Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2006, 03:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of Cambridge?

We hadn't really been considering it, but then a job opening came up. I'm a bit concerned about the crime stats though. Violent crime is below average, but property crime is very high for such a small town. That sometimes tends to indicate a drug problem in the area.

So how is Cambridge? Is it a safe community for families? Is there a gang presence in the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 05:54 PM

336 posts, read 513,680 times
I spent the last couple years nearby in North Branch. We drive to Cambridge for some shopping and stuff like that. No gangs in the schools that I am aware of. There are many meth lab busts around the Cambridge area because it is somewhat rural and people think they can get away with it there. Not really anything that you see or need to worry much about though in my opinion. I would consider most of it safe for families, especially the new developments.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Thank you for the input!

Meth is a nationwide problem right now. I'm not concerned with it in that I'm afraid my kids will get into it or anything, but it does become a problem when addicts resort to crime to finance their habit.

Any idea why property crime is so high? There seems to be a lot of burglaries and larcenies in the area. Is that the crackheads stealing to finance their addiction? Is it bored local teens? Any clue?

What is North Branch like? I hadn't heard of that, but looking on the map, I see that it isn't too far from Cambridge.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:55 PM

34 posts, read 227,412 times
One of my husband's family member's lived in North Branch many years ago and always speaks fondly of her time living there. They lived on a few acres. That was at least a decade ago, though. I can't comment on what's going on there now.

I hear about meth a lot on the news here in the Twin Cities. You hear about theft to support the addictions, etc... I, luckily, have not had any first-hand knowledge of a meth-related crime.

It's my uneducated opinion that meth 'labs' are going to be found more in the rural areas where they chemicals are more readily available and the smells associated with the production are going to be less noticible (i.e. farmland). Meth use and the associated crime is going to be everywhere. The best thing to do is report any suspicious behavior even if it's from the "nicest" of neighbors.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 PM

336 posts, read 513,680 times
I know labs get busted around there, but I don't think the crime is from drug addicts trying to fund their habits. The crime is most likely from bored local teens breaking into cars and stealing 4 wheelers, stuff like that.

North Branch is about a 15 minute drive from Cambridge. It has more people than Cambridge, but less big box stores/fast food places. North Branch has more of a small town feel in my opinion, even with the higher population. It also has a good location just off I-35 so you can be in downtown or at the airport within 45 minutes if traffic is not bad. Crime is low as far as I know and have seen. My younger brother and sister both went to the schools for a couple years before graduating and I never heard anything bad about them, except for a policy of lowering students grades if they take too many days off, even if the days are excused by their parents. It just got a new fire station, library, and elementary school in the past year or two. There is just 1 locally owned supermarket in town, but Cambridge and Forest Lake are both 15 minutes away with most big names stores.

I am moving away this week. I want to be in a suburb closer to a major city for work. North Branch might be a good option for you though if you are working in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota