Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,583,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
Being that was born and raised in Las Vegas, NV and most of my family lives in Phoenix now I can assure you that 107 is still hot - very hot. And please realize that the average high temperature is taken over the last 100+ years most of the time the high is around 110+. As to the the dry heat theory:

Phoenix's humidity is normally around 30%-40%
Temp:113 + 35% humidity = 136.9 degrees
For the sake of argument lets say the humidity is 25% (Las Vegas's average humidity)
Temp:113 + 25% humidity = 122.8 degrees

Minneapolis Summer day - on the hotter end but still pretty average
Temp:92 + 75% humidity = 116 degrees

Also realize the Southwest flirts with 100+ weather from April to Oct/Nov. Instead of the 1 month that MN gets hot.

I just wanted to offer the facts in this situation. I have, in science class, fried an egg on a sidewalk. I had to go the hospital as a child due to 2nd degree burns from fastening my safety belt (Car interiors can easily heat up to 140+ within an hour or two.) I had severe allergy problems due to the dust. And I remember quite well opening the front door and it feeling just like opening the oven after thanksgiving dinner.

EDIT: We get -35 below for a week at most NOT for 3-5 months straight - there is no comparison there
I understand that it may be hot for months on end, but don't you see that it's cold here for months on end?

Other than this year (with that heatwave in October/November, can't exactly remember) it's too cold for me from about October until about April. Fall is the worst, because it gets colder from the summer, which is the only time to be able to comfortably walk outside in shorts and a tshirt. So fall is a drag. Spring feels warmer because we're used to the frigid cold. But I don't go walking outside for prolonged periods in a t-shirt in the spring, because I end up getting a major cold if I do.

May is decent, September is decent. June is a mediocre month...always clouds and rain. It seems like in July and August, that's not the case.

Also, I don't think it's too often that Phoenix has 25% humidity at 113 degrees.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

*shrugs*

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 03:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,718,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I understand that it may be hot for months on end, but don't you see that it's cold here for months on end?

Other than this year (with that heatwave in October/November, can't exactly remember) it's too cold for me from about October until about April. Fall is the worst, because it gets colder from the summer, which is the only time to be able to comfortably walk outside in shorts and a tshirt. So fall is a drag. Spring feels warmer because we're used to the frigid cold. But I don't go walking outside for prolonged periods in a t-shirt in the spring, because I end up getting a major cold if I do.

May is decent, September is decent. June is a mediocre month...always clouds and rain. It seems like in July and August, that's not the case.

Also, I don't think it's too often that Phoenix has 25% humidity at 113 degrees.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

*shrugs*
You're right Acrylic. We've been to Arizona more times than I can count....generally during May, June or July. Last June for instance we'd wake up in the morning and the humidity might be 35 or 40 percent when the temps were in the 80's.....but by the heat of the day in the afternoon it would get up to 108 or so and the humidity was in the 8 or 9 percent range....very tolerable for myself anyway.

Obviously you do need to adjust things for the summer season in Scottsdale where we enjoy spending time during the summer, but in my opinion, life is just so much more enjoyable when it's hot then the long dreary cold and grey months in Minnesota.

I guess to be as objective as I can be, look at how people vote with their feet. While Minnesota has a fair number of "snow birds" who are fair weather fans of the climate both here and down south during the most pleasant seasons both places.....how many arizona folks do you see who come to minnesota for the summer ? Not many that I know. Minnesota is widely known as basically the coldest place in the nation and it's a pretty well deserved reputation.

Even in the summer in arizona when you meet people and they ask you were you're from and you say Minnesota, you usually get the look from them that says "oh you poor thing....how do you stand it". I'm just tired of trying to explain and defend something that I myself don't really believe, but how do you admit that it's just because I was born here and have a great job....that just all sounds so weak. I've told my wife for years that someday I want to live somewhere where you don't get the look of pity when you tell them were your home is....lol.

But....to each their own, as it should be.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 03:47 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,668 times
well i guess i would have to say some where warm and sunny! I have SADD! i get lazy in the winter and depressed...........Its obvious i would be happier in the sun/ Fiance want to move to Alaska! What do i do! I love him..........who knows!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

514 posts, read 766,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
You're right Acrylic. We've been to Arizona more times than I can count....generally during May, June or July. Last June for instance we'd wake up in the morning and the humidity might be 35 or 40 percent when the temps were in the 80's.....but by the heat of the day in the afternoon it would get up to 108 or so and the humidity was in the 8 or 9 percent range....very tolerable for myself anyway.

