Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 PM

159 posts, read 810,884 times

Advertisements

Tired of renting... Seaside real estate(near Monterey) looks affordable but
is it safe? Any area's better than another ?or is Marina better or worse?
We're currently renting in Aptos.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Seaside is basically where all the service-industry workers who can't afford to live in Monterey on their Monterey jobs live. It's got some problems with crime and poverty and the schools are not very good. Marina is similar and only a bit better. The crime numbers are better than Monterey, but it's deceptive, because the tourists in that town raise hell and make the numbers look worse. Monterey is overall a much better value even though it costs more.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Thanks Sonarrat, I was afraid of that but don't want to pay Monterey prices..
with everything going up from everything from gas to milk we were hoping to
find something affordable. It's amazing to me that places like Seaside with
homes in the 300's and up is filled with crime. Or Salinas which is off the charts and
filled with gangs, strange.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Well, Monterey-Salinas is the most unaffordable metro area, based on wages vs. real estate prices, in the country. What you're feeling is what everybody is feeling right now. I don't think Seaside is necessarily filled with crime, but it isn't Aptos.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:52 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Seaside has a lot of nice areas. Dont forget, a part of "Seaside" is now what was once Ft.Ord with almost brand new homes.I lived in Seaside and also Marina at one point, Seaside has some of the most spectacular views of the Penninsula you have ever seen. Dont discount it most of it is nice. Marina has fantastic prices, safe but has the dreaded dreary fog. it drove me out of there but was safe too.
If you are really interested in buying on the Penninsula i would suggest talking to a Real Esate agent telling them of your concern about Seaside, they know the areas you want to stay away from.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Seaside has a lot of nice areas. Dont forget, a part of "Seaside" is now what was once Ft.Ord with almost brand new homes.I lived in Seaside and also Marina at one point, Seaside has some of the most spectacular views of the Penninsula you have ever seen. Dont discount it most of it is nice. Marina has fantastic prices, safe but has the dreaded dreary fog. it drove me out of there but was safe too.
If you are really interested in buying on the Penninsula i would suggest talking to a Real Esate agent telling them of your concern about Seaside, they know the areas you want to stay away from.
Thank you! I think after mulling it over overnight and waking up to your
post we will go out with a realtor and look. I would hate the fog so
we'll stick with seaside. Doesn't hurt to look!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi View Post
Thank you! I think after mulling it over overnight and waking up to your
post we will go out with a realtor and look. I would hate the fog so
we'll stick with seaside. Doesn't hurt to look!
Good Luck! With the prices the way they've dropped there, i am sure you'll find something thats worth it and so close to Monterey, although Aptos is wonderful!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM

147 posts, read 310,922 times
It looks like I will choose Seaside near the university campus. Do homeowners in Seaside rent out rooms? I am not too sure whether or not new apartment complexes were built after Fort Ord was razed.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 10,040 times
Marina is alot safer than seaside.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally M View Post
Marina is alot safer than seaside.
But neither is particularly unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County