Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:32 PM

664 posts, read 1,948,339 times

Advertisements

I also was going to ask you if yuo have thoght about the military. The pay in the beginning is peanuts but they give you a place to live and 3 hot meals a day!! It's worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:35 PM

8 posts, read 25,778 times
I've found an old friend who has helped me strategize this endeavor.

The deal is that I would be moving there with limited funds, at least enough for a deposit and first months rent for an apartment I could find within the budget. It's not much, but it would at least give me a one month grace period just in case I don't already have a job lined up when I go.

The information I've gathered here, though, is still very much invaluable to me and would still help me very much if the situation were to be of the worst. I would still need the shelter and could still use the phone number given to me, so I appreciate very much that I have been given any of the support I've gained here.

I can't go into the military. I've contemplated it for a long time and on several occasions have talked to a recruiter. There are complications with my knee that apparently can not be corrected, which they said would not enable me a viable candidate for enlistment. There is also a minor issue with my back which was given the same reason for not being so.

I should be able to leave by may or at least june. I wish it could be sooner; it's both emotionally and physically stressing on me being here. It's just hard to be here at all, but at least I have a better chance now that I've talked to everyone here and my old friend.

Thank you for your concern marmac. I really appreciate your sincerity. I appreciate everybody's sincerity here. It means a lot to me that I can have this opportunity to speak with anyone about this and finally get it resolved.

Thank you all for giving me hope and making me feel wanted. I won't give up. If there's anything else anybody may think could help, it would be much appreciated.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM

150 posts, read 406,137 times
Endless, it sounds like you have some pretty dire problems with the people in your life right now. I understand how things cannot always go smoothly with family and friends. Moving may not be the answer. There are places where you are that can help. Have you called a local crisis line? They can direct you as to where you can go to get the best help.

Running away isn't the answer. But if you need someone to just be a friend to listen to you and help you to understand, you can come here. Not all of Minnesota is judgemental.

Susie

Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM

I'm glad to know there are people as wise as you to confront the decisions of others, but you must understand that I'm truly not running away at all.

I've faced fact that nothing I do is worth the time it takes to contemplate; the people here, they don't listen. People here, they are selfish and of churlish demeanor. I grew up the odd one out, one of many, I understand, but still - the one that never fit in.

Evidently, I was never good enough to appeal to their level of social presence, so in turn I was scorned and ridiculed for almost everything I've done. This has been so since long before this choice to move away.

Again, I'm not running, I'm changing things for the better. Please don't believe that I haven't stood up for everything I've done. At every chance presented, I've stood up for who I was or what I speak of or my ideas, wishes and dreams - every time, to no avail.

At home, things are no better. By that fact, they are in a sense worse. Feelings of belittlement and worthlessness coming from your parents and siblings isn't the best of feelings, especially since these are the same people that are supposed to mean the most in ones life. I've come to find myself asking "how can such eternal love be so rotten?"

These feelings aren't fair to anyone. They aren't fair to myself, and of all the effort poured into trying to change things, trying to make the best of what I have and in the end coming short of anything relatively decent, all of this I know now just can't be changed where I am.

I'm not running away. I'm taking all of my strength and putting it somewhere that will enable me to enjoy life, to be happy, to feel wanted and actually loved.

There is an absolution that comes from unconditional empathy; a crisis hotline does not have that. I've tried many times but I thank you for your suggestion.

I just don't deserve being this way. I know, and feel, that I deserve to have a good life and be appreciated of what I want to give. Again, I can't have that where I am - it's impossible by now.

Thank you for caring, Susie. It means much to me.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 15,978 times
I have friends in Duluth who've been out of work for ages. It's a really rough area. I'd suggest moving to Mpls. There's more opportunities for jobs and there's a lot of social services who can help you get on your feet. That being said...I'm wondering why you'd pick this area to move to when you have such limited resources. If you have other choices, maybe a warmer climate would be better for now. If you've never been in a cold climate, this is going to be a huge shock. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:43 PM

150 posts, read 406,137 times
You sound very determined. Believe me, I know the feelings that you are going through. I also left home, right after collage, I ran to Florida. I didn't know anyone, went without having any friends, family or a job there. I was very lucky and landed on my feet. But after 7 years away, I missed my home and family and went back to Michigan. My husband and I (looking for a better life) left Michigan and relocated to northern Minnesota. We're so happy we did and feel blessed to be here.

If you ever want to talk, just PM me here. God Bless you and keep you in any decision that you make.

Susie

Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Oh, sorry Poralia, I believe you missed something I said: I've decided against the Duluth area, and have determined Richfield/Bloomington a better location. I've come to find a lot of good services there from the gracious people on these forums to have supplied me with them, and am very thankful for it.

I am very determined, Susie. Part of all of this has to do with my heart belonging there. I'll be vague in that so as not to impose. I just know my life where I am is not going to last; I haven't the chance to give and love as I possibly could, and I know that this change will give me that opportunity to do so.

Thank you again for your concerns - they all mean so much to me.

-J

Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 12,272 times
If you want equal opportunity, adequate income and a level-playing field to succeed or fail...nothing beats the military. The USAF is closest to civilian life in the jobs it offers and the way of life. If you can accept discipline and being held accountable, then give it four good years. You will find your path in life and confidence to spare...not to mention some really good friends you will make a long the way.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 604 times
I'm trying to leave Texas and move to MN I need help bad it's just me and my one year old son

Old 11-07-2018, 10:19 AM

561 posts, read 325,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette Terrell View Post
I'm trying to leave Texas and move to MN I need help bad it's just me and my one year old son
Antoinette your best bet is to make your own thread instead of a reply to this one. This one is 10 years old and very few people will see your post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota