Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2023, 03:54 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/MvD0lex2GO0?t=105

1:57 - the trooper says he can't pursue. Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 01:53 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
https://youtu.be/MvD0lex2GO0?t=105

1:57 - the trooper says he can't pursue. Why not?
If they would just end the stupid War On Drugs, there would be no reason to chase them in the first place.

But if you had watched the video to the end, the answer to your question would be apparent. 6:37 in the video. "Officers en route planned to surveillance the vehicle waiting for them to enter a more rural area to avoid civilian injuries." Would you have rather they had a shootout in a developed area?

If you want to live in a state that has no restrictions on police chases, I might recommend Arkansas. Arkansas cops can and do chase cars, no matter how dangerous the chase is or how minor the reason for the chase is. There is one YouTube channel just devoted to Arkansas police chases, with new videos uploaded daily. It shows some of the craziest most dangerous chases you will see anywhere. Personally it makes me happy I don't live in that state, but to each his own. Maybe that is your cup of tea.

Old 08-04-2023, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have a pursuit ban here in our state of Washington. It's ridiculous when the freeway speed limit is 60, but traffic is moving at 75, and a motorcycle passes us like we are standing still, right past a state patrol car, who doesn't budge. They did recently modify the law to allow chasing in some additional circumstances, but not for speeding.

https://www.axios.com/local/seattle/...shington-state

Old 08-04-2023, 01:01 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
But if you had watched the video to the end, the answer to your question would be apparent. 6:37 in the video. "Officers en route planned to surveillance the vehicle waiting for them to enter a more rural area to avoid civilian injuries." Would you have rather they had a shootout in a developed area?

I did watch the video to the end. And I hear what you are saying, but 6:37 still does not answer the Q for me.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:56 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Allow me to provide the quickest and most honest answer - the Minnesota DFL hates cops and will do anything in their power to hamstring them. Enjoy your day.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:30 AM

303 posts, read 237,078 times
Since the early 90s, Law Enforcement agencies, collectively, started greatly restricting the use of pursuits.

Research, and my experience, indicates that most pursuits end in an accident. Sometimes the suspect gets hurt, sometimes civilians, sometimes officers. Sometimes everyone gets hurt, sometimes people die.

Back in the day the "policy" was that if there was no accident, then obviously it was a good pursuit. If there was an accident, then clearly it was "bad."

There's a lot of litigation in the US, and departments got tired of spending serious money settling these suits.

It's not just Minnesota, it's nationwide.

There are a lot of factors that are used to justify a pursuit; nature of crime, road conditions, traffic, info on suspect, etc that officers have to consider/factor in. First line supervisors (Sergeants, usually) get training on vicarious liability that could put them on the hook if they allow a pursuit to continue.

I could prattle on a bit but that's the short version.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:35 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Here is what happens when you give cops unlimited power to chase. A pursuit at speeds over 100 mph on wet pavement, past flashing school bus lights, and in the end the cop almost kills himself, rolling over his car while attempting to do a 100 mph PIT maneuver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9l9-IYCkrc

Old 08-11-2023, 06:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Allow me to provide the quickest and most honest answer - the Minnesota DFL hates cops and will do anything in their power to hamstring them. Enjoy your day.
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota