Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 11:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times

Advertisements

If you'll be driving through Wisconsin, a major detour from the freeway is worth it to check out The House on the Rock. It's one of the most amazing, beautiful, astonishingly bizarre attractions I've ever experienced.

It's also just a few miles away from Taliesin, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's residences he had built into the side of a hill in a scenic setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 08:45 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
There are also huge variations within the state of Wisconsin regarding landscape, terrain, tree types, and lakes. You might want to include the lake country of northern Wisconsin, west to Lake Superior and the North Shore of Minnesota. So many national forests, state forests, and lakes to see.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:57 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
If coming from Chicago maybe do Route 66 for part of the drive. It may go too far out of your way but we are thinking of doing it.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 17,134 times
If you love nature go to Duluth on Lake Superior. It's about a three hour drive from Minneapolis. If you do go, stop in Hinckley at Tobies. It's just off the exit and directly on the right as you exit. It is a popular place for people to stop. They have ENORMUS cinnamon rolls, pecan rolls and other things. Super good.

My son and I went up to Duluth a few weeks ago. Hotels are a bit expensive, but depending on what you want, the best hotel in the city is by far the Inn on Lake Superior. It's on the waterfront and about $200 a night. We stayed across the bay in Superior, Wisconsin and paid about $130 at a Hampton Inn. Awesome view and even a lighthouse. Cool to see it at night.

Drive up to Betty's for pies (again, a must stop for everyone) and go to Split Rock lighthouse. There are trails that lead you down to the lake. Lots of history. My favorite is the Glensheen Mansion. It's from the 1920s or 30s I think. A famous murder happened there too.

Lots of beauty in Minnesota for the nature person, hiking etc.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:22 AM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibledad50 View Post
If you love nature go to Duluth on Lake Superior. It's about a three hour drive from Minneapolis. If you do go, stop in Hinckley at Tobies. It's just off the exit and directly on the right as you exit. It is a popular place for people to stop. They have ENORMUS cinnamon rolls, pecan rolls and other things. Super good.

My son and I went up to Duluth a few weeks ago. Hotels are a bit expensive, but depending on what you want, the best hotel in the city is by far the Inn on Lake Superior. It's on the waterfront and about $200 a night. We stayed across the bay in Superior, Wisconsin and paid about $130 at a Hampton Inn. Awesome view and even a lighthouse. Cool to see it at night.

Drive up to Betty's for pies (again, a must stop for everyone) and go to Split Rock lighthouse. There are trails that lead you down to the lake. Lots of history. My favorite is the Glensheen Mansion. It's from the 1920s or 30s I think. A famous murder happened there too.

Lots of beauty in Minnesota for the nature person, hiking etc.
The OP clearly stated in post #3 that they do not want to go to Duluth

Old 05-23-2022, 05:23 PM

22 posts, read 74,545 times
I like the idea of driving on Route 66 part of the way, will look into that - thanks. I will look up House on the Rock as well, sounds interesting.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:26 PM

22 posts, read 74,545 times
W.r.t. Wisconsin Dells - the funny thing is, I saw the river cruise with the interesting rock formations, and have wanted to see it for a while. I didn't even know that there were amusement parks there. We wouldn't want to go to an amusement park - any boat cruise recommendations?

The last time we came to Minnesota/Wisconsin, we stayed one night on a farm in Wisconsin and did a boat trip to see the caves on the Lake Superior shoreline - that was wonderful.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:31 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Even though (you do not want to go to Duluth) the best boat cruise excursions, are on Lake Superior, especially the ones out of Duluth, going around the harbor and such, especially out on the lake itself. You could (maybe) Call and find out, take a boat cruise out to Madeline Island, you can take the car with you, or just bikes, that is over near Bayfield.

https://madferry.com/

Sometimes in the winter, you can drive your car out there, or ride a fat tire bike out there. Such fun. Or you can even walk out there.

Last edited by demtion35; 05-23-2022 at 07:44 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 08:26 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gruffalo View Post
W.r.t. Wisconsin Dells - the funny thing is, I saw the river cruise with the interesting rock formations, and have wanted to see it for a while. I didn't even know that there were amusement parks there. We wouldn't want to go to an amusement park - any boat cruise recommendations?
Upper Dells Boat Tour

https://www.dellsboats.com/

Old 05-25-2022, 08:14 AM

333 posts, read 180,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gruffalo View Post
I've asked this on the travel forum, asking here as well since I might get more local information.

We have to travel to Minneapolis in June, and were thinking of combining this with a road trip, 4-5 days. I am looking for options from the West, Yellowstone onward - its about 5-6 hours of driving a day which we know we can do - we love long road trips.

However, I'm also trying to come up with options from the east, with Chicago as a planned stop. I saw there are some boat cruises in the Wisconsin Dells area which take you past some really interesting rock formations. If we want to visit Chicago, and slowly wind our way towards Minneapolis, what are some (or many) interesting places to visit in this area? We are flying from San Francisco, so we can start from anywhere (as long as I can buy airline tickets and rent a car!)

We like long drives, open spaces, hiking, boat rides, big cities, museums - and if a trip can mix up all of these, all the better.
Skip Wisconsin Dells, it's a trashy tourist trap.

Head due West from Chicago and hit Galena before following the Mississippi River jumping back and forth between Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota as it suits your fancy on your way to the TC.

Very little of Rt 66 exists in the Midwest and you will waste hours back-tracking, all for the experience of driving a few hundred feet of original Rt 66 roadway.

A better experience can be had on the older, longer, more preserved and more significant Lincoln Highway...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincol...and_dedication

Last edited by Shawn Ford; 05-25-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota