Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times

Advertisements

great wrestlers make great judokas.
i personally dont want to roll on the ground with someone with a knife or a gun while i try to do a pin, arm bar or choke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
great wrestlers make great judokas.
i personally dont want to roll on the ground with someone with a knife or a gun while i try to do a pin, arm bar or choke.
Sambo which is probably the best form of self-defense will teach scenarios with guns and knifes. You would normally disable the gun or knife while standing, but the motion will be carried to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZgcvkiFbXs

Sambo Steve is really good at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKnKpKyYBYQ

Here is one for Judo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL6Gzun-ZRI

Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yeah just for fun because this stuff is really sort of silly.

1. Wrestler all day, Judo is all about the Gi and clinching.. "Judo is just wrestling with a gi and subs"
2. Tie - Wrestler needs to avoid the clinch, shoot from far...but 1 stuffed takedown and clinch = wrestler getting thrown like a sack of potatoes.
3. MMA match...
Pride Rules - Judo slight advantage
UFC Rules - Wrestler major advantage

4. Judo advantage and win, assuming they have a shirt/jacket on. The Wrestler won't be able to shoot effectively because they will busy their knees and get a soccer kick to the face.
Well maybe I wasn't clear. I specifically put greco/roman wrestling in because there's no touching of the legs allowed. Basically it all upper body work (no shooting allowed) and it's emphasis on throws. I'm just interested in a comparision of these two styles because of some similar rules and goals they have. Also I'm taking into consideration that greco/roman was historically used to train troops for war in ancient times. So there must be some street applications with this art form. Maybe???

And yes. My question might seem silly to most folk. But really I'm just looking for analysis, comparision, and thoughts here. Just take the question for a fun thought exersice.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Sambo which is probably the best form of self-defense will teach scenarios with guns and knifes. You would normally disable the gun or knife while standing, but the motion will be carried to the ground.

Here is one for Judo:

Cool. Thanks for the videos. To be honest I know next to nothing about sambo and it's overall goal. And in my area there really isn't that many schools to learn the art.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:04 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Cool. Thanks for the videos. To be honest I know next to nothing about sambo and it's overall goal. And in my area there really isn't that many schools to learn the art.
It's not popular in the US.

But Sambo literally means Self-Defense without weapons in Russian "SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya".

It's not so much an art, but a composition of every art. It's the closest thing to real fighting.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,836 times
Quote:
It's not popular in the US.

But Sambo literally means Self-Defense without weapons in Russian "SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya".

It's not so much an art, but a composition of every art. It's the closest thing to real fighting.
sambo is very nice.
i mean fedor basically trained in NOTHING but sambo, a mix of judo, wrestling, kickboxing and such.

ive worked with reilly bodycomb a couple of times (im not a big fan of his though) and his sambo is very good stuff.
he shows some good and bad of sambo in self defense in this highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjjjUW063vI

the naga match (kani basami) to heel hook was here in houston. was vry interesting to see as kani basami is not legal in most sport environments.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,836 times
Quote:
Just for fun. What are your thoughts on if a high level judo player faced a high level greco/roman wrestler in....

1. A grappling match no gi
2. A grappling match gi
3. A MMA match. Let say striking ablity are equal.
4. A street fight/bar fight.
its hard ot answer as it would depend on the players and the rules on all the sport events questioned. in a street fight id have to go judoka over wrestler as was stated before in this thread.

i would say for grins,
1) wrestler
2) judoka
3) judoka but would depend on rules and cage/ring.
4) judoka

Quote:
Yeah just for fun because this stuff is really sort of silly.

1. Wrestler all day, Judo is all about the Gi and clinching.. "Judo is just wrestling with a gi and subs"
2. Tie - Wrestler needs to avoid the clinch, shoot from far...but 1 stuffed takedown and clinch = wrestler getting thrown like a sack of potatoes.
3. MMA match...
Pride Rules - Judo slight advantage
UFC Rules - Wrestler major advantage

4. Judo advantage, assuming they have a shirt/jacket on. The Wrestler won't be able to shoot effectively because they will break their knees and get a soccer kick to the face. But honestly the wrestler could win without a low shot...think crotch shot.

Grappling match exhibit A

Ricardo Raphaël vs #3 Judo guy in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=btkrDUtJDPU
the video is a bit misleading in that hongo was NEVER ranked #3 in japan, and i believe the guy even says he was ranked #2 in the world or something. curious how you can be ranked #3 in a country and #2 in the world. wouldnt that mean he would be #2 at least in japan?

2nd, this was past hongos prime, and in his prime hongo was never an olympic caliber judoka. in addition this was a nmogi-bjj-sub grappling match. you can clearly see the issue with hongo is the judo rules he has been forced to eat for decades. things like turning to your belly, and knees. not to get stuck in a hold down. im not sure he really even understood the rules from watching that video and another video.

honestly i wish we had seen more of mcmann vs ronda. thats 2 olympic medalists, one wrestling, one judo. the highest form of their respective sports and they reached all but the very best in the world. what little we saw was ronda controlling.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:

Here is one for Judo:

so far i have refrained from saying it, but there is a big difference from typing on CDF with a bag of potato chips and a beer --and having a 38 shoved up your nose. nice film clips as long as you and i watch the movie-- we will be just fine.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Well maybe I wasn't clear. I specifically put greco/roman wrestling in because there's no touching of the legs allowed. Basically it all upper body work (no shooting allowed) and it's emphasis on throws. I'm just interested in a comparision of these two styles because of some similar rules and goals they have. Also I'm taking into consideration that greco/roman was historically used to train troops for war in ancient times. So there must be some street applications with this art form. Maybe???

And yes. My question might seem silly to most folk. But really I'm just looking for analysis, comparision, and thoughts here. Just take the question for a fun thought exersice.
I thought Greco Roman came from some form of French Carnival wrestling. Not sure why they call it greco roman.

Even if it was for the ancient battle field, why allow leg attacks to the legs? Just not arms to the legs because that requires that you bend over.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I thought Greco Roman came from some form of French Carnival wrestling. Not sure why they call it greco roman.

Even if it was for the ancient battle field, why allow leg attacks to the legs? Just not arms to the legs because that requires that you bend over.
Actually I think your right.

Greco-Roman wrestling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greek wrestling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)