Obviously you do need to adjust things for the summer season in Scottsdale where we enjoy spending time during the summer, but in my opinion, life is just so much more enjoyable when it's hot then the long dreary cold and grey months in Minnesota.

I guess to be as objective as I can be, look at how people vote with their feet. While Minnesota has a fair number of "snow birds" who are fair weather fans of the climate both here and down south during the most pleasant seasons both places.....how many arizona folks do you see who come to minnesota for the summer ? Not many that I know. Minnesota is widely known as basically the coldest place in the nation and it's a pretty well deserved reputation.

Even in the summer in arizona when you meet people and they ask you were you're from and you say Minnesota, you usually get the look from them that says "oh you poor thing....how do you stand it". I'm just tired of trying to explain and defend something that I myself don't really believe, but how do you admit that it's just because I was born here and have a great job....that just all sounds so weak. I've told my wife for years that someday I want to live somewhere where you don't get the look of pity when you tell them were your home is....lol.

Summers in the AZ mountains are superior to MN summers. And they can be reached in less than 2 hrs from the Phoenix area. Where can a Minnesotan drive in 2 hrs in the winter to be warm? We left MN in January 66 to move to Phx and never looked back. Although we're now in San Diego, which we think is superior to everywhere, we enjoyed AZ very much. The humidity in Phoenix rarely exceeds 25% and has long stretches in the single digits.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,583,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post

I know exactly what you mean about the look of pity. When I went in October, we went on a couple tours, but the one where we actually got questioned about it was at the Biosphere. To make us feel better, the guy said "Well, we did get some frost on the mountains last night". I just wanted to tell him "You don't even KNOW what frost is"...but refrained.

I try and defend my home state as much as possible, but cannot when it comes to weather. Everything else about MN is top notch. I absolutely love the Cities, but weather is a HUGE factor in my life. Some people can function properly when it's cold out... I can't.

I know it may sound weak that you're here because of a great job, but that is kind of a valid reason to stay put, especially in these tough economic times. I'll be done with college in '10, and I'm hoping things will get better economically. Other than family, I have nothing holding me back. Heck, some of my family may even joing me in AZ. I don't want to be per say "stuck" here, so I'm going to try to get out and if things work out in the Phoenix area, I have a feeling I'll be happy.

Everyone else can have their bitter winters. I'll survive this winter, and the winter coming up, and I'm off to somewhere with hot summers and of the rest of the year being awesome.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 AM

630 posts, read 2,435,007 times
Default Tennessee for me

Well it looks like I'm the only one going to Tennessee.
Not East, too many retirees there. We'll be moving to Middle Tennessee.

My hubby is a real born here Minnesotan and he's tired of the cold and long winters.
Me; I'm a southern girl and my family is in Tennessee, so I can hardly wait to get back home.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM

65 posts, read 135,343 times
In my condo complex there are right now over 30 cars with MN plates. My upstairs neighbor id from there. Her sister is coming down next week to take a look at my condo that is for sale.

Going to the Minnesota Tweens / Yankee game today.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 PM

13 posts, read 44,973 times
Tried The SW, but toooooo HOT!

Moved back ASAP and loving it!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 PM

73,143 posts, read 62,819,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Nana View Post
Tried The SW, but toooooo HOT!

Moved back ASAP and loving it!
Happy to see that you like MN.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 PM

23,283 posts, read 29,145,078 times
I moved out of MN in 1993, spent three years in Phoenix, and then to Las Vegas which has drier summers/less humidity, a lower cost of living and a less harrassing police force. What I miss most about Phoenix is the richer soil to grow plants and the Midwestern flavor (60% of those who move to Arizona have roots in the Midwest, a big contingent from Chicago).

I didn't leave MN because of the cold or the snow (Oh how I miss those snowstorms!), but clouds were the issue. Give me 300 days of sunshine a year and I'll put up with below zero weather, snowdrifts a good part of the year, and the insufferable humidity of Minnesota summers.

In the Meteorology section of the People's Almanac it will reveal what various temperatures and humidity FEEL like. On a hot summer day in Minnesota with 90 degrees and the humidity is at 80% it FEELS like 113 degrees. (My family back in MN doesn't understand why I refuse to visit them in summer) Here in Las Vegas, at 105 degrees @ 10% humidity (there are days in summer here where the humidity is as low as 5%) it FEELS like 100 degrees.

BUT, we suffer here in winter, due to the lack of humidity. And there's that windchill factor as well. When the temp drops to 30 degrees at night here in winter, and pack in one of our notorious 30-40MPH winds behind that, I swear to God, on a day like that, it FEELS colder than anywhere in Minnesota! Brrrrr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota