Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,579,960 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember Eight Kings restaurant in Bel Air Mall? I had my first chocolate mousse there at a birthday dinner as a kid. Also, IIRC, both Woolworth's and Walgreens originally had "open-air" (or as close to it as you can get indorrs) dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM

270 posts, read 505,581 times
AL's hot dogs and AL's 5 & 10 are still around. AL's hot dogs is close to University Boulevard, if I'm not mistaken, and AL's 5 & 10 is close to Spring Hill College. Yes, a lot of things have changed. I think one of the main problems is that people these days don't know what Mobile has to offer. I guess a lot of people think that it's just a little ghetto town close to Alabama's coastline. Around here at the college, I hear people say, "there's nothing to do here." a lot. That's very sad, but what can we do?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 17,122 times
I remember the Bellas Hess @ the corner of Airport Blvd and Azalea (Ca 1970). I grew up next to the water works on Moffat Rd near Shelton Beach Rd. We later moved to Druid Hills across the street from Municipal Park. I attended Forest Hill Elementary in the early 1970's. The original school was demolished in 2001. There used to be a Superputt on Moffat Rd @ Overlook across from the water works. I remember the gas station on the corner sold these paper luner modules (1970) modeled after the NASA design. I remember when Hurricane Camile hit the Gulf Coast. Our relatives from Mississippi came to stay. I remember having pictures taken with Santa Clause at Bel Aire Mall late 60's early 70's. My mom liked going to Gayfers. They had a cafeteria in there and a little pastry booth. My dad would take me down to the Fire Station in Creighten, I believe, and we would watch boxing matches there. I watched Jack Tillman fight there (Ca 1970-72). I remember the big snow we had around 1972. My brother played little league baseball by Municipal Park and by USA.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodleyroad View Post
I remember the Bellas Hess @ the corner of Airport Blvd and Azalea (Ca 1970).
OMG - Bellas Hess! The original hyper-mart. Had groceries, hardware, sporting good, auto supplies (you could buy & get tires installed) and I think they had their own gas station in front on Azalea Rd. I LOVED the "malt balls" (malted milk balls) from there!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodleyroad View Post
My dad would take me down to the Fire Station in Creighten, I believe, and we would watch boxing matches there.
Hey bro, that still happens. Although now they take place in random streets, and will usually end in a gunshot that kills someone.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM

491 posts, read 892,667 times
Was Bellas Hess on the corner where the old Brunos was at Airport and Azalea? I'm assuming that little no-name gas station on the corner next to Popeyes was part of Bellas Hess? How long was that store around....this was before my time. My oldest memories were the TG&Y and the DIP strip mall mentioned in the first post. This was before that area went down hill.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 AM

10 posts, read 73,014 times
I'll tell you another one you might have forgotten about. Anybody remember OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) located at Demetropolis and Highway 90? I worked there in High School before the big Wal Mart stores got started. It was the only place at that time that you could buy a washing machine, a sofa, some spark plugs for your lawnmower and have your brakes worked on your car.

Never forget that during the time of the Peyton murder that Whisenhunt came in to Otasco with his wife and put numerous items on lay-a-way and then was arrested...spooky!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 AM

Does anyone remember Gulf Distributors (I think that was the name) on Airport Blvd near the Rhodes Furniture store? I LOVED those catalog stores! I also remember when Wilson's opened on the old Bellas Hess property. Was there ever a Service Merchandise in Mobile?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

5,010 posts, read 9,211,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Was there ever a Service Merchandise in Mobile?

Yes on Azelea rd Where Party City and Goodwill is today.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 AM

491 posts, read 892,667 times
Wilsons became Service Merchandise and there was an OTASCO also at the far left end of the DIP shopping center across from Sherwood Forrest subdivision. I think the grocery store is a Mannings now. Years ago, left to right was OTASCO, Consumer Foods, there was some eyeglass place in between, maybe another small store or two, then TG&Y was at the end where Badcock Furniture is/was now. They also had a Vans photo kiosk in the parking lot (remember those)? The old do-it-yourself car was is still there but has significantly aged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area