Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,120,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Broken bones are unfortunately a risk in this sport, Along with a lot of other nasty injuries. Silva was not the first to have this happen, The pain must have been unimaginable, And I hope he gets well soon. Might be time to think about calling it a day though.
i agree, i hope he retires. takes a desk job. im sure dana can find him a place to fit in much like he did chuck liddell.

there is always this though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trhb2JfCnlc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,340,538 times
If Silva were five years younger, I'd say taking a shot at a comeback would be worth it. But with so much of his career and all of his unbelievable accomplishments behind him, it just doesn't make much sense. He's never going to beat Chris Weidman.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,368,340 times
it is a weird time for the UFC with both Anderson Silva and GSP gone they really have no brand guy that can move PPV's and sell out buildings just by being on the card like those two could..

It will be interesting to see how Dana and the UFC deal with life after two of the best pound for pound fighters are gone and retired now... Then again it is a great time for the lesser know up and coming people in professional MMA to get their chance to be the next Silva or GSP

Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
it is a weird time for the UFC with both Anderson Silva and GSP gone they really have no brand guy that can move PPV's and sell out buildings just by being on the card like those two could..

It will be interesting to see how Dana and the UFC deal with life after two of the best pound for pound fighters are gone and retired now... Then again it is a great time for the lesser know up and coming people in professional MMA to get their chance to be the next Silva or GSP
i agree to an extent. it just opens up the brand for guys like cain, jones and the wide man to spread their brand.

the little guys are making a run for notoriety also, guys like pettis and aldo. they are not PPV sellers like gsp/silva BUT now the ufc can brand them a bit more.

oh and dont for get about an olympic judoka breaking arms in the womens division.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,340,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i agree to an extent. it just opens up the brand for guys like cain, jones and the wide man to spread their brand.

the little guys are making a run for notoriety also, guys like pettis and aldo. they are not PPV sellers like gsp/silva BUT now the ufc can brand them a bit more.

oh and dont for get about an olympic judoka breaking arms in the womens division.
I think you're right about Rousey, and I think she could really put women's MMA on the map. It's already on the map, but she has the potential to be a mega-star.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,267,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

as an MMA fan, I disagree. but I see how your point holds true with the more "casual" viewer.

for me, as a "real" fan, I think that this will make for better PPV events. typically, AS and GSP PPVs were based on the Anderson Silva and the GSP name. IMHO, these were rarely, if ever, good fights. that is to say, I would rarely, if ever, buy a PPV with these guys at the top of the card because 1) the rest of the card was weak, and 2) the result of the main event was already a forgone conclusion. GSP is going to jab, Superman punch, takedown, out-position his opponent on the ground for 5 rounds. and Anderson Silva fights had gotten to the point where it was Anderson Silva vs. Whoever's about to get KTFO.

with those two quasi-retired, there is at least some question as to whether the new champions will hold their titles. also, with the current champions lacking those two's name recognition, hopefully the UFC will feel compelled to stack the cards a little more.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 AM

833 posts, read 1,201,321 times
I don't know. Will cops stop working, because a few get killed a year? Will people stop signing up to join the military, because people get killed?

Amazing what fuss people make, over folks making millions and breaking a bone. You could smash my leg for all the money silva makes.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,109,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
I don't know. Will cops stop working, because a few get killed a year? Will people stop signing up to join the military, because people get killed?

Amazing what fuss people make, over folks making millions and breaking a bone. You could smash my leg for all the money silva makes.
will a cop stop working if he receives a debilitating injury?? (yes).. will a military officer be honorably discharged if he receives a debilitating injury?? (yes)

the injury with his age might make him think twice.

tiddays

Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,419,347 times
No, I think leg kicks will stay. What happened to Silva was the exception, not the rule.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
will a cop stop working if he receives a debilitating injury?? (yes).. will a military officer be honorably discharged if he receives a debilitating injury?? (yes)

the injury with his age might make him think twice.

tiddays
clearly you didnt understand. yes if a cop gets a debilitating injury HE will stop working, BUT the question was not about the individual but the entirety of cops or military or what not as a collective. in other words, if A cop gets a debilitating injury, the rest of cops are not going to stop doing their job because of the possibility they might be subject to the same injury.

mma fighters are NOT going to stop utilizing leg kicks, nor will they be banned because a couple of people have happened to break their legs while kicking. thats just dumb.

a boxers break hands (or get "boxers fractures") somewhat regularly, they dont stop throwing bombs right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)