Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,805,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
If there were a truly progressive party, I would vote for it. Until then, have to put up with Democrats.

Not sure I'm getting what you are trying to get across in the first statement. If you are speaking of our disagreement on the connotative meaning of "profession", it's not that big of a deal - you have your meaning and I have mine. If you mean to imply you are king of evolution and the rest like me are dumb, that is fine too.
Sorry, bit carried away.

However my point is that profession does have a quite historical meaning in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 PM

299 posts, read 938,619 times
Meanings and labels change constantly, and I don't see why using common vernacular that is easily recognizable and frequently used is a bad thing. Just my opinion.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM

68 posts, read 203,825 times
I was going to quote some person who sounded rather, how do I say, crabby, but I didn't want to get nailed again by the mods.

Let's just saying that digging up one article doesn't justify a suggestion that Mobile is an un-safe city. Things happen everywhere, in any city. There are safe parts of Mobile, even if unfortunate occurances do happen every now-and-then.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times
^^^ Very true.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:32 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,056 times
And we've had incidents at the Wal Mart up here as well, all occurring at night time.

Still, won't really effect my decision to come to mobile next summer.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 AM

22 posts, read 49,038 times
South has highest crime level in US because the highest amount of uneducated and poor people reside here.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmingTea View Post
South has highest crime level in US because the highest amount of uneducated and poor people reside here.
A bit of a generalization there, but it is true that the "South" does carry the highest crime rates as a general region within this nation.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
And we've had incidents at the Wal Mart up here as well, all occurring at night time.

Still, won't really effect my decision to come to mobile next summer.

Thats great, some forumers on this forum can be dramatic.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 PM

22 posts, read 47,811 times
I Didn't mean to start an uproar. I also went through the AP wringer, I am better for it, that is a surety. I went on to college in the "Accelerated Honors Curriculum", however I have found my niche as a lowly industrial mechanic. My point was simply that education is vital. The excuses are weak at best. Many of the "older" posters like me will remember the Carter years, gas lines, price controls, and 15% unemployment in my home town. The idea that kids face a tougher time now than ever in the past just doesn't hold water. Coddled babies is the problem. Japan has had the same financial problems as well, but their education system works and is TOUGH. It's a societal problem. Acceptance and understanding is good until it hurts the ones you are trying to help.
As for revisionist history, I am very well read. I'm not talking about the text books, but the works of history that are first hand accounts of those that lived during or made the history itself. What the children are taught today doesn't reflect the truth of "what happened" ,which is what history is, at least by Herodotus' standards.
At what point do we stop trying to make people "feel better" and start fixing the problems?
I know I sound haughty and holier-than-thou that is not my intent. I have real concerns and have watched our PC and "Progressive" systems drive us in reverse long enough. Real progress means moving forward, advancing the human condition, to me. None of that has happened in years. Crime is through the roof, education is through the floor and, society is in shambles in the name of progress.
*Get's off the soap box*
I apologize in advance for any offense, none was intended.

Last edited by TNTranspant; 10-09-2009 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Mobile Has 3rd Highest Murder Rate - Mobile Alabama - WKRG.com

3rd highest murder rate in the nation for 2008 among metropolitan areas?

Geez ... guess Katrina did bring alot of New Orleans residents over for good.

I know statistics can be misleading, and since it measures metropolitan areas it includes Prichard ... but still. That has got to improve.

Any current locals want to put their $.02 in on this? I know first-hand that Mobile is not dangerous in most areas of town, but talk about a statistic that could scare away newcomers.

All I can say is wow, you're an idiot

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area