Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 PM

26 posts, read 124,252 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying property in Arroyo Seco. I would love to hear anyone's experiences there.

Thanks

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippo57 View Post
We are thinking of buying property in Arroyo Seco. I would love to hear anyone's experiences there.

Thanks

Kevin
Kinda far, a little remote I believe the closest store, gas etc. is either Carmel Valley in the Village or Greenfield Calif.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 14,534 times
Default arroyo seco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippo57 View Post

Thanks

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I love Arroyo Seco. Wonderful weather. Crisp beautiful evenings. One of the 2 or 3 flee-flowing wild rivers left in California. For many years I'd go hike and swim there on my day off. I would reccomend it to anyone ... if you like beautiful scenery and country atmosphere. it is secluded, sometimes quite toasty in the summer. Falls (as in autumn) are out of this world! I have 2 and a half acres there I'm going to put up for sale shortly. It has a cabin and is just off Arroyo Seco road, near Piney Creek. If you are interested, you might let me know and I can give more details. MikeJMiller

Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,616 times
Well ... I'm not trying to sell any property there so, perhaps my opinion will be a little less biased ...

If we're talking about the Nino development there ... it is very nice. Those Nino homes are spectacular. If you're talking about old farm houses that were built in the 1930's well ... that's another story.

Keep in mind that the nearby river is often filled with migrant workers who are trying to cool off during the summer, fish, etc. The cars can back up all the way down the road ... it can get quite crowded, especially in weekends. You can often see cops cruizing by on those days, I assume, because there's sometimes trouble as well.

There are some beautiful properties there but, shopping is going to be the main inconvenience. Soledad has got some shopping and they're talking about putting a Walmart there but ... otherwise you have to drive to Salinas for major shopping malls, etc.

The whole area is heavily Hispanic with a lot of migrant workers so, something to keep in mind if that sort of thing bothers you. Soledad and Greenfield have some gang problems as well ... but not as bad as Salinas.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:15 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
It's beautiful out there. I wouldn't mind living out there. But the amount of people I saw in the river was definet trun-off. I didn't like seeing that.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:53 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
I used to hike & swim in the Arroyo Seco & loved the area. Seems it is a favorite area for people in Salinas to camp in during summer. Like others have commented, it is rather isolated & can get quite hot in summer.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 10,057 times
Looking for a nice seculeded place to live, Arroyo Seco is a hidden treasure.

No Cell service past the green bridge (Elm Street Bridge). No cable service, No DSL service. Nogal's is the only store in the Valley, (near the fire Station) The hours of service can change in the winter. Open most weekends.

For more information check out the 'Arroyo Seco Citizen's Association' web site. arroyoseco-ca.org

Limited access to the river. The people who live in Greenfield use the area near the Green Bridge for free, or they drive to Miller's Lodge (I think it is like $10) Nice area to swim and BBQ. Then there is the Government Camp at the end of Arroyo Seco road. This is where the gorge is located (fee to get in for day use and camping area) Fly's can be bothersome in the summer. The only pay phone in the Valley is past the fee booth.

This area is prone to Fires! 2008 was a bad fire year. The river in dry years can go seco (dry) 2007 there was no flow of water in the river for several months. Wells were drys.

The Valley in the Summer can be very hot! Winters can be pipe breaking cold.

There are things here that bite and sting. Rattle snakes are common, Lots of Black Widows spiders, scopions, wasps.. The rule of thumb look before you leap. There are lots of deer here, The road at sunset can be a hazzard.

Traffic on Arroyo Seco road in the Summer is busy. We get lots of visitors. Drinking and driving is a problem, as well as litter on the side of the road. Plus people going way over the speed limits.It always surprises me how thoughless people can be. Please be cool and enjoy in a peaceful way the Arroyo Seco.

Last edited by Jay Holiday; 01-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: made it easier to read.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 18,847 times
Smile looking for land

Mike, do you still have your land for sale? askyoung@comcast.net

Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 18,847 times
Kevin, My grandfather had some land in Freds Camp for many years. He lived to be 97 and loved every day there. I spent many summer in Arroyo Seco from 1943 and I'm still going up there in the summers. I just retired, thinking about living there myself. Have you had any luck finding land? askyoung@comcast.net

Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Ask-Young View Post
Kevin, My grandfather had some land in Freds Camp for many years. He lived to be 97 and loved every day there. I spent many summer in Arroyo Seco from 1943 and I'm still going up there in the summers. I just retired, thinking about living there myself. Have you had any luck finding land? askyoung@comcast.net
Lippo57 moved to Massachusetts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County