Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 05:45 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That really depends on what you define as Silverhill

If you mean the Town of Silverhill, then sure. Its 1 square mile and in the middle of no where,

But if the person posting just means Silverhill zipcodes or planning district, there are massive Subdivisions being built on HWY 104(the highway running through the middle of it) that fall within that range.

There was a vote on Feb 15th, that split it and now calls it the "East Fairhope" district. It passed with 85%, but I doubt anything has changed for someone looking for a place to live, it would probably still be zoned as Silverhill on any realtor site until county assessments in May.
Uwww I forgot about that so in 10 years it could be another story. The problem is that Baldwin's population is larger than Montgomery's but doesn't have the infrastructure to support to smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 06:35 AM

107 posts, read 104,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Springvalley is iffy I wouldn't recommend.

Terrace Hills and Skyland Park Areas are closer to hiking trails and kayaking

Terrace Hills ,Is pretty quite and you won't have to deal with a lot of traffic.

Skyland Park really doesn't have any traffic issues either.The traffic flows pretty nicely and the neighborhoods in that community are pretty tight nit.

Off Dawes and wes of the airport is more rural in nature but it's far from kayaking and etc. The other problem is that when you venture out back into Mobile. You will be in some of the most heavily trafficked areas though.

Irvington very quite has great interstate access but as you mentioned it is isolated.

Rolling Acres is in a nice area. Cottage Hill rd does have a lot of traffic but there are ways to avoid it if need be.The traffic is only heavy during certain hours of course.

Milkhouse is really nice we don't live to far from it and we pass through it all the time. It's close to a lot of grocery stores and other things.Hillcrest rd and Cottage Hill has traffic but like I said it's only during certain hours. My wife and I wish they would hurry up and build that Nevius rd Spur that will go to Sollie rd.

Semmes is growing fast but there isn't any issues regarding traffic tbh.

Foley has a theme park and a new almost finished indoor waterpark. It's nice from my perspective driving through it. There are tons of places to eat but the traffic is a nightmare. It is connected to Alabama's largest tourist magnets.

Silverhill is very quiet and rural basically no traffic really pretty much like Irvington.
Thank you so much. I was reading about police stops off Azalea Rd and arrests being made. Is that farther north?
Sounds like we can't go wrong around W. Mobile, other than distance to kayaking and beach. What about Big Creek Lake? Is it closed?

Also, we saw a house off of Japonica Lane. The houses seem older, but nice. Is that a good area?
Our kids mentioned Satsuma, Saraland, Creola, but didn't offer much info about the areas. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ga2Ms; 03-30-2022 at 06:51 AM..

Old 03-30-2022, 08:30 AM

865 posts, read 587,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga2Ms View Post
Thank you so much. I was reading about police stops off Azalea Rd and arrests being made. Is that farther north?
Sounds like we can't go wrong around W. Mobile, other than distance to kayaking and beach. What about Big Creek Lake? Is it closed?

Also, we saw a house off of Japonica Lane. The houses seem older, but nice. Is that a good area?
Our kids mentioned Satsuma, Saraland, Creola, but didn't offer much info about the areas. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

The only thing you can do at Big Creek Lake is fish, everything else is off limits as the lake is the main source of drinking water for the area

Satsuma, Saraland, and Creola are the Northern Suburbs. All 3 I would consider Middle to Upper-Middle Class suburbs. An equivalent or higher to West Mobile. Richer than Irvington, Theodore, Semmes, and Tillmans Corner

Old 03-30-2022, 11:46 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Uwww I forgot about that so in 10 years it could be another story. The problem is that Baldwin's population is larger than Montgomery's but doesn't have the infrastructure to support to smh.
And they dont plan to fix it either.

none of the people running for County Commissioner plan to do anything about it other than "stop the growth" Which is about the most horrible thing I ever heard. They just passed a new Subdivision ordinance in September, and they are already back tracking on it and simply putting moratoriums in place.

There are like 20,000 homes/condos/townhouses/apartments approved to be built right now that wouldnt fall under the moratoriums. So doing "nothing" means a horrible infrastructure in 2 or 3 years. when everything is done. Allowing those new subdivisions in under the new ordinance would have meant resurface and widened roads paid for by the developers, money allocated to the school system, and red lights. service roads for the shopping districts if possible. but I dont think the already approved subdivisions and developments put in place before the September vote are required to do any of that.

people who already live on 104 say its a nightmare. Imagine when the Publix is up on that corner and other stores start to pop up on that road as it becomes downtown "East Fairhope".

Last edited by dsjj251; 03-30-2022 at 12:14 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
The only thing you can do at Big Creek Lake is fish, everything else is off limits as the lake is the main source of drinking water for the area

Satsuma, Saraland, and Creola are the Northern Suburbs. All 3 I would consider Middle to Upper-Middle Class suburbs. An equivalent or higher to West Mobile. Richer than Irvington, Theodore, Semmes, and Tillmans Corner
I thought kayaks were allowed at Big Creek.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I thought kayaks were allowed at Big Creek.
They probably are as I didn’t see “no kayaking” among the rules, I know there’s a number you can call on their website to make sure what is and isn’t okay

Old 03-30-2022, 09:39 PM

Old 03-30-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I haven't heard anything negative happen in that area

Old 03-31-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
I haven't heard anything negative happen in that area
Thanks. It is closer than we were looking, but my wife liked a house there. We keep hearing how Baldwin is where we should go, but the traffic there is getting rough, too.
It's difficult to discern the crime stats around Mobile. Azalea Rd and Cottage Hill appear to be convenient, so I appreciate any insight regarding safety and traffic issues.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Springvalley is iffy I wouldn't recommend.

Terrace Hills and Skyland Park Areas are closer to hiking trails and kayaking

Terrace Hills ,Is pretty quite and you won't have to deal with a lot of traffic.

Skyland Park really doesn't have any traffic issues either.The traffic flows pretty nicely and the neighborhoods in that community are pretty tight nit.

Off Dawes and wes of the airport is more rural in nature but it's far from kayaking and etc. The other problem is that when you venture out back into Mobile. You will be in some of the most heavily trafficked areas though.

Irvington very quite has great interstate access but as you mentioned it is isolated.

Rolling Acres is in a nice area. Cottage Hill rd does have a lot of traffic but there are ways to avoid it if need be.The traffic is only heavy during certain hours of course.

Milkhouse is really nice we don't live to far from it and we pass through it all the time. It's close to a lot of grocery stores and other things.Hillcrest rd and Cottage Hill has traffic but like I said it's only during certain hours. My wife and I wish they would hurry up and build that Nevius rd Spur that will go to Sollie rd.

Semmes is growing fast but there isn't any issues regarding traffic tbh.

Foley has a theme park and a new almost finished indoor waterpark. It's nice from my perspective driving through it. There are tons of places to eat but the traffic is a nightmare. It is connected to Alabama's largest tourist magnets.

Silverhill is very quiet and rural basically no traffic really pretty much like Irvington.
I really appreciate the help. We saw a house on Shiloh Rd. The neighborhood looks nice, similar to where we are now. Is there much new subdivision construction in the area? Should we expect increasing traffic and congestion in the next 5 years? We hope to be able to go for a bike ride or run from the house without having to worry so much about excessive traffic.
The Milkhouse area has very reasonable housing prices. That's the other area my wife likes. Our kids are in Spanish Fort, so we want to stay within 30-45 minutes drive from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area