Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2023, 10:53 AM

401 posts, read 318,975 times

Advertisements

I have been googling to find the answer to this but the examples don't apply to my situation, so I thought I'd ask the public in case anyone in here is knowledgable when it comes to the laws in Minnesota regarding uninhabitable homes.

I live in a 55-year old flat-roofed mobile home; I own it, but I rent my lot in a trailer park.

My main concern is this; Can I stay living here even if it was deemed uninhabitable? (it is my only option for the foreseeable future)

I can't afford to hire an inspector, which is why I'm hoping someone could tell me based on the description of the problems

I am on some section 8 waiting lists but recently learned that I probably would not be able to afford rent in an apartment even if I were getting rental assistance, however, I want to get to that point to see the actual numbers to know if it would be possible or not, but I can't get to that point unless I can prove my trailer is uninhabitable first THEN I'd get the voucher.

What is wrong with the trailer: visible mold (already had some removed a few years ago), water damage (warped walls and flooring), leaky roof (tried fixing it, didn't work), parts of the ceiling are warping and might collapse (leaking getting worse every year), water pipes freeze for half of every winter (this has been happening since before I lived here 8 years ago), skirting is old and not secured with many gaps and holes unfixable (can't afford new skirting)

So basically I'm hoping someone can tell me whether or not it sounds like it would be deemed uninhabitable first, then I could get the inspection knowing that going into debt for that would be worth it, then I could tell the housing authority and they'd give me the section 8 voucher and then I could see if I can afford an apartment BUT if I can't afford it then I would need to stay here but in order for that to happen I need to know if I would even be allowed to stay here. If not, I'll have to just stay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 02:19 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
The park you rent the lot from may have a say about this. They are probably subject to various safety codes so if your property violates those codes they might be able to force some sort of inspection, which might lead to some sort of condemnation. Instead of being a habitability issue for you (gaining you the eligibility for section 8 you want), it could end up being a liability issue for the park. What you want may not play into it. You could be forced to remove your property from the park. If the home can't be moved, the whole habitability thing ends up being moot. Manufactured homes are not considered real estate in MN, just personal property (like a decrepit prefab shed in the back yard). Homes older than a certain date don't seem to require licensing, you aren't renting it to anyone, and you aren't selling it, so it may not trigger inspections or a certificate of occupancy.

Contact these agencies. They may be able to answer your habitability question.

http://dli.mn.gov/sites/default/file...fs_1350_ms.pdf

https://www2.minneapolismn.gov/busin...-of-occupancy/

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-12-2023 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-12-2023, 08:46 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Sounds a bit similar to my aunt's place, she did not clean or maintain it properly and everything was in disrepair. We were afraid Adult Protective Services would be called since she had created a dangerous living situation. She ended up having a bad fall and ended up in a nursing home.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:07 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/pers...ssistance.html
You say your lot rent is 400/mo and that is 15% of your income and you draw that out of an inherited IRA. All your threads are about your wants and needs and refusals to do anything you do not want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota