Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:10 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
WE LOVE MINNESOTA!! What's there not to love? Unless you've lived elsewhere for 5+ years you have no idea how great this place is (or maybe you're just wise and do already know that). I used to think Minnesota was for the birds but after being out for 6.5 years and returning this place is paradise. I lived in a nice area too (Scottsdale, AZ) so I can say that Minneapolis area is one of the greatest places in this country.

Pleasant people (I don't need to be your best friend or even talk to you ever agin but I do like happy, pleasant people out and about), No sales tax on most food or clothes, cheaper organic/local/delicious food, better weather (varies), many NICE parks, great malls, solid transportation, scenic...
What's not to love? The Winter!

I see you're still in Scottsdale, AZ. Did you visit Minnesota in the summer or winter? I've lived in the Twin Cities all my life and I'm fed up with the long, cold, and snowy winters. The winters aren't as bad as they used to be in the past 18 years. Although last winter was a little worse, but no where near as bad it was 20 to 60 years ago. When I was growing up we NEVER had thunderstorms in the winter months. Thunderstorms occur rarely, but sometimes in the winters now. We don't get the solid week to a week and a half in February where the high is -5 and the low is -20. The very cold weather only lasts 1 - 3 days, then a break from it.

The snow plowing is drastically better in the metro than outstate, except for the core cities, which isn't as good as the suburbs. I remember when Governor Pawlenty came up with the idea to plow the metro freeways over 3 days instead of clearing most of the snow in 1 day to save money. That idea flew like a lead balloon! It was quickly forgotten and people pretended that the idea was ever proposed. I still remember the proposal to reduce the quality of snow plowing to save money.

Maybe you could snowbird and have the best from Arizona in the winter and Minnesota in the summer. Arizona is like sticking your head inside a hot oven all summer, unless you hunker down inside in the AC all summer. Just like hunkering down inside all winter in Minnesota, while putting up with 'cabin fever'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
And here is a First for me. The Long Drive-in in Long Prairie MN is showing tonight's Vikings vs Green Bay on the 80 foot screen. Thanks to the conversion to Digital projection they are able to broadcast events such as this!! Wish I'd have know it was being shown before today, I certainly would have made the hour drive. I LOVE this, and only in MN do you see it.
The Kicker: Admission is free.

From the drive-in's site:

Long Drive In Theatre - Long Prairie MN - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota