Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 PM

162 posts, read 181,470 times

Advertisements

the trip did not go well.
driver said it would take 3 hours from carmel valley road to the waterfall and back.
only stopped a very few times and it took much longer.
do you know of a small 6 inch say square book of good big sur pics as a souvenir?
thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Sorry to hear about the trip.

Here is one book I found which looks good, though a bit pricey: Big Sur to Big Basin: California's Dramatic Central Coast: Pamela Verduin Cain, Larry Ulrich: 9780811847063: Amazon.com: Books

Alternatively you could get this calendar which has some great images: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Sur-Coast-...ywords=big+sur

Derek

Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,726,988 times
How about taking 12 of your photos and making a calendar, Derek? I'd definitely buy one.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Sorry to hear about the trip.

Here is one book I found which looks good, though a bit pricey: Big Sur to Big Basin: California's Dramatic Central Coast: Pamela Verduin Cain, Larry Ulrich: 9780811847063: Amazon.com: Books

Alternatively you could get this calendar which has some great images: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Sur-Coast-...ywords=big+sur

Derek
hmm , 'bout time somebody made a new book!
$42 for a used one...
thanks

Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon125 View Post
hmm , 'bout time somebody made a new book!
$42 for a used one...
thanks
Actually you can buy it new for $29 on the author/photographer's site here: Larry Ulrich Fine Art Prints and Books -- Nature, Landscape and Travel Photographs

Old 11-17-2014, 05:39 PM

thanks - I will send him an email

Old 12-21-2014, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
Hello MtnSurfer I am writing you because I found your picture of the ocean in Big Sur and I will be going camping there in January and I was wondering if you would share your lens, settings tips and location with me. It would mean a lot to me! Any tips you could give me would be awesome.

Sincerely Pascal Walker
[email]Pascaldwalker@gmail.com[/email]
Canon 7D

Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal Walker View Post
Hello MtnSurfer I am writing you because I found your picture of the ocean in Big Sur and I will be going camping there in January and I was wondering if you would share your lens, settings tips and location with me. It would mean a lot to me! Any tips you could give me would be awesome.

Sincerely Pascal Walker
Pascaldwalker@gmail.com
Canon 7D
Hey, Pascal. I'd be happy to try and help. But your question is so broad I'm not quite sure where to even begin. I've actually been shooting the area for a number of years and use different settings just about every time I go out. I also use different lenses depending on on what I am shooting that day - sea life, birds, landscapes, macros, etc... Some days I shoot all these things.

Generally speaking in the Winter you may not be doing macros as much. I usually do more of those in the Spring with wildflowers. Birds and other sea life are always possibilities. Whales may be present not to mention seals, sea otters, etc... So longer zooms for those. For landscapes I normally shoot wide but sometimes go longer to captures more specific things like waves hitting rocks. etc...

If you could ask more specific questions about individual photos I've taken or locations you have in mind I could possibly give you more details.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
View detailed profiles of: