Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:03 PM

4,325 posts, read 6,290,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mock turtle View Post
I would be happy if my daughter can get into one of the UC schools, depending on what she decides to study. Are the UC schools considered very hard to get into generally? I'm trying to find what kind of universities students get accepted into from each high school. Found some info, but seems that only handful of students get accepted to the UC system from each school.
I graduated from Salinas High in the 90s and was accepted at every UC in which I applied, including Berkeley. One thing to consider is that the competition level will be lower, so it may not be as hard to stand out.

With that said, I personally wouldn't raise my kids in Salinas. As the city as a whole is not the most educated, you really don't have the same level of parental involvement or support in school funding. There were a handful of other smart/successful students in my class, but we tended to be the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:09 PM

353 posts, read 427,541 times
This ^ post brings up the question of is it better to be the smartest person in an overall "dumb" school or a mediocre student in an otherwise "smart" school when it comes to college applications?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:59 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,658,286 times
Having a dog, you might have better luck renting, going out 101 beginning at Harden Ranch, into Prunedale.

For rent prunedale ca - Trovit

Sometimes you can find ads for rentals on bulletin boards at church's, post office, grocery store, gas station, etc.

Best of Luck to y'all.....

Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
You are going to have to compromise if the the need is that immediate, especially if you are bringing a dog. That might require driving from further away.

Here is one that looks pretty good: https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5292966130.html

Maybe this one for one person:
https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5223076540.html

Or this:
https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5249850898.html

Derek

Old 10-31-2015, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 14,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
This ^ post brings up the question of is it better to be the smartest person in an overall "dumb" school or a mediocre student in an otherwise "smart" school when it comes to college applications?
This, I considered. When applying for high schools, my daughter didn't get accepted for her top choice school because she had a few B's, even though she scored 98-99 percentile on the standardized exams. Now she goes to a selective enrollment school but below her academic potential.

I'm anticipating, when she applies to college, she will probably do well on the college entrance exam. She needs to have very good GPA, and some extracurricular activities, and she should be OK.
She's motivated to have good grades because of what happened, but I wouldn't say she's highly driven. I know she does just enough to get good grades. She's still not sure of what field she wants to be in in the future.

I can imagine her being a mediocre student in a "smart" school. I wonder, if two students have the same SAT or ACT scores, but one with 3.5 GPA from "smart school", and another with 4.0 GPA from "not-so-smart" school, which one will be selected?

Old 10-31-2015, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 14,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitory View Post
In my experience I think property management firms tend to rip you off more and are not nearly as attentive as private landlords. Both of my rental properties have been from families that owned 1 building or 1 house and they were infinitely more attentive and helpful than my friends who used management companies. Still, YMMV and they certainly have more properties to offer.
I've been reading as many reviews on property managements as I can find, and I am keeping a list of which ones to avoid. There are some scary stories, some in Monterey, and some in Salinas. That said, the only time I got ripped off by a landlord was by a private owner. Then again, the private owner I have now is nothing but wonderful.

I may end up in a larger complex for the first year, unless I get lucky.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:23 PM

353 posts, read 427,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mock turtle View Post
I wonder, if two students have the same SAT or ACT scores, but one with 3.5 GPA from "smart school", and another with 4.0 GPA from "not-so-smart" school, which one will be selected?
My guess ... 4.0GPA

Purely a guess...

Old 11-04-2015, 07:43 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
My guess ... 4.0GPA

Purely a guess...
I'm thinking so also. The other thing to keep in mind is that those lessor rated schools are really trying hard to get more students into college. So, the ones in the honors classes will stand out. In addition, schools like Salinas High are what some consider underserved populations. As a result, there are special programs, grants and increased incentives to brings those kids into college.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County