Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Weidman wasn't even that impressive. He knocked out an Anderson who was showboating to the extreme. (ie; chin up, hands to his hands, sticking his face to him, etc) Weidman did what any fighter could do given the circumstances. This whole fight is tainted. I mean even the reporters are like he threw that fight. Go read the net, everyone is stating the Silva was not interested in the fight, he threw it, it was rigged, etc. Either way you look at it, Weidman got screwed. I want Silva to go on to LWH.

Anderson is not my hero. I don't worship any humans. He also doesn't care for a rematch and if this happens Wiedman's reign will always be tainted.
I can't believe anyone believes Silva is a hero. He's a smug a-hole. He did this crap to the 10th degree in his fight against Maia in Saudi Arabia. He acts all humble and pretends he doesn't know English when he does. No questioning he's one of the best ever but he's also one of the biggest a-holes in UFC history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 29,570 times
Cool Yep, Silva didn't care for this fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDWJEWVhANg

Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,258 times
Anderson is shot and disinterested. His reflexes have slowed tremendously. He's been like this for a few years now. This is what happens when you turn 38.

Nobody can honestly say that's Weidman's standup was impressive. Look at the combination that floored Silva. Look at that second right hand. What the hell was that?

And yes, Silva was caught with a left hook, but he made the mistake of leaning back right into it with his hands down.

If he would have only had his hand up, he would have blocked it.

I'll say Silva was shot, but I can also see where people are coming from when they are saying he threw the fight. He may not have intentionally threw the fight, but he was definitely disinterested.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Anderson Silva is still one of the greatest <------scratch that, he is the greatest to fight in the octagon period. So what if he's arrogant most of the greats in any profession are; sports, business, military, etc...isn't that why the rest of the world don't like the US. It is however the downfall of so many. Silva is the reason why so many watched the sport just to see him get KO'd eventually. Arrogance makes the sport fun in so many ways, I mean who hasn't showboated or talked *ish. I don't know maybe I root for villains.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Lol @ conspiracies! If Silva intended to throw the fight, why didn't he just tap to the heel hook attempt? Silva was clearly frustrated after Weidman took him down in the first round (you could see it on his face) and then he started the clowning, which was a failed attempt to bait Weidman. Imo he should have just lowered his hands slightly if he wanted to bait Weidman, or better yet gone on the offensive. The fact that Silva was successful with this "clowning" against Maia, Griffin, & Bonnar allowed Weidman's trainers to prepare Weidman to deal with it. Silva did very little (if any) damage to Weidman.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Stop embarrassing yourselves, for Christ's sake. This is absolutely pathetic. Silva did what he has done in many fights. This is absolutely nothing new. You're just whining and rationalizing because he finally tried it against the wrong person. That does nothing to take away from his legacy. Can you comprehend that? He may win the rematch, he may not, but that won't change the fact that he got frustrated very quickly in the fight last night and lost to the better fighter on that night. If Weidman wins the rematch, then most rational people will probably conclude that Weidman is simply the better fighter. The rest of you will search for further excuses.

True story.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Lol @ conspiracies! If Silva intended to throw the fight, why didn't he just tap to the heel hook attempt? Silva was clearly frustrated after Weidman took him down in the first round (you could see it on his face) and then he started the clowning, which was a failed attempt to bait Weidman. Imo he should have just lowered his hands slightly if he wanted to bait Weidman, or better yet gone on the offensive. The fact that Silva was successful with this "clowning" against Maia, Griffin, & Bonnar allowed Weidman's trainers to prepare Weidman to deal with it. Silva did very little (if any) damage to Weidman.
Dude, he took him down once. Chael took him down for 5 rounds. Boxers have thrown fights away so how is this a conspiracy?

Weidman's win will be shrouded with this "conspiracy". I am not sure that is the kind of win that Weidman wants.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Dude, he took him down once. Chael took him down for 5 rounds. Boxers have thrown fights away so how is this a conspiracy?

Weidman's win will be shrouded with this "conspiracy". I am not sure that is the kind of win that Weidman wants.
Chris took him down and dominated the entire 1st round. He shot 1 time in the 2nd and Anderson got caught, lights out. Now if you want to bring boxing into this with boxers throwing fights, I put this more along the lines of manny getting KTFO vs Marquez. Nothing was thrown, Anderson tries to clown all his opponents. He likes to bait them in and pop. Look at the Griffen and bonner fights. He tried it with Maia but Damien didn't bite either.

Chris wanted to beat Anderson, he wanted to finish Anderson. He did. He's not disappointed in any way shape or form, he dominated the fight from the opening bell till the Anderson hugged herbs leg (which Chris said several times he wanted to make Anderson do)

Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Chris took him down and dominated the entire 1st round. He shot 1 time in the 2nd and Anderson got caught, lights out. Now if you want to bring boxing into this with boxers throwing fights, I put this more along the lines of manny getting KTFO vs Marquez. Nothing was thrown, Anderson tries to clown all his opponents. He likes to bait them in and pop. Look at the Griffen and bonner fights. He tried it with Maia but Damien didn't bite either.

Chris wanted to beat Anderson, he wanted to finish Anderson. He did. He's not disappointed in any way shape or form, he dominated the fight from the opening bell till the Anderson hugged herbs leg (which Chris said several times he wanted to make Anderson do)
Not sure what fight you saw but Chris DID NOT dominate the fight. Chael Sonnen vs Silva #1. In that fight, Chael dominated Silva. Chael manhandled Silva. Chris did not manhandle Silva. Silva lost due to his antic. Right before getting knocked out, he closed his eyes and started to wobble making it seem that Chris fazed him. Soon after that, Chris landed the knockout punch.

Also, Chris landed only 16 strikes; Silva landed only 14 strikes (how did Chris dominated??). He took him down once in the 1st with Silva escaping and working from the ground. Silva avoided a heel lock. Chris couldn't take Silva down in the 2nd round.

Results | UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman

Like TheRyu stated, this is the worst possible way for Weidman to win since there is no credibility to that belt all thanks to Silva;s antics. If you go to MMA or news comment sections people are also stating the he thew it or was fighting stupid. Even on the Post press conference, a reported made a comment about the fight being fixed, etc. silva was not interested in the fight, he wanted to lose, he threw it away, etc...

Last edited by LifeSurfer; 07-08-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
This is a massive black eye for UFC. Its up there with the cancellation of UFC 152 (Think its 152) last summer. If UFC wants to be taken seriously as a major sport, you can't have your premier champion not give a single F in a title fight. If the public thinks he threw the fight, lost on purpose, etc. thats money people spent to see a premier fight and thats not what they got.

Dana White had to cover up this joke of a fight in the conference. No way he believes what he said. I'm gonna listen to the next Joe Rogan podcast to see what he thinks about the fight.

Silva's legacy has taken a massive hit IMO. The longest winning streak in UFC history ends like this? If I'm UFC, I'm praying GSP is able to keep winning so they have a true champion hold that streak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)