Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,231,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karena View Post
What neighborhood do you live in. I would love to live in a integrated neighborhood on the Eastern Shores. I have black friends where I live now and I really enjoy them. I sometimes think I was born in the wrong colored skin.
I hear ya, I like the diversity myself! But then again Toronto is a melting pot and that is where I spent over 40 years.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM

432 posts, read 1,256,387 times
karena,

Daphne and Fairhope have many neighborhoods that are integrated. I believe that it all depends what you want of a community and how much money do you want to spend. Coming from California you will be able to buy much more house over here. And FYI, the property taxes in Alabama are about the lowest in the country. So even though insurance might be a bit more than in other places, taxes are very low.

This is a very eclectic area in the housing area. Closer to the bay, very expensive, higher insurance. One or 2 miles east of Fairhope, lots of subdvisions, farms, or individual lots...and much more reasonable. Intown Fairhope, super eclectic...anything from cottages to pricey condos(with stores below).
If you are into large subdivisions with golf and tennis clubs, there are several to choose from. Rock Creek is an example of a nice one that has several black families living there. There are homes from high 200's to over 2 million. Again, there is a great variety of neighborhoods in the Eastern Shore. So come on down!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM

272 posts, read 961,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Please do write the mayor.. I think the city should know what is going on with a city employee. It puts the city in a bad light. Blacks have been going to the beach for years so it wasn't like they were the first to visit it.
Good idea, people that deal with the general public need to be nice and friendly to everybody and have a mindset that is in the present, not making some wise racist remarks and getting people new to the area wondering if this is the norm, which it is not. I just recently moved to the area and I have not seen or heard anything like this, cause everybody I'm encountering are really pretty friendly to me, and I'm a good ol New York Yankee, people treat me like they've known me all my life and I'm having a ball. So don't let that knucklehead at the pier get ya down, there's always a few people everywhere and anywhere that are simply stuck on stupid.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 PM

52 posts, read 170,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
karena,

Daphne and Fairhope have many neighborhoods that are integrated. I believe that it all depends what you want of a community and how much money do you want to spend. Coming from California you will be able to buy much more house over here. And FYI, the property taxes in Alabama are about the lowest in the country. So even though insurance might be a bit more than in other places, taxes are very low.

This is a very eclectic area in the housing area. Closer to the bay, very expensive, higher insurance. One or 2 miles east of Fairhope, lots of subdvisions, farms, or individual lots...and much more reasonable. Intown Fairhope, super eclectic...anything from cottages to pricey condos(with stores below).
If you are into large subdivisions with golf and tennis clubs, there are several to choose from. Rock Creek is an example of a nice one that has several black families living there. There are homes from high 200's to over 2 million. Again, there is a great variety of neighborhoods in the Eastern Shore. So come on down!
Thank you. I really enjoy your posts. You have made Fairhope come alive for me.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 AM

68 posts, read 203,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
PS I'm first generation Canadian born to Irish and Danish parents, and now living in the US, so who knows what I would be called :-).
Canadarisherican perhaps?

Yeah, one of my black buddies hates to be called African American. He says he's never been to Africa, and neither have his parents, so why is he African.

Hell, I have a little bit of English, German, Irish, and maybe French, and my children will be half Japanese. Talk about confusing.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times
Life would be more fun if we started saying beige and brown. White and black is getting old.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 PM

68 posts, read 203,825 times
Don't forget....maybe...tan and amber.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,782,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalladream View Post
Don't forget....maybe...tan and amber.
I like my beer interracial. Pour me half an amber on top of half of some dark Guiness. It's great on an autumn day.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:10 AM

272 posts, read 961,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I like my beer interracial. Pour me half an amber on top of half of some dark Guiness. It's great on an autumn day.
I'll have to try that

Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 AM

168 posts, read 518,515 times
@adventuregurl: I DO VERY MUCH love it on the Eastern Shore. It is one of the prettiest areas in the South, by far. It's a quiet, safe, and inspiring area; and it attracts different people for these same reasons.

@karena: I live in Lake Forest, which is a more established neighborhood in Daphne. You will get A LOT MORE house for your money in Alabama than you would in California, so come on over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area