Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
This is my cultural map of Missouri that I finally drew. Forgive the bad handwriting...this was done with a touchpad and I don't have an operational mouse currently. Double click on it for a MUCH bigger view.
Ste. Genevieve and Perryville along the Mississippi are almost as Midwestern as Iowa. Other than those points not a terrible map.

Below is a map that I've drawn only for SE Missouri. This is because this is the only part of the state that I've lived in for any real length of time. Above the Yellow line is nearly 100% Midwestern. Between the Yellow and Green line is between 99% and 50% Midwestern, Below the Green Line is 99% to 50% Southern, and below the Red Line is nearly 100% Southern.
Attached Thumbnails
My map of Midwest/South in Missouri!-missouri.gif  

Old 10-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Ste. Genevieve and Perryville along the Mississippi are almost as Midwestern as Iowa. Other than those points not a terrible map.

Below is a map that I've drawn only for SE Missouri. This is because this is the only part of the state that I've lived in for any real length of time. Above the Yellow line is nearly 100% Midwestern. Between the Yellow and Green line is between 99% and 50% Midwestern, Below the Green Line is 99% to 50% Southern, and below the Red Line is nearly 100% Southern.
Alright...you know the region better than me and I generally see you as a credible person, so I'll believe you

Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,369 times
Quote:
Alright...you know the region better than me and I generally see you as a credible person, so I'll believe you
Well I appreciate that . Yeah I didn't want to extend my map any further due to lack of experience (other than the Rolla area). But I didn't want to leave a gap either.

I tried to be objective as possible but since I feel that I'm a southerner rather than a midwesterner it may be a tick too far north. Maybe KSHE will scold me we will see . Where I grew up is between the yellow and the green line in Cape County. Where the green line meets the Mississippi River splits Cape Girardeau city in half.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
This is my cultural map of Missouri that I finally drew. Forgive the bad handwriting...this was done with a touchpad and I don't have an operational mouse currently. Double click on it for a MUCH bigger view.
I'm sorry but Ste Gen county, all of the Mississippi Hills region, actually, is Midwestern, not part of the Mid South.
ETA: sorry, as soon as I read the post, I replied, I see that everyone got to this before me, lol.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Well I appreciate that . Yeah I didn't want to extend my map any further due to lack of experience (other than the Rolla area). But I didn't want to leave a gap either.

I tried to be objective as possible but since I feel that I'm a southerner rather than a midwesterner it may be a tick too far north. Maybe KSHE will scold me we will see . Where I grew up is between the yellow and the green line in Cape County. Where the green line meets the Mississippi River splits Cape Girardeau city in half.
Lol, its not a bad map at all, the only thing I see that I might disagree with is the yellow line in St Francois county, that part of the county has never struck me as particulaly southern at all.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM

543 posts, read 855,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lol, its not a bad map at all, the only thing I see that I might disagree with is the yellow line in St Francois county, that part of the county has never struck me as particulaly southern at all.
Ive been in that county a number of times. It's not fully midwestern when you get to the western, and SW parts of the county. It does have someone a bit of upland south feel. I mean like somewhere in West Virgnia. Not a lot but you can begin to see subtle changes.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Ive been in that county a number of times. It's not fully midwestern when you get to the western, and SW parts of the county. It does have someone a bit of upland south feel. I mean like somewhere in West Virgnia. Not a lot but you can begin to see subtle changes.
I've been there tons, I have family there, every time I go to the Bluff from Ste Gen I drive 32 to 67, so I have literally been through there thousands of times, it has never struck me as Southern at all, as I said, I dont see any Southerness in that area til you get to Cherokee Pass, and then it becomes pretty Southern all at once.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I've been there tons, I have family there, every time I go to the Bluff from Ste Gen I drive 32 to 67, so I have literally been through there thousands of times, it has never struck me as Southern at all, as I said, I dont see any Southerness in that area til you get to Cherokee Pass, and then it becomes pretty Southern all at once.
Yes, Fredericktown area is southern wont disagree there, but I wouldn't lable all of St. Francois county 100 percent Midwestern.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Yes, Fredericktown area is southern wont disagree there, but I wouldn't lable all of St. Francois county 100 percent Midwestern.
Actually, Ftown is just plain redneck.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, Ftown is just plain redneck.
LOL. Do you see a lot of Confederate battle Flags around there?

Btw have you ever seen someone flying the Missouri Confederate battle flag aka the Roman Cross flag before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri