Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:08 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
You say it would delay me half a day? Why is that?

I'm not talking about driving over the bridge but driving from the hotel we stay at to the park area on the south end of the bridge. I've googled directions & it says 30 minutes from the airport to that park area.

And that's from the airport. I'd be coming from a hotel that would likely be 10-20 minutes north of the airport.

Now, I will say my original trip of just 1 full day of driving probably wouldn't work to well but I think I'm going to spend 2 days going from SF to LA area.

Thanks again for suggestions.

Oh I thought you were going to the North side of the Bridge, which is where all the views are. The City side of the Bridge does not have the same kind of views. So if you are not going to cross the Bridge, an early morning start should be OK. Have fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 09:54 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Oh I thought you were going to the North side of the Bridge, which is where all the views are. The City side of the Bridge does not have the same kind of views. So if you are not going to cross the Bridge, an early morning start should be OK. Have fun
Thanks. I actually checked out the north part back in 2016. Drove up near the bridge & saw all this fog pass by us. Pretty cool.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:07 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Once you start your road trip, unless you want to be rushed, figure two overnights between San Francisco and LA.

First overnight in the Monterey area and second overnight in the Morro Bay / San Luis Obispo area.

TripAdvisor has lots of information and their forum has some pinned advice for travel between LA and San Francisco.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Once you start your road trip, unless you want to be rushed, figure two overnights between San Francisco and LA.

First overnight in the Monterey area and second overnight in the Morro Bay / San Luis Obispo area.

TripAdvisor has lots of information and their forum has some pinned advice for travel between LA and San Francisco.
Thanks. That's actually what I decided I would do. I noticed you put Morro Bay & San Luis area. I checked that out on google maps. Looks like it's not to far from Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara was actually where I had planned to stay the 2nd night. Looks like as you get south of Morro Bay area I can get on the 101 because even the 1 comes inland. I'm not worried about staying on the 1 in areas inland away from the ocean so I imagine I can probably make it to Santa Barbara not to long after I pass Morro Bay.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
It's two hours from Morro Bay to Santa Barbara not including traffic. There is a reason why people recommend staying in Cambria/Morro Bay/Pismo Beach after driving down Hwy 1. It takes a lot longer than you think and a lot longer than Google Maps shows. Driving two more hours to Santa Barbara is your choice, but it will be a long day.

You'll have no choice but to get on the 101 at San Luis Obispo. Do not detour off the 101 at Pismo and Lompoc even though there are signs for Hwy 1. Those are not parts of Hwy 1 you want to see, plus it would add a lot more time to your trip.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
It's two hours from Morro Bay to Santa Barbara not including traffic. There is a reason why people recommend staying in Cambria/Morro Bay/Pismo Beach after driving down Hwy 1. It takes a lot longer than you think and a lot longer than Google Maps shows. Driving two more hours to Santa Barbara is your choice, but it will be a long day.

You'll have no choice but to get on the 101 at San Luis Obispo. Do not detour off the 101 at Pismo and Lompoc even though there are signs for Hwy 1. Those are not parts of Hwy 1 you want to see, plus it would add a lot more time to your trip.
Thanks. The reason I mention Santa Barbara is because I've driven from SB to LA before so I know the amount of time that will take. If I wake up in Santa Barbara I have plenty of time to get to a hotel at 3 pm in LA area. A lot will depend on what the day is like before I get to LA. I really have no idea how much I'll be stopping. I could see myself around San Luis by 3 pm on Saturday and driving a few more hours to SB for me would be doable but I will def keep what you said in mind.

I'm hoping to not book any hotels until the day of. I'm not sure how busy it is but even if I have to go more inland to find some random chain hotel I'd rather do that than have something scheduled.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:09 PM

13 posts, read 18,088 times
Highway 1 is a boring, slow and dangerous ride. If you want the “PCH experience” without the pointless nightmare of taking it all the way across the state I recommend you take the 5 to Kettleman City, stay at the Quality Inn there overnight, the next day get on Highway 41 and take that to Atascadero where you’ll get on the 101. You’ll see some good scenery in Pismo Beach but after that the first leg of your drive on the 101 will be driving through boring places like Santa Maria and Buellton...it isn’t until you get down to Gaviota that it starts getting beautiful enough to be worth the downsides of not just taking the 5.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:27 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanONeil View Post
Highway 1 is a boring, slow and dangerous ride. If you want the “PCH experience” without the pointless nightmare of taking it all the way across the state I recommend you take the 5 to Kettleman City, stay at the Quality Inn there overnight, the next day get on Highway 41 and take that to Atascadero where you’ll get on the 101. You’ll see some good scenery in Pismo Beach but after that the first leg of your drive on the 101 will be driving through boring places like Santa Maria and Buellton...it isn’t until you get down to Gaviota that it starts getting beautiful enough to be worth the downsides of not just taking the 5.
Highway one from San Francisco to Santa Cruz is beautiful. But traffic can be a problem on the weekends.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:59 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanONeil View Post
Hwy 1 is boring? You need to ride with us, sometime...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County