The deer have to be played around as they lay on the greens. The most theft I seen was by the raccoons in Carmel. Carmel has dog friendly restaurants, not all but enough to share. The Carmel beach is dog friendly. Open air malls. Weather temperature rarely exceeds 75, only hot for a couple weeks and it is only 90 if that.

Join the aquarium, the yearly passes are reasonable and there is always something going on. Jazz at the Aquarium, wine tasting, Halloween. They have member only nights that you can see the fish more active than the day time. Most places there thrive on jazz but there are a few that have rock or country.
A lot of celebrities are in Carmel, I saw Clint Eastwood nearly every week. Never at his restaurant thou, his is one of the best happy hours in town.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
I would say Monterey, PG, Carmel and Pebble Beach are the nicest areas of the Penninsula. Our favorites are PG and Monterey for great proximity to everything. Crime happens everywhere. No place is totally immune. That said I think these areas are the safest generally speaking.

More frequent crime occurs in Salinas where gang shootings occur pretty regularly - mostly gang on gang. There are parts of Seaside and Marina which are not too good either.

Here is a thread talking about the neighborhoods that is still relevant:
Monterey neighborhoods.

If you are looking for economical check out the properties on base at Fort Ord. They have military housing.

Derek

Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,514 times
Thank you so much for the info, and for that other thread. That's exactly what I was looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County